• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And the nominee is? Food books as holiday gifts

Gifted Gourmet

After finding and posting about a fantastic book on food, Hotel Bemelman's, I have been considering the options available for giving as holiday gifts for the coming season ...Hotel Bemelman's thread here

A full page NYT advertisement for a new cookbook caught my eye:The Pat Conroy Cookbook: Recipes of my Life.

Although Conroy has long written about the American south in his books which were subsequently made into films: The Great Santini, Prince of Tides, The Lords of Discipline, etc., his food memories span the globe which he covered as a writer and food enthusiast: a shrimp dish in an elegant English restaurant, barbecue and its variations in the South, truffles in the Dordogne Valley in France, cilantro in Bangkok, catfish in Alabama, scuppernong in South Carolina, Chinese food from San Francisco, and white asparagus in New York City. The book contains 100 of his favorite recipes.

He mastered the dishes of his beloved South and re-created the dishes he had savored in places as far away from home as Paris, Rome, and Bangkok. From Breakfast Shrimp and Grits to Fried Baby Artichokes with Beef Marrow, from Pappardelle with Prosciutto and Chestnuts to Fava Beans with Pecorino to Mocha Macaroons, Conroy takes the reader with him on a mouthwatering tour of some of the world's great cuisines.

So this is my nominee as my 2004 Food Book for Holiday Gift Giving ...the book from Amazon.com

What is yours? :rolleyes: (see? I finally asked my question... :hmmm: )

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Let me preface my answer by saying that I have a lot of quirky friends, many are involved in literary pursuits of one type or another, the film and TV industry, education and in various facets of food growing, preparation and similar pursuits.

Most of my gifts are of things I make, however if I find a book that might appeal I will include it in my gift baskets or "care packages."

This year I have already purchased several copies of Ben Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany, after reading it and deciding it might be enjoyed by some of my friends who received the "Original Miscellany" last year and found it amusing.

For people who are just beginning to find an interest in food, or a particular aspect of food, I try to find a book on that specific subject, but one that includes something other than just recipes. Perhaps the history of barbecue, regional barbecue, for someone who has developed such an interest, or whom I know is getting a bang-up major piece of outdoor cooking equipment as a gift from his nearest and dearest.

I also gave several copies of American Pie to friends who are pizza addicts and/or, have installed either a brick oven or similar appliance in their kitchens.

For those who are only marginally interested in cooking, I rely on an old favorite, Peg Bracken's "I Hate To Cook" book. Whenever I come across this book in a thrift store or used book shop, I buy it because I know sooner or later I am going to find someone who will find it fun to read in additon to having some easily prepared recipes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anyone who's ever asked "why" about food or what happens in the kitchen (with the exception of "is the sous chef boinking the hostess?") should be delighted to get a copy of On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. The author is currently particpating in an eGullet Q&A this week.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Julia Reed's book Queen of the Turtle Derby is a hilarious collection of true stories about the south with a big emphasis on the importance of food. She includes a number of good recipies as well. Reed is a political writer for Vogue magazine but also regularly contributes food articles to the New York Times. She grew up in Greenville, Mississippi.

What I like most about this book is that her voice is authentic - she writes the way she speaks - matter of factly with dry wit and humor added to the mix. She really captures the south and what being a southerner is all about - especially as it relates to the importance of food.

I can't remember if it's in the book or if it was a remark she made at a luncheon but she made a brilliant observation that if you ask a southerner to describe the best meal they ever had, it will without fail be one that was homemade and had around a family dinner table. If you ask someone from the North, they will name some four star restaurant.

This is a great book but it will make you hungry.

Julia Reed's book Queen of the Turtle Derby  is a hilarious collection of true stories about the south with a big emphasis on the importance of food.  She includes a number of good recipies as well.  Reed is a political writer for Vogue magazine but also regularly contributes food articles to the New York Times.  She grew up in Greenville, Mississippi.

What I like most about this book is that her voice is authentic - she writes the way she speaks - matter of factly with dry wit and humor added to the mix.  She really captures the south and what being a southerner is all about - especially as it relates to the importance of food. 

I can't remember if it's in the book or if it was a remark she made at a luncheon but she made a brilliant observation that if you ask a southerner to describe the best meal they ever had, it will without fail be one that was homemade and had around a family dinner table.  If you ask someone from the North, they will name some four star restaurant.

This is a great book but it will make you hungry.

This sounds like a great gift for my niece, who was born and raised in Louisiana but is now living with her new husband in Tribeca. She is a recent culinary school grad and will enjoy the read. thank you for the recommendation.

I try to tailor my selections to the recipient. Therefore, if I know someone is interested in the science of food, McGee will be the gift. For the vegetarian or one in love with vegatables, I would go with Cafe Paradiso Seasons and for the bakers, I always give Payard.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Depending on who, I give and have given, either a cookbook or a general food book. Which sounds kinda vague, but: food essays, novels, histories, textbooks; they're all there.

For example: for people I know love good food and cooking, I might buy any of the terrific Alice Waters cookbooks. For people who dine out a lot, there's always Kitchen Confidential. (I'm also a tad mean, what can I say?) For people with a sense of humor, I share my love for Calvin Trillin and give out The Tummy Trilogy and now Feeding A Yen. (I also give them permission to branch out into his political humor. He's an all-around guy. :wub::laugh: )

Like Water For Chocolate is a favorite, or any of a number of culinary mysteries. Food and History by Tanahill, whose Sex and History is also fun.

Most importantly, for me, is that when I give a book, I have to know I am giving it to someone who will not just love the contents. They also have to be book-lovers, and if you contributed to this thread, you know what I mean. :wink:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

The suggestions are quite interesting because they cover a variety of types of food books! I think some of these ideas will definitely influence my selection of gifts for my culinarily obsessed friends! Much appreciated! Keep the ideas flowing .... :wink:

The more I think about this, the more Laurie Colwin's books pop up. Her essays were wonderful, and think anyone who loves musing about food and cooking would love them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

This sounds like a great gift for my niece, who was born and raised in Louisiana but is now living with her new husband in Tribeca. She is a recent culinary school grad and will enjoy the read. thank you for the recommendation.

The more I think about this, the more Laurie Colwin's books pop up.  Her essays were wonderful, and think anyone who loves musing about food and cooking would love them.

Oh yes! I agree 100%. I remember when I read Home Cooking, I kept thinking I should write to her and tell her how much I enjoyed it and how closely her philosophy dovetails with mine.

Then I picked up More Home Cooking and was dismayed to see the copyright was for her estate. I missed a chance to communicate with a writer who impressed me so much because I procrastinated.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The more I think about this, the more Laurie Colwin's books pop up.  Her essays were wonderful, and think anyone who loves musing about food and cooking would love them.

I LOVE these books-I've read them multiple times. I do wish someone would reprint them in a nicer version; they are such cheesy little paperbacks. I'd love to have a nice hardbound volume, maybe with some photos...

Marion Cunningham's Learning to Cook is a great book for beginners. Her Lost Recipes is a great present partly because of the unique way it is bound.

The Whole Beast by Fergus Henderson.

Bouchon by Thomas Keller with Michael Ruhlman.

Les Halles Cookbook by bourdain.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I LOVE these books-I've read them multiple times. I do wish someone would reprint them in a nicer version; they are such cheesy little paperbacks. I'd love to have a nice hardbound volume, maybe with some photos...

Marion Cunningham's Learning to Cook is a great book for beginners. Her Lost Recipes is a great present partly because of the unique way it is bound.

You can get the Colwin books in hard cover. They are, of course, out of print but if you go to this site, you will see copies of both are available.

I'm a total proponent of Bouchon (Keller) and Les Halles (Bourdain). Both are bistro masterpieces, although completely different in their approach. Actually, both as a present to one recipient would be brilliant because it really shows two chefs at the top of their game that each look at the bistro life a little differently than the other.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I'm a total proponent of Bouchon (Keller) and Les Halles (Bourdain).  Both are bistro masterpieces, although completely different in their approach.  Actually, both as a present to one recipient would be brilliant because it really shows two chefs at the top of their game that each look at the bistro life a little differently than the other.

This is a great idea! Tell me more-what other books would round out a bistro collection? I have Patricia Well's book...

Tell me more-what other books would round out a bistro collection? I have Patricia Well's book...

Top Ten Bistro Cookbooks

and, as you can see, there are some on this list which we have discussed in this thread ... :wink:

Caprial, Sigal, Washburn, O'Connor, and Dannenburg .. to name but a few .. or is that "feu"?? :laugh:

My stepdaughter has asked for a soup cookbook. Any suggestions?

What about James Peterson's Splendid Soups?

i'm very interested in this pat conroy book- i've read articles he's written for gourmet (and southern living, i think) i just bought the gourmet cookbook-for me, early christmas present- but i think that will be my pick for my best friend this year. we can finally get rid of all our old issues of gourmet. i hate a cluttered kitchen.

Edited by mighty quinn (log)

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

My stepdaughter has asked for a soup cookbook. Any suggestions?

I personally like the Culinary Institute of America's Book of Soups. Very nice photo's and detailed recipes.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"