• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Didier

snoopy64

I've been watching the activity at the late Rhodes Restaurant at Yonge and St.Clair. Today a sign went up announcing what will presumably be a French restaurant called "Didier"

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Didier Leroy running my neighbourhood Bistro would be great - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

There have been quite a few restaurant changes in this area lately. Last month a pan-asian place called Ocean opened on Yonge just south of St.Clair. I've been twice, and while the service is a little muddled (they don't seem to know what's on their own menu), they are attentive and the food is decent but not outstanding.

A new Italian place opened up in the premises of the late Delisle Court Restaurant - has anyone tried it?

News on Didier - workman I talked to said it is opening around Nov 28. It will be a mid-to-upscale resaurant.  French cuisine from south of France/Basque region.

Basque cuisine is something to get me really excited about this restaurant. I'm curious, which workman had this info? The carpenter, plumber, or electrician? :raz:

-- Jason

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Didier on its opening night (we were the second table seated at the restaurant). Though the service was rather slow, the food was outstanding. For starters, my wife had a tarlette with escargot and chantrelle mushrooms while I had medallion of Quebec fois gras. For main course, she had wild caribou which was cooked to perfection - seared out the outside and medium rare on the inside. I had Duck Confit which was also quite good. For dessert, my wife had a delicious molten chocolate cake topped with candy coated pistachios and a pistachio coulis while I had a wonderful souffle with chestnut and grand marnier. All in all, it was a great meal and we would go again.

They also have a small cafe area which will open in a couple of weeks which will serve cheeses, smoked meat and fish plates. We'll have to try that out as well.

We went to Didier on its opening night (we were the second table seated at the restaurant).  Though the service was rather slow, the food was outstanding.  For starters, my wife had a tarlette with escargot and chantrelle mushrooms while I had medallion of Quebec fois gras.  For main course, she had wild caribou which was cooked to perfection - seared out the outside and medium rare on the inside.  I had Duck Confit which was also quite good.  For dessert, my wife had a delicious molten chocolate cake topped with candy coated pistachios and a pistachio coulis while I had a wonderful souffle with chestnut and grand marnier.  All in all, it was a great meal and we would go again.

They also have a small cafe area which will open in a couple of weeks which will serve cheeses, smoked meat and fish plates.  We'll have to try that out as well.

Sounds great! What was the price point, if you don't mind, and did that include alcohol. How is the wine list?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
We went to Didier on its opening night (we were the second table seated at the restaurant).  Though the service was rather slow, the food was outstanding.  For starters, my wife had a tarlette with escargot and chantrelle mushrooms while I had medallion of Quebec fois gras.  For main course, she had wild caribou which was cooked to perfection - seared out the outside and medium rare on the inside.  I had Duck Confit which was also quite good.  For dessert, my wife had a delicious molten chocolate cake topped with candy coated pistachios and a pistachio coulis while I had a wonderful souffle with chestnut and grand marnier.  All in all, it was a great meal and we would go again.

They also have a small cafe area which will open in a couple of weeks which will serve cheeses, smoked meat and fish plates.  We'll have to try that out as well.

Sounds great! What was the price point, if you don't mind, and did that include alcohol. How is the wine list?

We spent around $175 after tax and tip which included 2 glasses of wine at $12 each. (My wife does not drink wine so I can't order a bottle). The first glass of wine was actually supposed to be Kir but I got something else instead.

• 1 month later...

I have heard some good things from a number of friends.

But I guess I need to have a look for myself.

Although I have heard an incredibly funny story about about some extraordinary wine markups and a well known Toronto agent blowing her top when the bill arrived (after purchasing her own wine).

Hehehe...

I also believe that the rather talented Daniel Muia is working alongside Didier.

I must check it out.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Wow! I think I may be Joanne Kates in a parallel life!

My experience at Didier was almost a carbon copy.

They NEVER answered the phone. Turned me down 3 times at the last second by eventually returning my messages.

Finally made it and the whole impression was of a restaurant watching every penny, rather than eyeing the food.

The place seems untouched since its Rhodes days. Very short opening hours. A very small menu (probably a good thing to ensure fresh ingredients, but one wonders if this is to avoid food wastage).

Staffed at a bare minimum - but service was very professional (we were there on a slow night).

Didier 'worked the room' - but only for his friends. 'Unknown' diners were totally ignored (hint: If you're going to appear in the dining room, visit every table).

Food was mixed (maybe the kitchen is still settling in) and had exactly the same misunderstanding with the foie gras. Assumed it was seared/hot - the menu (and the server) do not help dispel this misconception.

And best dish was the chicken.

At around $100 per person, there are many choices in Toronto that provide greater satisfaction.

Does anyone know if the cafe area has opened yet? If so, has anyone been to it yet? I'd love to hear about the menu and atmosphere.

Thanx!

cava_girl