• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

garlic problems

rabidscottsman

I made a pizza this afternoon and when i took it out of the oven i noticed that it was blue in color.

Was this a reaction with the sauce? The garlic looked normal when i diced it. I added it to the tomato sauce and topped the pizza with parmasean cheese, mozzerella cheese, sausage and mushrooms. The pizza was baked at 450 degrees for 10 minutes

Does anybody know what the heck happened?

There is a chemical in garlic that turns blue when exposed to acid. If you want some seriously smurfy garlic, put a couple of cloves in vinegar sometime. But putting raw garlic into acidic tomato sauce would be enough to do it too. Neat, huh? As I am a science geek but not specifically a chemistry geek, someone else will have to tell you what that chemical is. FWIW, I have read that the reaction is more pronounced in young garlic.

the blue or green color is caused by an enzymatic reaction and is perfectly harmless.

The sulfur compounds in garlic (thiols or some type) can be

broken up by active enzymes in the garlic allowing the sulfur

to react with any copper in solution. This results in copper

sulfides which is what you see as the "blue" discoloration.

The enzymes can be denatured by high temperature processing.

possibly an answer?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And the chances of this actually occurring? I've been putting garlic with tomato on pizzas, and many other foods for about 35 years. Also in vinegar solutions. I've never achieved the blue food stage. :shock:

What am I doing wrong? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

And the chances of this actually occurring? I've been putting garlic with tomato on pizzas, and many other foods for about 35 years. Also in vinegar solutions. I've never achieved the blue food stage. :shock:

What am I doing wrong? :laugh:

I think the age of the garlic could be the clue. I've been putting up dill pickles for over twenty years, and every so often I get blue garlic in the finished product. I doubt if the Texas State Fair would give me style-points for it! :rolleyes:

There was a thread here somewhere recently about this same topic. I'll be darned if I can find it, though.

I have pickled and escabeched jalapenos for years. I noticed that folks really groove on the garlic cloves. I got into some particularly lovely peppers, went to the Asian market and snagged some really fresh and succulent garlic. I put up jars of about half and half peppers and garlic. The garlic turned out this most astonishing blue. That had always puzzled me until I read the recent thread. Then I realized that the house I owned at the time had copper pipes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There was a thread here somewhere recently about this same topic. I'll be darned if I can find it, though.

Here it is, fifi

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

yep... I remember that one now. Maybe there was another one? I remember that one of our brainy sorts came up with the enzyme, acid and copper ion thingy. That wasn't any of my wisdom. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...

OK, ever make the same dish over and over with no problem and one night you make it and something totally different happens and you just want to scream why WHY WHY?? :shock: that's me this morning.

So, last night I made tofu stir-fry and if there was ever something as reliable as a staple in my apartment, this is it. It is my go-to meal when I don't feel like cooking. There are buckets of marinade in my fridge for precisely these nights. I could stir-fry with my eyes closed. Here's what happened:

I always use my all-clad stainless steel wok (i know, I know, it was a wedding gift) and grapeseed oil. I start by heating the oil and once it's hot, i toss in a generous amount of minced garlic and ginger. Well, last night, I tossed it in and the garlic immediately started to stick to the bottom of the wok. I added more oil, but there was already a fair amount in there and the sticky garlic turned into this burnt glue that ended up coating the bottom of the wok. Metal spatulas couldn't scrape the stuff off.

This has never happened to me before and now I'm scared to make my go-to dish! Was the oil not hot enough? too hot? too sparse? could the garlic have been bad (there wasn't any green in it, but who knows)? I'm open to any diagnosis....

I am totally guessing here...

When I have fallen into a particularly fresh and juicy batch of garlic, I have noticed that it practically oozes when dicing and is even more "sticky" than the usual garlic. It is a real pain to dice. If you were dealing with that kind of garlic it may have had more than the usual amount of "sugars" in it, that may be the root of the problem.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I agree with fifi.

Also, I have two kinds of garlic. When I bought both at the farmer's market (I don't remember what the names of these were), she said one was for using raw and one for using in cooking. I know that the cloves of the "salad" garlic are much juicier and the flesh is almost transluscent.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK, ever make the same dish over and over with no problem and one night you make it and something totally different happens and you just want to scream why WHY WHY??  :shock:  that's me this morning.

This has never happened to me before and now I'm scared to make my go-to dish! Was the oil not hot enough? too hot? too sparse? could the garlic have been bad (there wasn't any green in it, but who knows)? I'm open to any diagnosis....

Don't Panic! Go back to your go-to dish!

Fifi's ideas sound good. Also, give the garlic a little stir as you add it, so even if it is determined to stick it doesn't get a chance.

And remember, sometimes shit just happens, for easons only the Kitchen Gods know. Take a deep breath, check your garlic, your recipe and your karma and cook it again. It will be fine.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

OK, I'm liking the idea that this was somehow the garlic's fault. Any idea how to tell the juicy garlic from the less-juicy kind? I'm not sure my garlic is labeled at the local veggie place -- it's just thrown in a bin.

I will definitely try to coat with oil first -- that seems like a good call.

I never see garlic labeled here so I am completely uneducated on the characteristics of the different varieties. Other than the obvious extreme of the old garlic where you can feel that the skin has pulled away, I really can't tell. As I recall, some exceptionally juicy garlic was a purple skinned variety, large cloves, very firm, and a bitch to peel.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

There are two kinds of garlic - the sort with a woody stem in the middle of the bulb, which is kept for long storage nad what you probably have in your supermarket bin, and the sort, uh, without, I guess, which is much younger and "juicier". I find that the older sort gives me less trouble when cooking at high heat with it.

Though few of us have much choice when it comes to garlic - at least for me, it's pretty much luck of the draw - I'd say keep cooking your stir-fry with what you have on hand, and order out when it doesn't work :biggrin:

I never see garlic labeled here so I am completely uneducated on the characteristics of the different varieties. Other than the obvious extreme of the old garlic where you can feel that the skin has pulled away, I really can't tell. As I recall, some exceptionally juicy garlic was a purple skinned variety, large cloves, very firm, and a bitch to peel.

Get your self one of those rubber tube things to peel garlic. Makes short work of it. :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Get your self one of those rubber tube things to peel garlic. Makes short work of it. :biggrin:

:laugh: I have every garlic peeler known to man. None of them worked on this stuff. It was great garlic, though. I actually went back and got more, roasted a whole half sheet full, and still have some jars of it in the freezer... best I ever made.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 year later...

I cut up cauliflower florets. Tossed with OO, lemon, garlic, S&P. Put in oven to roast at 400F. 12 min later checked it and the garlic in the dish had turned this really strange blue color. It does not look like an okay food color. It smells pretty pungent too.

What happened. It really looks frightening. Is there any saving this mess?

Don't worry about it.

Garlic contains a compound to react with acids (here, the lemon) to produce a greenish blue colour. You will see the same thing in pickled garlic too.

It won't taste different or hurt you. :smile:

ETA

Compound - anthocyanins

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Don't worry about it.

Garlic contains a compound to react with acids (here, the lemon) to produce a greenish blue colour. You will see the same thing in pickled garlic too.

It won't taste different or hurt you.  :smile:

Thanks. Got eGullet trigger happy because it really was toilet cleaner blue! I will just keep cooking and hope I can avoid a blue cauliflower puree. Since I am serving with veal, maybe the color is a good thing actually :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it.

It won't taste different or hurt you.  :smile:

Thanks. Got eGullet trigger happy because it really was toilet cleaner blue! I will just keep cooking and hope I can avoid a blue cauliflower puree. Since I am serving with veal, maybe the color is a good thing actually :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Yes- it is a pretty scary colour.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

The best way to avoid this is to roast the garlic for about 20 minutes before you mix it with the other ingredients, particularly any acid.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett