• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Zagat Annual Survey

Rail Paul

Zagat has opened its annual restaurant survey to any diner who wishes to participate. No fee is required, and you'll receive, they say, a free copy of the NJ survey.

The website is Zagat

and you select the active survey for NJ. If you're not already registered with Zagat, you may do so, free of charge. The choices are divided among regions of the state, and by multiple town clusters within the region.

I wanted to cast a vote for An American Grill, which isn't one of pre-determined Mendham-Randolph area choices, so I had to use the write in process. You may vote for multiple restaurants if you wish. If you select write in, that opens up a new box, where you enter the name, town, etc and add the scores for food, service, witty comments, etc.

Other Zagat surveys are currently open in other markets.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Zagat has opened its annual restaurant survey to any diner who wishes to participate. No fee is required and you'll receive, they say, a free copy of the NJ survey.

Fwiw, I've done this before, and they do indeed send you a copy of the book at no charge. Great for looking up addresses/phone numbers.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks Paul but it ain't happening. They'll never put me in after I've dissed them over the last two years. How can a restaurant that has been reviewed well by the NY Times, won best New American in NJ Monthly 7 years running, received very good to excellent in The Star-Ledger & Daily Record over a ten year period not be listed as a "Choice in the Mendham-Randolph area? Every person that posts here regularly on egullet and has dined at my place could write-in and the only thing that would get me is another year of disappointment. This time of year always pisses me off. My cusstomers last year or the year before had a write in campaign for me and over 130 votes were ignored. I feel like Gore in Florida during 00'.

But Lou, don't you still think it's better for them to see your name over and over again?!? Sorta like sticking it to 'em, as far as I'm concerned! And it didn't keep me from adding you anyway, so PFFFFFT! :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Greetings all

just wanted to say I had never even heard of An American Grill until last week but everyone here seems to love it sooooo..... I reviewed it on Zagats. As soon as i find myself another cushy corporate feeding ( ya know 7-3 monday to friday) job I will head over for dinner

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Greetings all

just wanted to say I had never even heard of An American Grill until last week but everyone here seems to love it sooooo..... I reviewed it on Zagats. As soon as i find myself another cushy corporate feeding ( ya know 7-3 monday to friday) job I will head over for dinner

tracey

no offense to Tracey, as I am sure her intent was good..but this certainly illustrates why Zagat's isn't very useful beyond confirming hours of operation.

Are there no controls as to wheter a reviewer has actually been there?

just my 2 cents....I work for a one of the largest European banks in NYC and very often, people from Europe come here for business for a week or for a month or whatever, and the only source they use for restaurants is ZAGATS.....kind of sad that the book is often the sole source for information......

there is a ZAGATS on almost every desk in the bank :( :angry:

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

it would be sad if zagats consistently gave horrible recommendations of horrible restaurants. i've not found that to be the case necessarily, especially in large cities, which is where much of the readership is likely interested in dining. before egullet and chowhound, i ate pretty well with more than a little help from zagats. i happen to each much better now, but i don't think that's due to zagats being shit and every other source of info being so wonderful. there are just more sources now, and i'm a bit smarter now.

the NJ zagats, however, has always been somewhat of a joke in my opinion. it probably suffers from too few good restaurants and too few diners.

Edited by tommy (log)

I second, third, and fourth the opinion that Zagat has become nothing but a source for phone numbers. I noticed a decided decline once they opened up the web to reviews. One used to have to fill out a form by hand. The Chicago version this year is nothing but negativity all around. Obviously the concept has grown too big for its britches; and I wonder if web surfers simiply log on to trash places they've never tried just to pass the time.

(Formerly lived in Hawthorne....suffering serious White Manna withdrawl)

Zagat has opened its annual restaurant survey to any diner who wishes to participate. No fee is required, and you'll receive, they say, a free copy of the NJ survey.

The website is  Zagat

and you select the active survey for NJ. If you're not already registered with Zagat, you may do so, free of charge. The choices are divided among regions of the state, and by multiple town clusters within the region.

I wanted to cast a vote for An American Grill, which isn't one of pre-determined Mendham-Randolph area choices, so I had to use the write in process. You may vote for multiple restaurants if you wish.  If you select write in, that opens up a new box, where you enter the name, town, etc and add the scores for food, service, witty comments, etc.

Other Zagat surveys are currently open in other markets.

You could apparently write in American Grill 1000 times and it still would not make the list in the published issue. Zagat does not use a credible independent auditing firm so they can come up with any result they desire.

After the pages and pages of agreement about the non-credibility of Zagat on Egullet on many forums, I am amazed that some continue to discuss Zagat like it is a serious guide to restaurant-goers' opinions It is quite doubtful that one's vote is counted they way they say it is....

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 5 months later...

O.K. Just received a call from Zagat's telling me that I've "been voted" in for the 2006 edition coming out in two weeks and was one of the highest rated in the state. We'll see....

In addition for a $169.00 tab, I'll get a front door plaque and a crystal something or another stating our inclusion in the 2006 edition.

This should be interesting.

perhaps if we all write in and completely trash AAG they'll get in.

Hey! It must have worked! :laugh:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

:laugh::laugh:

Er...congrats?

If nothing else, we all know this will bring at least a few additional customers through your door, Lou!

:laugh::laugh:

Er...congrats?

If nothing else, we all know this will bring at least a few additional customers through your door, Lou!

Every year this shit opens a new can of worms. How can a restaurant that's been open almost 11 years not be included with rating. I've called their NJ offices and can't get a answer. I must think of as new stratagy. Can I call the press and tell them I wish to be removed? :wink:

The thought process shall begin now with a libation. :rolleyes: