• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Buy Cookware in SF/Bay Area?

Hi SF & Bay Area EGers:

I have just moved upto SF from LA and need to replace some pots and pans.

I am hoping that there are places that sell some of the brands mentioned in slkinsey's EG institute lecture on cookware, Sitram in particular.

The usual suspects like Williams Sonoma and Sur la Table are okay, but I am hoping to fine more interesting items/brands and hopefully better deals.

Of curse, this stuff is all needed by Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping to do brick and mortar over internet.

Thanks!

If you have a car, you might want to check out Chef's Warehouse in South SF. Their website. I've never been there, but from talking to people who have, I get the feeling their selection is bigger than what is represented on the website.

Here's a blurb about them from South City's Chamber of Commerce.

There's also East Bay Restaurant Supply in Oakland. Their online store is here. Even though they're geared toward restaurants, they also sell to the general public.

There also used to be a restaurant supply place on Division (13th Street) in the City across from Rainbow Grocery that sold to the public, but I haven't been there in years and have a feeling it might be gone now. (I can't remember the name of it.)

Good luck!

Squeat

If you go to East Bay Restaurant Supply, know what you want before you go. I took a mostly-non-cooking friend there to help get him set up with a few basics. As we were looking at knives, one of the EBRS employees asked if he could help us.

"Yes, thanks," I said, "I'm helping my friend get his kitchen set up, and we need to get some knives. I'm thinking that a chef's knife, a paring knife, and a bread knife will get us started. What would you recommend?" The only knives he seemed interested in showing us were the ones in the $450 6-knife set that included a knife block. :hmmm:

I understand upselling, and I don't really mind it if it's within reason. In this case, though, it was so far out of range of what I'd asked for that it seemed clear he wasn't actually listening to what we were saying. "Thanks anyway," we said, then waited for him to walk away before we turned back to the knives and decided which 3 to get.

On the other hand, the stuffed polar bear near the cash registers is worth seeing. Wow, that's a big animal...

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

You could combine Lunch, wine-tasting and shopping by going to Sign Of the Bear in Sonoma or Shackfords in Napa. Support local Business. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Thanks, all!

I succumbed to an All-Clad on sale at Williams-Sonoma(6 qt saute pan), but this weekend I am hoping to adventure farther afield!

If you have a car, you might want to check out Chef's Warehouse in South SF. Their website. I've never been there, but from talking to people who have, I get the feeling their selection is bigger than what is represented on the website.

Here's a blurb about them from South City's Chamber of Commerce.

I will check this out for sure. I watched the video in the link and it looks like thay have great deals.

If you go to East Bay Restaurant Supply, know what you want before you go.

Thanks for the warning, Lexica. Self-serve all the way!

You could combine Lunch, wine-tasting and shopping by going to Sign Of the Bear in Sonoma or Shackfords in Napa. Support local Business. :biggrin:

This sounds lovely...but I'm not familiar with either place. What are they like? High-end? Good selections? Any details would be appreciated.

They both have a great selection of cooking stuff. Shackfords has a better selection of pots and knives. More of a down home feel than Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma. Worth the trip just cause of were they are. Small tiny cramped little shops with a unique and sometimes eclectic mix of stuff. Shackfords also has a selection of appliance parts. That's were I got my replacement food processor bowl.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I was recently told by one of our customers that Economy is only open to the public for a few hours on Saturdays now (not sure if it's true, or if that's always been the case). So you might want to call before you go.

I was recently told by one of our customers that Economy is only open to the public for a few hours on Saturdays now (not sure if it's true, or if that's always been the case). So you might want to call before you go.

The sign on the building is misleading. It says they are open for the general public on Saturday's but it neglects to mention that they are also open for the public Monday through Friday during regular business hours!

• 2 months later...

I'm heading to SF in April and I always love to find those hidden jems only locals know about. :biggrin:

"You like Thai?"

"Yea, you like shirt?" -Trent Steele & Max Power (From The Simpsons Episode No. 216)

It has been a good seven years since I lived in San Francisco. That said there was an amazing used cookware, supply shop on Divisidero, just past Haight on the ocean (west) side of the street. Just a few doors down from the church of Saint John Coltrane. The prices were not bargins, but they were not "new retail" either. I loved that shop and hope for your sake that it is still there...sorry but I do not recall the name

It has been a good seven years since I lived in San Francisco.  That said there was an amazing used cookware, supply shop on Divisidero, just past Haight on the ocean (west) side of the street.  Just a few doors down from the church of Saint John Coltrane.  The prices were not bargins, but they were not "new retail" either.  I loved that shop and hope for your sake that it is still there...sorry but I do not recall the name

Thanks, it looks like this might be the place:

Cookin'

339 Divisadero St.

San Francisco, CA 94117

cross street: Oak

district: Haight (Lower)

phone: 415.861.1854

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"