• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] El puebilito

jscarbor

I have to say that this place turns out consistantly good fish at bare bones pricing. Over my last couple visits (many people I know like the outside area) i have tried some non fish items that were merely avg. Today I had the crazy snapper and it was great. And on top of that it was a big ass filet for only $6.50! The crazy snapper is a filet with a lemon artichoke sauce and it is tasty.

If you go make sure to get the fish! Otherwise its really not worth messing with.

Have you an address? I am not familiar with this place.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh my... that does look like a pleasant place. And I am hungry for some good ceviche. This time of year, we have many opportunities to enjoy patio dining. Many thanks for the info and the link. It is now at the top of next place to try. If I make it, I will report back.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 4 weeks later...

oh man i love el pueblito! i haven't been there in years. yes the fish is so good. and i love the pineapple salsa.

i brought a friend visiting from mexico there once. she absolutely hated it. nothing ever really tastes like home i guess.

I totally agree about everything non-fish being barely passable. I have had horrific enchiladas there. I only go there for fish dishes and of course, their amazing breakfast. I love getting chips and their delicious salsa on groggy Sat AMs. The parking there is getting stupid, eh?

El Pueblito is the most dramatic example of the power of a published restaurant review that I have witnessed. Living in the area and attracted by its brightly colored storefront, I ate there the week it opened. No patio, no parking lot, no liquor, no other customers. Ate solo and took friends there 4-5 more times over the next month or so with never more than a few other people in the place. Then Robb Walsh reviewed it in the Press. The Friday after the review, there was a line out the door and around the side of the building. I haven't eaten there since, although that's more just my personal thing.

From Day One, it's been all about the fish. As for the Crazy Snapper, it's doubtful they're serving Red Snapper for $6.50, tasty as it is...see Robb Walsh's snapper expose archived somewhere on the Press website.

If the Snapper really isn't snapper (which is quite possible) then the fish they do serve is a very close relative because it certainly looks like snapper and tastes great. I guess the filet is about 6 oz or so? What does a pound of snapper filet run? $10? That would certainly make you wonder if it is snapper. Its too bad we cant get a true explanation from restaurants on what kind of fish we are served.

If the Snapper really isn't snapper (which is quite possible) then the fish they do serve is a very close relative because it certainly looks like snapper and tastes great. I guess the filet is about 6 oz or so? What does a pound of snapper filet run? $10? That would certainly make you wonder if it is snapper. Its too bad we cant get a true explanation from restaurants on what kind of fish we are served.

Actually, if the fish really is good, I could care less what it is. I would also doubt if that is really "red snapper." I have also heard that sometimes sheepshead is called "bay snapper." We used to use those for cut bait. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I guess the point of the whole do you get the tyoe of fish you ordered debate is 1. people pay more for snapper (which isn't the case at E P since it is so cheap and 2. if you ordered a filet and received a sirloin you would be pissed.