• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gadgets

Let me preface this by saying that I have enjoyed your first book and The Curious Cook since they were first published.

I am a collector of kitchen gadgets and I have often wondered why no one has ever marketed self-retaining tongs for the kitchen.

I have worked for many years for an orthopedic surgeon and we have self-retaining clamps that work opposite of "normal" clamps, in that squeezing the handles opens the jaws and a strong spring holds them closed.

It seems to me that such a tool would be a natural as sometimes one needs a "third hand" for holding onto something. My solution is simply to buy a pair from a medical supply, which, things being the way they are, means they are very expensive.

They are also difficult to keep as more than a couple have gone missing after a party at my home.

Would you use such a tool if one were manufactured for use in the kitchen and do you think it might become popular with serious home cooks or with professionals?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Often I use it to grab something from a container of hot syrup, then hang it from a hook overhead to let the excess syrup drip back into the pot before transferring it to a draining rack, particularly when candying something large and intricate.

Or I use it to hold something in place while I use both hands to tie it, such as little rouladen, which are tricky to work with, or clamp it on the end of the string when I am tying a roast, to keep tension on it.

The jaws have a cross-cut pattern as they are desgined for holding onto slippery things.

Perhaps I find them handy because I have arthritis in my hands, particularly the right, at the bae of the thumb and find it difficult to grasp tongs for any prolonged period. In fact, my grip weakens and I often drop things when using regular tongs.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett