• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you top your frites?

The_Dagda

Am I the only one who's eaten them dipped into a chocolate shake? Wendy's are the best to dip one's frites into.

Aside from that, Del Monte ketchup is better than Heinz (not for political reasons)

Malt vinegar is pretty good.

Honey mustard is amazing

Mayonnaise? Never tried it on frites.

Chinese hot mustard is good if there is pepper on the frites.

Sriracha is amazing.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

sriracha mayo

yellow mustard

chipotle mayo

barbecue sauce with mcdonalds fries

russian dressing with chopped jalepenos

horseradish mayo

all on the side. pre-dampened fries are a travesty.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Call me perverse, but I believe that really good fries need no condimental toppings or dippings.

Other fries can do with a spot of ketchup or malt vinegar.

Here's an exception: at a county fair in Maine earlier this fall, I got a plate of really good cooked-to-order fries to accompany a plate of REALLY REALLY good fried shrimp. I had a nice glob of the shrimp vendor's horseradishy cocktail sauce on side of the shrimp plate for dipping. It worked pretty well with the fries too.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I like fries with salt only, most of the time, but it depends on what else I am eating. I like ketchup OK, but when having fries with BBQ I dip them in the BBQ sauce or mix the sauce and ketchup together. I like mayo too, for a change of pace. I really like to dip fries in white, cream gravy, the kind you get with chicken fried steak! That's my favorite. With fish and chips I like malt vinegar. The absolute best fries I remember having are the ones you used to get at a fire station carnival, in the paper cone, and drenched in malt vinegar! MMM, good!

When in Philly, I always have to get a fix of the crab fries at Chickies and Petes, hot fries with Old Bay seasoning, and a white cheese-like dipping sauce, of course the moules with white or red sauce also help to make it an enjoyable dining experience.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

What's with the ketchup haters? I like the stuff. The only brand I've found that I didn't like was Hunt's. Just wrong for some reason. Heinz out of the little foil packs. Perfections. I double dip my fries. First in mayo, then a touch of ketchup.

One of my favorite fry tricks is to use the crinkle cut frozen ones (yeah, whatever), seasoned with butter flavor popcorn salt after frying.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Fries dipped in a milkshake...oh yeah. Too hot to eat otherwise.

Good ketchup...oh yeah.

Red sauce-shrimp cocktail sauce with a lot of horseradish...yeah.

Malt vinegar and fine salt on smoking hot fries...you bet!

A-1 with a good steak and a good steakfry...happy tum! Mostly,good fries!!!

There is nothin on this earth that will redeem a sorry fry. :wink:

Why, as I view this thread, are all 4 of the Gooooooooogle links on the banner for peanut butter????? :blink:

That thing is sick! Just sick! :shock:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

If the fries are good, I enjoy the Buffalo combo of blue cheese and hot sauce.

Wow.

Why use frites then? Is this a common thing?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Stone - I had totally forgotten about that combo. Every wing-joint in town down here offers up fries like that too. It is an awesome combo, heat and tang from the cayenne and vinegar in the hot sauce, fatty mouth-feel and cheesy creaminess from the blue-cheese, crisp fries soaking it all up, heaven.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Heard that A1!!!! That was the choice in the Truck Stops growing up in Maine!! Late nights, hanging out in high school at Trucker International in Fairfield, paying $4 for hours of "entertainment", a cup of coffee, and a big cup of bottomless Joe!!

Used to work at a restaurant in Providence that served fries w/ Parmigianno, Truffle Oil, Grated to Order Lemon, Garlic, and chiffonnade Parsley!! We used to get $14 for them, and they were worth every penny!!!!!!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Yeah...what's with the ketchup haters? You can't beat piping hot fries dipped into cold Heinz ketchup!!

Also good:

malt vinegar

brown gravy

beef drippings from the steak which accompanies the fries

better yet, fries on a burger!!

A-1

Frank's hot sauce

And finally...the most embarassing admission. When I take my kids to Chuck E. Cheese (horrendous!!) they serve their fries with ranch dressing. The fries are NOT very good, but with the dressing they're not bad!!!

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

My fav! Homemade Tabasco sauce sprinkled on fries then individually dipped in a creamy bleu cheese dressing. :wub:

Must be dipped.

And yes, Heinz ketchup is the one for me if ketchup is satisfying my mood. Fries were only a vehicle for ketchup when I was a girl. Took growing up to appreciate them without the ketchup.

Sriracha.

And chili garlic sauce, the ketchup of SE asia.

Frites dipped in hot lemon/horseradish red sauce (best with Cajun catfish).

Malt vinegar with fish and chips.

Variety of herbed/flavored mayos, but must be hot or biting, curry is a fav. Mayos are especially good if indulging in OMG! fresh hot chip frite sandwiches, a sin learned from the ex, all time mayo boy of Chicago. :laugh: Dip chips then layer on bread and commit both fat and carb cardinal sins!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Wow.

Why use frites then? Is this a common thing?

My favorite wing place in Manhattan, The Back Page,* makes great fries as well. Their medium cut (not shoestring, not cottage, not steak), fried just crisp on the outside, but soft on the inside. Perfect. I've taken to ordering hot wings (extra crispy) and a basket of fries. One day, I just started dipping the fries. Go figure. I actually think I like the fries better than the wings now.

One of the top five sandwich shops in the country, Hungry Herbs in Malden, MA, makes fries all sorts of ways, including smothered in hot sauce and blue cheese. The problem with the smothering is that the fries get soggy too fast.

*Other than the wings and the football games, there is no reason to go into this Upper East Side sports bar. I believe it used to be The Polo Grounds.

cheese curds and hot gravy...

POUTINE all the way baby.

Lacking that, it's Mayonaise for me.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Fries are one of the few things I put salt on. I put pepper on everything so that doesn't count :biggrin:

And yes Brooks, gravy. But in a side dish so I can dip. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.