• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arugula, I Love You.

wordwiseguy

My love affair with the peppery leafed arugula has been going on for some time now, but recently it has heated up with addition of organic arugula at both my nearest super market and at the all new Fresh Market in town. Oh joy!

I love this stuff. It taste amazing. It's good for you. What's not to love? :biggrin:

I tend to eat it with either a basic balsamic dressing or with a little lemon juice and a dash of EVO, shaved parmesan and a sprinkling of kosher salt.

I've used it as a bed for seafood dishes as well.

But what else can I do with it?

I'm looking for any reasonable excuse to eat it more often.

Thoughts?

My love affair with the peppery leafed arugula has been going on for some time now, but recently it has heated up with addition of organic arugula at both my nearest super market and at the all new Fresh Market in town. Oh joy!

I love this stuff. It taste amazing. It's good for you. What's not to love?  :biggrin:

I tend to eat it with either a basic balsamic dressing or with a little lemon juice and a dash of EVO, shaved parmesan and a sprinkling of kosher salt.

I've used it as a bed for seafood dishes as well.

But what else can I do with it?

I'm looking for any reasonable excuse to eat it more often.

Thoughts?

Blanch some and place in a blender with some good evoo,proceed to make a nice Arugula Risotto-Delicious!!!!

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

What a coincidence, I just picked up a bunch of arugala at the greenmarket today. :biggrin:

I frequently serve a salad of warm sauteed mushrooms (sautee asst. mushrooms until they give off their liquid, add some chopped garlic, and some balsamic vinegar) over a bed of arugala. The warm mushrooms wilt the arugala.

I've been reading Leslie Revsin's Come for Dinner and one of the recipes that excites me is an Arugala Salad with Yogurt Dressing. In a small bowl place 2 tbls of lemon juice. Whisk in 2 tsp of dijon mustard and 1/4 cup of olive to make a vinaingrette. Then whisk in 1/2 c plain yogurt, 1 tbls at a time to make a thick dressing. Add s & p. and chopped fresh herbs such as basil, tarragon, or chives and dress the arugala.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Isn't Arugula just a lettuce? Does it have a flavor noticeably different from other lettuce, or is it a subtle difference?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

In a sandwich with leftover lamb, mustard, thinly sliced red onion, v. sharp chedder.

Nullo, arugula is quite peppery, think watercress.

Oh, things you would do with watercress would probably work great -- japanese salad with sesame, in sandwiches with cream or goat cheese...

Isn't Arugula just a lettuce?  Does it have a flavor noticeably different from other lettuce, or is it a subtle difference?

Arugula is like a very tender watercress - peppery, rockety zoom.

I LOVE a scant spoonful of arugula pesto made with walnut oil tossed with pasta, or arugula in a light caeser-ish dressing of anchovy, olive oil, lemon and parmesan.

I like arugula as a "stuffing". Steam it, mix it with some ricotta or quark, some flavour (garlic, thyme, S & P) and you've got a fabulous ravioli stuffing. I've also used the same filling to stuff cousa squash which was then topped with grated Parmesan and baked until hot.

Hmm, I have never had watercress, and I am sure I have tasted arugula, but probably only as a blend, never knowingly ate it as such. I suppose I should go buy some and sample it, I love pepper.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Place on pizza slice. Fold slice. eat.

Adam, I like it on pizza too.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I graze on it raw while working in my container garden, and add leaves to sandwiches of all sorts. But mainly I love it as a salad with radicchio, some grated Asiago or crumbled chevre, toasted walnuts, red onion, and stuff like that. It's one of the best green salads I know.

I like it as a salad, mixed with other pungent leaves like chicory, watercress, radicchio.

Or stirred into a simple tomatosauce for pasta, just before serving, so that the leaves are only slightly wilted.

I also love it in an omelette.

Arugula has a very distinct flavor. Far superior in my opinion to the other leafy greens. I like it all by itself, but you can also add to mixed greens for additional kick. Some do include arugula actually.

Give it a try by itself. Try one of the many awesome ideas people have been posting on this thread. :smile:

Or stirred into a simple tomatosauce for pasta, just before serving, so that the leaves are only slightly wilted.

Oh, yeah.

Even better with a butter-tomato sauce, very simple and so barely cooked it's hardly a sauce - fresh, peak-season tomatoes, skinned, seeded and left in thin wedges, browned in butter with some minced onions and maybe a little garlic. Plenty of arugula cut into ribbons, piled atop each plate at the table. Pass the cheese. Heaven.

It's also a great, plain, as a bed for all manner of grilled meat and fish and poultry - wilted arugula is really tasty.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Another vote for Arugula Pesto. I like to toss the pesto with pasta & some sauteed bacon & onions.

It's also good sauteed til just wilted, like spinach, as a veg with steak & mashed potatoes.

On a roast beef sandwich in place of lettuce with horseradish.