• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Years 2005 in Israel

Ore

Ciao,

or

Ahalan!

I am now in Italy and am taking a two week break to visit family and hang out in Israel. I haven't been since the summer of 2000 and can't wait to get back.

Before, I wasn't very in to the food scene there and only recently I have been reading about it. I have a handful of friends that went to the CIA with me who are now in Israel so I do have a direct source but other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Not only for food, what should I do, where should I go? I have family in Ramat-Gan (tel-aviv) and Malcha (yerushalaim) - how is the weather (beachable during this time?) When is Channukah this year!?!

Well, looking forward to the response!

Thanks,

Ore

Actually, you are in luck with these questions! In this very Forum here on eGullet is a thread by Daniel Rogov, food critic of Ha'aretz and a most esteemed authority on dining in Israel .. updated and well described:

Best Israeli restaurants thread here :biggrin:

As for your other question, Hanukkah this year, 2004, begins at sundown on December 7 (24 Kislev, 5765).

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Actually, you are in luck with these questions! In this very Forum here on eGullet is a thread by Daniel Rogov, food critic of Ha'aretz and a most esteemed authority on dining in Israel .. updated and well described:

Best Israeli restaurants thread here :biggrin:

As for your other question, Hanukkah this year, 2004, begins at sundown on December 7 (24 Kislev, 5765).

Hi Ore,

At the moment it is sunny, though a little cooler at nights. We only got, altogether, couple of hours of rain in the Tel Aviv area. That might change soon, But even in rainy times the warm sun is only a cloud away...

Rogov's list is indeed a great source for "proper" restaurants. if you wish to do serious Massabacha, Falafel, Shawarma and such or even visit farmers, cheese makers, or one of the 170 wineries PM me and I'll try and help.

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

• 4 weeks later...

Ciao,

So - flights are confirmed - a bought my tix from Rome to Athens - Athens to Tel-Aviv (round trip) for 380 Euro on Olympic Airlines - cheapest I could find from Expedia.it. All other tickets started around 480 Euro - Depart 20/12 at 19:15 - arrive athens at 22:15.

So - FIRST QUESTION...Anywhere good to eat here in Athens?? My flight to Israel is at 01:15 so that means I have a quick 3 hours to find something good. All airport food might be closed at this late hour. But, the city is 33 KM away - I might be trapped in the airport!! Anyone been to Athen Int'l ??

Second questions...Any new or updated places I must eat at while in Israel? Can/Should I rent a car? I am 22 and dont recall the age rules for Israel - will be in Israel until Jan. 12

Ok, thats it!

Ciao,

Ore

just checked tram times from athen airport to downtown - all are unavailable to me - looks like i am staying in the airport

Ore

Hi Ore,

1/ Make a big sandwich from yout bread at home and eat it in Athens. it would be the best meal on the way. (trust me i saw the pics...)

2/ I'll check tommorow regarding renting a car.

C U soon

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/