• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It’s not so much the taste of that crystalline form of cocoa fat as its texture, and its stability. Most of the other crystal forms are less compact and stable, don’t form as well integrated a network of interconnected crystals, and therefore have a soft, greasy quality rather than a snappy one. The fat molecules themselves have no flavor.

• Similar Content

• By Douglas K
      I made my fifth ever batch of chocolate over the weekend, a 45% milk chocolate. I did the usual warming of everything, and the batch started off without a hitch. After running 24 hours I got ready to cool the chocolate to temper, and the stone seemed awfully hot. Sure enough the chocolate was 147 degrees F. Normally it comes out at around 120. The chocolate seemed kind of thick, but this is my first batch as low as 45%, so not sure if that’s normal. The chocolate tempered just fine, and tastes fine for have gotten so hot. I’m wondering if I got a minuscule amount of water in the batch? I’m not sure how that would have happened, though thinking of everything ad nauseum I can think of possibilities. The ingredients themselves are all ones I’ve used before without issue, though first time with the roasted nibs, but they came from the same reliable source as all my other nibs. Just curious if anyone else has seen this happen.
    • By Wisper
      Hi, 

I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 
      These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 

What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?
      I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?
      It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

any suggestion will be appreciated.
    • By Douglas K
      I am new to chocolate, but have been a home cook all my life. I have been reading here for awhile as I go on my chocolate journey. I learn a lot from the things I read here, but I really don’t have a lot to contribute since I am such a novice, especially with chocolate, so I thought I’d share something light with the community to hopefully give you something fun to take your mind off of some of our intensity these days. Sunday I made my second batch ever of bonbons, and they’re made with my own chocolate, a lavender ganache filling with a little taste of salted caramel. I saw this little guy on top of one of my leaf bonbons offering to protect it from any renegade bugs as they sat on the counter. I love these little jumping spiders, and they’re welcome in my house any time. Cute little sucker who hung out for quite awhile. Anyhow, something lighter for your day.

• By eglies
      Hello everyone. 

Ive encountered some issues with my truffles. 
      I use truffle shells and have made a caramel recipe and it seems to be leaking. Any tips on what i should do?

Attached is a photo to show a clear image of what i am describing!

Thankss 😀
      IMG_6005.pdf
    • By Chris Hennes
      I'm making another cooking video, this time about a chocolate cake from The Geeky Chef Cookbook. And the frosting recipe is basically garbage: 1 stick of butter to 165 grams (1 3/4 cups!!!!) of cocoa powder. So in the video I need to say something along the lines of "A normal frosting recipe has more like XX cocoa powder per stick of butter." So can I get a quick spot-check here? For your preferred cocoa-powder-based frosting recipe, how much cocoa powder per stick of butter? I don't actually know how much I added in the end, the cameras were rolling so I just added cocoa and sugar until it tasted good!