• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you top your frites?

The_Dagda

I like them with soy sauce

I like them with mayonnaise

I like them with ketchup

I like them with chili 'n' cheese

I like them with ranch dressing

.... I just like fries.

There's a fast food restaurant near where I work that slathers them with garlic butter -- messy but delicious!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I think the question is not specific enough: if I am eating shoestring style potatoes then nothing but a thick unctious(sp?) sauce will do! perhaps my namesakes sauce :wink:

However if I am having thick fries they need to be fried properly, soft and yeilding interiors to a deep and crispy brown exterior...so rare to get them this way. As soon as they emerge from the fryer they needto be salted aggressively and vigorously. I hate the "marlon bland-o" fry.

Of course after a night of carousing in vieux montreal NOTHING beats a plate of poutine -hot fries covered in squeaky cheese curds and dripping with a light gravy. And frankly in the same way that the french smoke like it's good for you...they salt food without a backward glance!

Vive les frites de Montreal

and oh yes a little hot sauce too!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I eat my fries with not just any ketchup...it has to be Heinz ketchup. I get the oversized twin "Jugs o' Heinz" from Costco so I won't run out. :raz:

While working in my college cafeteria, only Thousand Island dressing would make their french fries palatable. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Although it has been relegated to the unhealthy column, I love fries & gravy. While working at Whistler, I became hopelessly adicted to fries and peppercorn gravy from Araxi's.

Poutine? That's what fries aspire to be when they grow up!

A.

Ooh, how could I have forgotten about poutine. Poutine has to be the most wonderful thing to have ever come out of Canada. Man, I wishI could dig into a big plate of Poutine right now...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

There's a stand in Hamburg where we get 'em topped with mayo, currywurt sauce (sort of a curry/ketchup hybrid) and carmelized onions. Sorta gross, sorta amazing. I can stand it about once a year, which is about as often as I get there.

I don't really like fries anymore. Its depressing. I have these great memories of fries. In Germany, I'd have them with mayo but thats mighty rich, cant take too much of that. I stopped ordering fries since the burger/whatever that came with it was more than enough food. The times I have had fries of late they have just been dissapointing. I just gotta have them piping hot and crisp. But I'd rather spend the calories elsewhere usually.

I really must try them with malt vinegar though. Salt and vinegar is my thing!

Then again maybe I shouldn't.....

Malt?  As in the stuff balls are made from?

I think he means Malt Vinegar, as is traditional with Fish 'n Chips.

The other idea is just too digusting for words... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I eat my fries with ketchup, often homemade but any kind will do in a pinch.

My homemade mushroom ketchup.

I also love fries with chile sauce, the kind that comes in the squat, round jar, if I don't have any homemade.

Also, the sweet Thai chile sauce, Mae Ploy brand preferred.

mustard mixed with the above, 1 part mustard to 3 prts sweet chile sauce.

Sweet soy sauce.

sour cream, toasted onion dip - mundane, I know, but I love it!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Top your fries?

As in ladled over top?

Ack.

Each frite must be annointed individually, face to face.

With of course fresh mayo (wasabi, curry, chipotle, roasted red pepper puree, ground and toasted mustard seeds or whatever variants thereof).

Ketchup would be The Devil's choice only if he were going to serve it to someone else. Otherwise, you're damning yourself to bad frites by yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive.

:wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Malt?  As in the stuff balls are made from?

I think he means Malt Vinegar, as is traditional with Fish 'n Chips.

The other idea is just too digusting for words... :blink:

ooh, duh, yeah, that makes more sense ;)

Ball malt might be a little odd on fries... (still though, younever know...)

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Ball malt might be a little odd on fries... (still though, younever know...)

Am I a bad person for thinking that, given suitable amounts of mood-altering substances, this would be really good?

That's a good question. I nominate you to test this theory ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Only Americans would give Ketchup a bad name; it's the best thing with fries. About that awful brown gravy and cheese curds they call poutine??? Yaaaccckkk.

Malt Vinegar; Fines Herbes; Dijon; Tarragon Mustard; any type of hot sauce, especially Cholula; DeJardine's Jalapeno Mayo but mainly, lots of Kosher Salt and black pepper.

I totally forgot about the only way I like smothered fries - if they're covered, just covered, with spicy chili and cheese!!! (pepper jack, melted, with velveeta - don't gag, it's good).

K :biggrin:

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

First of all, once again, Jinmyo cuts to the heart of the matter-they should be "individually annointed".

After that, well, you should annoint them with:

Ketchup

Ketchup with curry (try it, really, it's delicious-think curried tomatoes)

Really strong blue cheese dressing

Brown Gravy (hey, so I did learn something in Canada this summer! :wink: )

Zatarains's Mustard

Crystal Hot Sauce (or even better, Crystal Wing Sauce-hard to find even here, but a delicious condiment)

And always lots of black pepper and good salt.

The anti ketchup crowd makes me nervous. Truly. Ketchup is one of our most relazing and user friendly vegetables. :raz::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Good mustard (none of that poison-yellow stuff!) on the side is my usual condiment of choice.  HP Sauce is nice once in a while, too.

However, the best thing I've ever had on frites is the truffled aioli  :wub:  they serve with the frites at Restaurant Villegas.

Catsup is the Condiment of Evil.  I don't even let it in the house.

(Why else would it be the color of Satan?  Oh, they try to camouflage it by making it in green and purple, but I know the truth!)

I reckin I'm married to Karl Childers, who likes "mustard on them French-fried pertaters."

I call 'em French fries, and I think ketchup or catsup is just fine.

And Satan's white: I guarantee it. :laugh:

I suppose frenc fries are good by themselves, but though I enjoy their potatoey goodness, I (and I assume a good portion of America) regard them somewhat as a substrate upon which to apply a dressing. Ketchup is number 1 on my list, bringing that combo of salt and sugar we have been trained since birth to desire. I have had them in their 'frites' connotation annointed with various aeolies (sp) and still found them good.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.