• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot chocolate

glenn

Okay, I'm back seeking advice. I've delegated the hot chocolate recipe to my cook and gave him all of your advices.

I'm also looking to retail an upscale hot chocolate. The usuals that come to mind aren't available for various reasons - Jacques Torres, Maison du Chocolate, Marie Belle and a couple of others. Can you think of any others?

Pre-shaved dark couverture from Fran's Chocolates

I haven't tried the product yet but we're now stocking their entire line in our new cafe, including the referenced hot chocolate. If it's available in wholesale sizes by request it may be worth looking into. We've had their truffles, bars and other selections on the shelf for a week or so and are getting raves from customers. Admittedly, Syracuse is not the greatest reference point but we do have what appear to be some confirmed choc-o-holics lining up to buy the little bars at $2.95 so it must be good.

I tried one of the mint sugar dusted chocolate truffles. It was outstanding. Way better than the Belgian stuff I used to get on occasion at Leonides in lower Manhattan (not that Leonides is pretending to be direct competition with Jacques Torres but they are a respected upmarket brand).

Thanks, I'll give them a call. But now you have me thinking I should carry chocolate too. That would probably fit in well with the concept. If that be the case, I could probably qualify to buy Jacques Torres. Their hot chocolate is to die for. They won't sell a retailer hot chocolate unless you buy their chocolate. And I just have to say, Marie Belle's hot chocolate was incredible, but their service is the pits. Not only did it take over a month to return phone calls and send a sample, but they charged me for the sample! That's a first for me.