• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good places to get a turkey...

Scotty O

Since this is my first thanksgiving in the city, and it seems like there is a particular way to do just about everything in the city I thought I'd ask how everyone here gets their Thanksgiving turkeys.

I've heard that to avoid waiting in a line that stretches around the block one should get it delivered. Citarella and Fresh Direct have been suggested. Anyone have experience with either? How does Whole Foods handle orders around Thanksgiving?

Edited by Scotty O (log)

i just did an early thanksgiving and ordered my bird from quattro farms in pleasant valley, NY....it was excellent (although this can probably be partially attributed to the fact that i brined it). they're at the farmer's market in union square on saturdays for sure and perhaps one other day. the number to order is (914) 635-8202...then you just have to pick it up!

I have always used Empire turkeys and found them to be delicious and they are available in most supermarkets.

Kosher Marketplace (bway & 90) is selling fresh Empire turkeys for $2.89/lb -- many supermarkets only carry the frozen ones.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I am not sure how much you want to schlep, but I always get my turkey from Dipalos turkey farm which has a stand on Saturdays at the farmers market at Grand Army Plaza. Usually you need to pre-order your turkey the in the weeks before t-day, but I know for a fact they always have a few extra turkeys on hand for people who forgot to reserve. The price is slightly higher than a supermarket bird, but you are getting a very high-quality freshly killed bird in return -- not to mention supporting the local farmers.

If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

john

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I am not sure how much you want to schlep, but I always get my turkey from Dipalos turkey farm which has a stand on Saturdays at the farmers market at Grand Army Plaza.  Usually you need to pre-order your turkey the in the weeks before t-day, but I know for a fact they always have a few extra turkeys on hand for people who forgot to reserve.  The price is slightly higher than a supermarket bird, but you are getting a very high-quality freshly killed bird in return -- not to mention supporting the local farmers.

If you want more information, feel free to PM me.

john

Dipalo can also be found at the W. 97th St greenmarket on Friday mornings.

(the week of thanksgiving, the market has been re-scheduled to Wed)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs