• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your cookbook wishlist for 2004

bloviatrix

As a companion to Gifted Gourmet's thread on Food Books you give as holiday gifts, I thought it would be fun to everyone to share the books they want to get receive this holiday season. Let's be honest, it's really more fun to get rather than give. :laugh:

Blovie and I exchange gifts every night of Chanukah. On average he gives me 4 cookbooks. I provide him with a large list to choose from. This year's list includes:

McGee II (this is a MUST)

JC's Mastering the Art of French Cooking

Keller's French Laundry Cookbook

Cafe Paradiso Cookbook or Cafe Paradiso Seasons

Jack Bishop's A Year in Vegetarian Kitchen

Joan Nathan's Jewish Holiday cookbook

Gil Mark's Olive Trees and Honey (another jewish cookbook)

I can't remember what else is on the list.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

As a companion to Gifted Gourmet's thread on Food Books you give as holiday gifts, I thought it would be fun to everyone to share the books they want to get receive this holiday season.  Let's be honest, it's really more fun to get rather than give.  :laugh:

Cool thread!

Here's my cookbook wishlist:

- The Gourmet Cookbook

- Bouchon

- Bistro Cooking at Home (Gordon Hamersley)

- Lost Recipes (Marion Cunnngham)

- Putting Food By (Janet C. Greene)

- Best of the Best 2004: The Best Recipes From the 25 Best Cookbooks of the Year

and not really cookbooks, but...

- The Tummy Trilogy (Calvin Trillin)

- Best Food Writing 2004

- the new edition of The Food Lover's Guide to Seattle

- Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet

- Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food

- Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I have a number of WS cookbooks on my list. In addition, I would add

On Food & Cooking by Harold McGee

Les Halles - Anthony Bourdain

Like Water for Chocolate ?

Really, I'd take any food related book anyone wanted to give me. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In all fairness, McGee's book is not a cookbook. Even the dissertation on boiling water is abstract. :cool:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

As a small reward for cooking lunch and putting up with the relatives without swearing at them or waving my chefs knife in their direction in a very threatening manner, I always ensure that one of my Christmas presents is a big expensive cookbook. Around three in the afternoon, I settle down in a comfy chair, permanently topped up glass of wine by my side, and spend a couple of quiet hours reading while the kids break their new toys and squabble. This year, that book will be Bouchon. I can't wait.

Another Jew here-coming up with eight ideas for presents when you've been married as long as we have can be hard. So, to help my husband out, I told him I'd like these three books:

On Food & Cooking by Harold McGee

Les Halles - Anthony Bourdain

Marcella says-Marcella Hazen

I read through Bouchon the other day at a bookstore. It's a beautiful book. We're going there for Thanksgiving dinner, so I was thinking about getting it as a souvenir.

Les Halles Cookbook

Bouchon

The Gourmet Cookbook

Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft (CIA)

The Professional Pastry Chef 4th edition

The Secrets of Baking by Sherry Yard

The King Arthur Flour Baking Companion

American Pie by Peter Reinhart

The Slow Mediterannean Kitchen

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I just wish Saveur would publish a few more cookbooks along the lines of their Authentic America, French, and Italian cookbooks. Great pictures and recipes.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I want the El Bulli cookbook but doubt anyone is going to spend that kind of money on me...

I bought into the hype and I should have invested my money elsewhere. Not at all worth the cost of shipping. :hmmm:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The Best American Recipes 2004-2005 (how do they know about 2005 already?) - Fran McCullough and Molly Stevens - recipes from the Internet, cookbooks, newspapers. I have all of the other volumes, so why stop now?

Lidia's Family Table - to go with her new cooking show which starts airing in February (I think)

Les Halles by Bourdain

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

After skimming On Food and Cooking, a few glasses of wine down the road, then (hopefully) newly translated el buli, I got the 2002 one last year.

Will settle into Peter Barhams Science of cooking, Chemistry with recipes. By this point wine will most definately have got me in it's grasp.

I can then begin to assemble all the kids toys, which in itself isn't thet bad until you have to place the reams of stickers toy manufacturers insist on supplying with every "flat pack" toy.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

The Gourmet Cookbook (can't decide if I want the one available now with the controversial pale yellow typeface for the recipe titles, or the next printing which will be easier to read)

CI The Best Recipe (the new one)

The Spice is Right

Any Madhur Jaffrey book I don't have yet

Cooking Under Pressure and Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass

Subscription to Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated (and Taste of Home...don't laugh)

That's a good start! I could go on... :blink:

Edited by RSincere (log)
Rachel Sincere

The Gourmet Cookbook (can't decide if I want the one available now with the controversial pale yellow typeface for the recipe titles, or the next printing which will be easier to read)

I'm waiting until they fix it, but I REALLY want this cookbook. (I have the original ones-it was one of the first presents my husband ever gave me. They're so old, they're embossed w/ my maiden name!)

OK, copied and pasted from my already typed up list. Some old some new, some classics, some oddities:

On Food and Cooking (New Edition) - Harold McGee

Thai Food - David Thompson

Eat Not This Flesh: Food Avoidances from Prehistory to the Present - Frederick J. Simoons

Plants of Life, Plants of Death - Frederick J. Simoons

Japanese Cooking - by Shizuo Tsuji

The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters - James D. McCawley

The Oxford Companion to Food - Alan Davidson

Larousse Gastronomique - Prosper Montagne (Editor)

Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook - Anthony Bourdain

The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating - Fergus Henderson

As a recovering Vegan (almost 9 years) I am eager to explore the realms of animal foods that I have been so missing out on, and I am sure my meat-loving family and girlfriend will be happy to oblige buy picking up a few of these books.

I really want Alice Medrich's Bittersweet.

Also, anything by Alton Brown (he's a bit too fluffy for me to spend my own money on him, therefore perfect gift material -- also, for some inexplicable reason, my library doesn't have any on the shelf).

Alford and Duguid -- either Hot Sour Salty Sweet or Home Baking, I don't care. These are too expensive -- but SO gorgeous, plus the recipes I've tried (my library does have these) have been quite successful. And no one seems to want to sell any used copies.

I wouldn't say no to The King Arthur Flour Baking Companion, either, but since the only place I've seen it so far in Canada is one obscure kitchen specialty store, the likes of which, out of my acquaintance, no one but me is likely to patronise, I'll have to buy this myself if I long for it.

Unfortunately, our laptop is dead, so A. is unlikely to see this little list o' mine. :wink:

This year I'm trying very hard not to be compulsive about cookbook buying, due to some, shall we say, household constraints. It's pretty darn difficult, as I usually acquire cookbooks like cat hair on a black velvet sofa. Here's the list I sent out to my loved ones:

The Gourmet Cookbook

The Breath of a Wok

Bouchon

On Food and Cooking, revised 2004

The Arrows Cookbook

Bruce Aidell's Complete Book of Pork

Feast

All About Braising

Karen

It really doesn't take more than three bricks and a fire to cook a meal, a sobering reminder that it's the individual who makes the food, not the equipment. --Niloufer Ichaporia King

FamilyStyle Food

On Food & Cooking (new ed.)

The Last Course - Claudia Fleming

Bittersweet - Alice Medrich

The Cake Bible - Rose Levy Beranbaum

I'm Just Here for More Food - Alton Brown (just cuz)

The Art of Cake - Paul Bugat (even if it's out of print, it can still be on my wishlist, right?)

King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

Bread Baker's Apprentice - Peter Reinhart

Les Halles - Bourdain

Gee, can you tell I bake a lot?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Is American Pie about "pie" or pizza, because I am looking for a good pizza cookbook with lots of color pictures?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Is American Pie about "pie" or pizza, because I am looking for a good pizza cookbook with lots of color pictures?

It's all about the pizza pie...but there aren't any color photos, alas. It's a bit studious, as well, but I like that about Peter Reinhart. He has a lot of passion for the subject. Great book...

Karen

It really doesn't take more than three bricks and a fire to cook a meal, a sobering reminder that it's the individual who makes the food, not the equipment. --Niloufer Ichaporia King

FamilyStyle Food