• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berkeley, Dinner Sunday Evening

VivreManger

After the Sunday brunch, I am off to Berkeley for dinner with some cousins. They suggested the following: Cafe Panisse, Rivoli, Lalime, or Oliveto.

Based on preliminary research Rivoli does not seem in the same league as the others. I have twice been to Cafe Panisse -- upstairs a la carte, not the prix fixe below and don't feel the need to go again. What I had was not so spectular that it merits a third visit.

Of the two remaining Oliveto seems the more interesting. I find the home-made salumi particularly appealing.

Any responses out there?

After the Sunday brunch, I am off to Berkeley for dinner with some cousins.  They suggested the following: Cafe Panisse, Rivoli, Lalime, or Oliveto. 

Based on preliminary research Rivoli does not seem in the same league as the others.  I have twice been to Cafe Panisse -- upstairs a la carte, not the prix fixe below and don't feel the need to go again.  What I had was not so spectular that it merits a third visit. 

Of the two remaining Oliveto seems the more interesting.  I find the home-made salumi particularly appealing. 

Any responses out there?

Chez Panisse isn't open on Sundays. Somewhere is a thread on Oliveto's, and it's not all positive. I've had a few great meals at Rivoli, but I don't eat there very often. It is a beautiful restaurant-ask for a table looking over the garden (they light it at night.) I haven't eaten at Lalime's in years, but it is also very good. You could also go to Bay Wolf on Piedmont, or Garabaldi's on College. My absolute favorite is Jojo's on Piedmont, but they are closed on Sundays.

After the Sunday brunch, I am off to Berkeley for dinner with some cousins.  They suggested the following: Cafe Panisse, Rivoli, Lalime, or Oliveto. 

Based on preliminary research Rivoli does not seem in the same league as the others.  I have twice been to Cafe Panisse -- upstairs a la carte, not the prix fixe below and don't feel the need to go again.  What I had was not so spectular that it merits a third visit. 

Of the two remaining Oliveto seems the more interesting.  I find the home-made salumi particularly appealing. 

Any responses out there?

I think Rivoli is in the same league as the other places, and if you're excluding Chez Panisse Cafe, it would be my top choice among the places you've listed.

I had a very good dinner at Oliveto Saturday night. The salumi is wonderful, as was a carne crudo dish with shaved fresh porcinis. Grilled sardine starter was top-noth. Of the entres I tried, the sqab was the best--really excellent. Also the nettle pasta was very nice. Venison and pork dishes were good but not exceptional.

I had a lackluster dinner at Lalime's about 18 months ago, I don't know if I'd go back.

Rivoli, haven't been, so I can't comment.

My absolute favorite is Jojo's on Piedmont, but they are closed on Sundays.

please tell me more. would this be a good place for a group of 8-10?

Yes, it's a little restaurant, but I've seen parties that large there. It's a warm, friendly neighborhood restaurant with great French/ American bistro-type food. Here's the website: http://www.jojorestaurant.com/story/index.htm

I had a great meal at Oliveto when I was in California this summer. I'm from New York, so I can't provide rate Oliveto in context. But here's a picture of the chef's salumi; perhaps it will tip the scale! :smile:

gallery_7453_211_1097465551.jpg

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Lalime is fantastic and I would say most definitely that Rivoli is in the same class as all that you mentioned and better in many ways. From the moment you walk in until the moment you leave every single second is enjoyable. The food, the service, the atmosphere - all wonderful.

Happy Eating!

Brioche

Welcome to toddski & Brioche57-it's nice to see that this thread encouraged new members to post. Stick around-we can always use more voices to discuss Bay Area restaurants. (and more, of course!) :biggrin:

You've both encouraged me to make that loooong drive across town to north Berkeley more often.