• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Careers in food sciences...

Gul_Dekar

I'm an undergrad student doing life sciences (some Microbiology, Physiology and basic Biochemistry) and will be graduating at the end of the academic year. I've been considering pursuing a career that can combine my interests in both food and science together (considering grad school as well). So I was just wondering what kinds of careers are open to someone who wants to apply scientific knowledge to the food industry?

Thank you.

Given your dual interest in science and good food, I would suggest that you look at the Research Chefs Association, whose aim is to promote the marriage of culinary arts and food science in the food industry. Several colleges and universities are now offering programs in “culinology” with the involvement of the RCA. I would also say that the more biochemistry and food chemistry you get under your belt early, the more solid your training will be for whatever path you end up taking.

And a pitch on behalf of food lovers: it would be wonderful to have scientists who value food quality and diversity as decision-makers in the governmental agencies that increasingly regulate what we can and can’t eat! How about getting a degree in food microbiology and then infiltrating Agriculture Canada or the World Health Organization?