• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madam's Organ (in Adams Morgan)

Roger Troutman

Have you actually ever eaten at Madam's Organ?  I've always thought of it as a drinking joint - would never occur to me to order food there.

Those of you with a fear of Adams Morgan after the sun goes down are missing out on some seriously good soul food. I go to Madam's Organ regularly, just for the food.

They do open at 5pm, so maybe y'all can wait until springtime and get in there before dark :raz:

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Have you actually ever eaten at Madam's Organ?  I've always thought of it as a drinking joint - would never occur to me to order food there.

Those of you with a fear of Adams Morgan after the sun goes down are missing out on some seriously good soul food. I go to Madam's Organ regularly, just for the food.

They do open at 5pm, so maybe y'all can wait until springtime and get in there before dark :raz:

Yes, but what exactly do they serve? And if you go early, does the place smell like stale beer from the night before?

I second the Madam's Organ. Roger Troutman and I go there on a regular basis and not only are the greens and fried chicken out of this world, if you get there before 8, all rail drinks are 2 for 1. And another thing? on Sunday's all the entres are 1/2 price.

Time to expand your minds a bit, playas.

Jennifer

Yes, but what exactly do they serve?  And if you go early, does the place smell like stale beer from the night before?

The place usually smells like grease and cigarettes. But the food is worth having to wash the clothes you wore there two times when you get home.

Menu: http://www.madamsorgan.com/menu.html

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Yes, but what exactly do they serve?  And if you go early, does the place smell like stale beer from the night before?

The place usually smells like grease and cigarettes. But the food is worth having to wash the clothes you wore there two times when you get home.

Menu: http://www.madamsorgan.com/menu.html

Okay - that's a respectable menu - but I'll be really impressed if someone can find a place that serves OKRA slimy and not fried.....

I second the Madam's Organ.  Roger Troutman and I go there on a regular basis and not only  are the greens and fried chicken out of this world, if you get there before 8, all rail drinks are 2 for 1.  And another thing?  on Sunday's all the entres are 1/2 price.

Time to expand your minds a bit, playas.

I just had a fuzzy drunken memory flashback to a few years ago when I tried their fried chicken. I recall being amazed at how good it was. I might have to make a trip on Sunday.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Madam's Organ is often dissed for no reason. What most don't realize is that above the noise and grunge of the first floor, there is actually a second and a third floor made of cozy if shabby separate rooms with bars in most of them. With, like, fireplaces (I think) and wingback chairs.

The vibe there is that of a British B&B that fell on hard times...or had a child with a biker bar. Very Adams Morgan and great for b-day parties - if you have more than 50 guests and want to run after midnight.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Madam's Organ is often dissed for no reason.

For me, having lived in that hood helped me change my mind about everything. It helped me see straight.

It was the filthy bum and his exposed ass crack in front of the piss-covered brick walkway to McDonald's that tainted every single establishment on that block.

I know, I sound like a spoiled yuppie...

For me, having lived in that hood helped me change my mind about everything. It helped me see straight.

It was the filthy bum and his exposed ass crack in front of the piss-covered brick walkway to McDonald's that tainted every single establishment on that block.

I'll pay anyone twenty bucks if they can crawl the entire alley behind Madam's Organ at midnight - the one running between Columbia and Kalorama Roads. Hell, if you make it to the parking garage near Belmont I'll give you ten. The only question is whether you'll get devoured by a rat, mugged, or die from dehydration due to vomiting. Eeewwww.

I'll pay anyone twenty bucks if they can crawl the entire alley behind Madam's Organ at midnight - the one running between Columbia and Kalorama Roads.  Hell, if you make it to the parking garage near Belmont I'll give you ten.  The only question is whether you'll get devoured by a rat, mugged, or die from dehydration due to vomiting.  Eeewwww.

What I wanna know is....how do YOU know so well what all of these options are? And what the proper compensation should be? And where all the little alleys run to? Hmmmm....

Resident Twizzlebum

I have no idea if the food is any good or not, but I love the name. It is a great play on words.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have no idea if the food is any good or not, but I love the name. It is a great play on words.

You should see their rather ample logo!

Where the beautiful people go to get ugly!

Edited to add link to logo.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'll pay anyone twenty bucks if they can crawl the entire alley behind Madam's Organ at midnight - the one running between Columbia and Kalorama Roads.  Hell, if you make it to the parking garage near Belmont I'll give you ten.  The only question is whether you'll get devoured by a rat, mugged, or die from dehydration due to vomiting.  Eeewwww.

What I wanna know is....how do YOU know so well what all of these options are? And what the proper compensation should be? And where all the little alleys run to? Hmmmm....

There are also the possibilities of stepping in human feces, sliding down a gravel embankment (graced with loitering gang members) due to a misstep onto island-sized piece of littered "Jumbo Slice" pizza ...or being pecked to death by a slew of albino pigeons. Very scary stuff. But the good news is...is...is...it makes getting to your car seem like the big reward (even if your car is shit!). The End.

PS: On the shitty car note.

One time, my Dad (we are bad people) put a an open bag of nasty Chips Ahoy cookies in the open car window of the prick that kept parking in the spot that belonged to him (because he, well, he bought it...)

and when we drove by later in the night there were, like, three rats and a kitty cat in the car!! It was medieval, to say the least...

woof woof.

Edited by morela (log)

I'll pay anyone twenty bucks if they can crawl the entire alley behind Madam's Organ at midnight - the one running between Columbia and Kalorama Roads. Hell, if you make it to the parking garage near Belmont I'll give you ten. The only question is whether you'll get devoured by a rat, mugged, or die from dehydration due to vomiting. Eeewwww.

This alley is literally my backyard. I walk it every morning from just about directly behind Madam's Organ to the parking garage. That's right- I'm street tough.

That must be worth more than $20...