• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baja Fresh

Curlz

The rout 23 BF had the sign about the Pico also but said you could ask for some at the counter....

definately better than BK or anything like that

my mom and sat right up against the glass next to the grill last time...and the grill-man asked how everything was as we were leaving.... :biggrin:

tracey

ooops the grill did not ask how everything was

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have tried Qdoba and it was "alright" - are these chains similar?

Definitely similar, 'tho the only thing I've ever had at Qdoba is their (steak) burrito in a bowl--and I get it EVERY time I go! Not often, but when I do get it, I think it's pretty tasty for what it is.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What I don't understand is the BF practice of serving burritos stuffed with among other things, rice. A rice stuffed burrito? Could they pehapse serve it also with a side of mashed potatoes or stuff it with pasta? Maybe they could make it a sandwich, Rice stuffed burrito with mashed potatoes on a hoagie roll?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I have tried Qdoba and it was "alright" - are these chains similar?

Definitely similar, 'tho the only thing I've ever had at Qdoba is their (steak) burrito in a bowl--and I get it EVERY time I go! Not often, but when I do get it, I think it's pretty tasty for what it is.

Don't have much other choice in Short Hills Mall!

:biggrin:

we have a bf on rt 66 in neptune nj near my office. i really like it. as crazy as this may sound, i dont look at it as mexican, just a lunch alternative to burgers and the cafeteria at the o. i has always been fresh and good but the chips are bland. i only use them as a vessel for the salsa.

we also have surf taco down here that serves fish tacos. the first time i went, they were so good i was probably there 3x week for a couple of weeks. then all of sudden they seemed change (for the worse) and i didnt go back for a yr or so. back about a month ago and tasty once again.

If you like Fish Tacos you ought to check out The Shack in Sea Bright (Across from Harrys Lobster House). They do great Baja Tacos and their guacamole is killer. Another bonus is their burritos totally lack rice stuffing...

=Mark

What I don't understand is the BF practice of serving burritos stuffed with among other things, rice.  A rice stuffed burrito?  Could they pehapse serve it also with a side of mashed potatoes or stuff it with pasta?  Maybe they could make it a sandwich, Rice stuffed burrito with mashed potatoes on a hoagie roll?

I can just hear Tony Shalhoub in "Big Night" shouting out, "He ordered two starches!"

But enough movie quotes. Curlz was kind enough to invite me to the Jersey board, so I'll chime in here:

Many quality Mexican joints here in Chicago serve seasoned rice in their burritos. One of my favorites, the now-departed Burrito Buggy, served a Salad Bar Burrito with spinach, carrots, mushrooms, rice, whole beans and the typical tomato 'n onion mixture.

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Of course given what they do to hotdogs and pizza, I'm not sure Chicago should be the arbiter of which ingredients belong in any specific cuisine... :rolleyes:

=Mark

Of course given what they do to hotdogs and pizza, I'm not sure Chicago should be the arbiter of which ingredients belong in any specific cuisine...  :rolleyes:

Them there's fightin' words, EqualMark!! :raz:

A hot dog is mighty tasty with pickles, tomatoes, onions, relish, sport peppers & celery salt. Nestled into a poppy seed bun, I might add, is the best way to serve said doggie.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

Baja Fresh has made it to South Jersey finally!! It's in Voorhees (Camden County.) I think the positioning of this chain is perfect. The quality is so much better than pizza or fast food. I had eaten at them since 1990 in California. The takeout containers are great because things don't get mushy as is often the case for Mexican food!!

I've always heard these chains - Baja, La Salsa, Desert Moon, etc, - refered to as "California Mexican" or "California Fresh Mexican". I'd hazard a guess that they are referred to this way because . . . actually I won't go there but someone else is welcome to. :rolleyes: One thing to remember is that these are not examples of regional mexican cuisine, if you are looking for that you are going to hate it. If you are looking for decent "quickly prepared" tacos - say without nacho cheese sauce and soy fillers - these are pretty good. They definately fill a niche in the conveniece food market.

As for rice in burritos, being a Chicago native I always thought it odd when rice was not offered as an option to put in burritos. Figured it was a regional difference in cuisine. That is US regional.

One thing I'd love them to start making is Tortas, but given the current trend away from starches I don't see that happening.

One side note - Dessert Moon does not make fish tacos, but they do have a shrimp one.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

Of course given what they do to hotdogs and pizza, I'm not sure Chicago should be the arbiter of which ingredients belong in any specific cuisine...  :rolleyes:

A hot dog is mighty tasty with pickles, tomatoes, onions, relish, sport peppers & celery salt. Nestled into a poppy seed bun, I might add, is the best way to serve said doggie.

I always wondered why chicagoans were so afraid of actually tasting the hot dog by covering it up with all that crap. :smile:

You might note that in the epicenter of hot dog gustatory - NNJ - that most people use at most 2 condiments. (I use one)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Of course given what they do to hotdogs and pizza, I'm not sure Chicago should be the arbiter of which ingredients belong in any specific cuisine...   :rolleyes:

I always wondered why chicagoans were so afraid of actually tasting the hot dog by covering it up with all that crap. :smile:

You might note that in the epicenter of hot dog gustatory - NNJ - that most people use at most 2 condiments. (I use one)

Yeah, and in NNJ they are also known for deep frying them :huh: Can't be any worse than adding the sport peppers - which, although Chicago Born and raised, even worked in a (then famous) Hype Park deli for years - I never got.

Thus begins our paen to regional differences, etc., etc.

All jokes aside we should keep this thread on Baja - type take out, right?

Here is a general discussion on Hot Dogs:

General Hot Dog Topic

AlisonA

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 2 months later...

Went up Rt. 17 today, and was surprised to see a few new additions on both sides of the road...for starters, they're putting up a Lowes across the street from the new(ish) strip mall that houses Baja Fresh in Rutherford (not food-related, but still a pleasant surprise). Then on the return trip, I saw that another Baja Fresh has opened on the front end of the parking lot of the Pathmark in Hackensack. AND, in the space that was once a Ground Round (iirc), a combo Qdoba/Maggie Moos! I have to admit that I'm definitely a fan of Qdoba's naked steak burrito. Basically the contents of a burrito, but it's all in a bowl, and you can get the tortilla on the side if you want it. I don't know what they marinate the steak in, but between that and their lime/cilantro rice, I love it! Any time I've gone to Qdoba, I've wanted to try to order something else, but always end up with the same thing. :rolleyes: I only know of two other Qdobas--one at the Short Hills Mall, the other on Rt. 10 in Denville. Are these places popping up all over NJ now? Baja Fresh certainly seems to be...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

They just opened one on Route 1 in Edison--haven't seen it yet, but we received a letter in the mail yesterday announcing their opening, which included a coupon.

We may stop in one weeknight when I don't feel like cooking!

Casey

I only know of two other Qdobas--one at the Short Hills Mall, the other on Rt. 10 in Denville.

There's a Qdoba on Washington St. in Hoboken, been there a few years. I find the burritos are just too frickin' big to bother with. Anyway, there are some independent burrito places in town that I prefer -- Mision Burrito and El Barrio Burrito.

There's also a Fresh Tortillas that opened a couple years back, not far from Qdoba. I'm guessing we may get a Baja Fresh soon enough, to put the burrito-per-capita count for Hoboken somewhere in the double-digits.

Christopher

We just tried out the new Baja Fresh on Route 1 for lunch today. It's nice to have one reasonably local to my office (although it could be a little closer to Iselin!) It actually wasn't too busy, which was nice - my wife has told me horror stories about how crazy the one in East Hanover gets around lunchtime.

• 5 months later...

If you want really good Mexican Fast, Go to Qdoba. There is one on 17 south in carlstadt and another on washington Street in Hoboken. It is one one the greatest things to ever happen in the history of mankind. Has anyone else ever heard of this joint?

Qdoba is a good place....I have been there a few times - the burrittos are huge!

If you want really good Mexican Fast, Go to Qdoba.  There is one on 17 south in carlstadt and another on washington Street in Hoboken.  It is one one the greatest things to ever happen in the history of mankind.  Has anyone else ever heard of this joint?

Visited the one on Rt 22 once, not that long after they opened, because they sent out "2 for 1" mailers. I think I ordered a couple of soft tacos. I was surprised to learn that I'd have to wait 15 minutes to get my food, despite the fact that the place didn't look that busy, and wasn't really much of a sit-down place. You may as well order fish tacos, because my chicken taco tasted fishy, most probably from being cooked on the same grill as fish. If I'm going to have to wait or call ahead for Mexican, I'd go to a better place. Other than the fishy taste of the chicken, I'd say the food was a bit bland, and not particularly exciting or authentic tasting. I'm surprised these keep opening, as I'd say they're marketing strategy is "stuck in the middle" in terms of quality and convenience. The food's wasn't that great, and it's not that convenient, unless you like planning and calling ahead your order.

If you want really good Mexican Fast, Go to Qdoba.  There is one on 17 south in carlstadt and another on washington Street in Hoboken.  It is one one the greatest things to ever happen in the history of mankind.  Has anyone else ever heard of this joint?

What is the address please? Do you have a link? Thanks. (for Carlstadt not Hoboken!)

When I want good mexican tex/mex I go to La Cucina in Pearl River NY (next to Montvale NJ) or El Toro Loco in Orangeburg NY (near pearl river).

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

What is the address please?  Do you have a link?  Thanks.  (for Carlstadt not Hoboken!) 

It's actually in Hasbrouck Heights. 125 Route 17 South, where the old Ground Round used to be. I think there's a Volvo dealer across the street. They also share the building with a Maggie Moo's ice cream place.

I prefer Chipotle's burritos myself, but I can only get them in the city.