• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking bread with stone ground flour

francois

I greatly enjoy baking sourdough bread. There in a small mill close to where I spend my summer holidays. They make stone ground flour. I would like to make my bread from their flour but it is always heavy- event if they sell it as white flour. To have a nice bread, I have to use a large proportion of store bought white flour.

Why is that? Can I do anything to make the bread lighter. I tried malt powder- it made only a small difference.

Francois

Do you buy their flour freshly milled? The elasticity of the gluten proteins benefits from oxidation, which takes place naturally over the course of a few weeks after milling. Try letting the flour sit for a while before using it. You can also add "improving agents" that accelerate the oxidation. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and fava bean flour are two examples. Comprehensive baking books should give you an idea of proportions.