• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey Wine

Rosie x

Are you still laughing? Well, the NY Times has an article today about NJ wines and although they don't get any respect there are now 17 wineries in NJ. To quote..."some of which produce award winning vintages that can proudly stand up to Sonoma Valley's finest. Have you tasted NJ wines? I did once years ago and thought they were awful. BTW--I was not sure if I should put this post on NJ, Media or Wines.

-----

Rosie

eGullet.com Community Coordinator, New Jersey

i was hoping someone would start this thread.  i've been getting into NY state wines recently, and have found some great values and interesting wines.   overall, i'd put them up against CA wines in the same price range.  

however, my experience with NJ wines has been minimal, and unpleasant as i recall.  any good values out there from NJ?  i'd love to give some a shot, but the stores i buy wine from don't carry any.

one wine writer was quoted in the article as saying "these days, if you go into a wine shop and blindly grab a California wine, your chances of getting something mildly unpleasant are greater than if you pick a wine from NJ."  interesting, i thought.

We have a few wines in our collection from NJ.  A friend dragged us to a wine festival at the Alba Vinyards last summer.  We picked up a few frivilous fruit flavored wines, some rose for my brother and dad who are addicted to white zin, and even a port, but the one I'd recommend is Alba's Reisling, which was surprisingly good.  It's the only one we are actually out of and I'd like to buy again.  Unfortunately it is impossible to find in a wine store, they don't mail order, and I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to get to the vineyard.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

http://njsun.com/wine.htm

This has a list of wineries and links to their homepages.

BTW the Alba wines, although not easily findable in NJ, can be ordered directly from them but they only ship in NJ. Their 1999 Reisling is exceptional enough that I would order a case.

Wine and Spirit World in Fort Lee carries Alba if you want to make the trip up to Bergen County and pick up a few bottles out of curiosity.

Alba has also won awards for its red raspberry dessert wine, but I find it personally to be more of a novelty than a serious wine. Their moscato and port are better I think.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from Jason Perlow on 10:16 am on Aug. 7, 2001

Wine and Spirit World in Fort Lee carries Alba if you want to make the trip up to Bergen County and pick up a few bottles out of curiosity.

are you referring to Carlo Russo's?  if so, i shop there frequently and will remember to ask for some Jersey wine.  

thanks!

Quote: from Tommy x on 6:35 am on Aug. 5, 2001

remember the good ole days rosie, when that was *my* job!  :)

Tommy--you can have that job again. No problem. Two linkers are better than one.:biggrin:

I also remember you reporting in where you had dinner or what you cooked. Soooooooooooooooo...........let's hear from you. And I also remember a Mrs. Tommy!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Yep, Carlo Russo's.

are you referring to Carlo Russo's?  if so, i shop there frequently and will remember to ask for some Jersey wine.  

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host