• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Drinking

PR Rum Time

Okay, I might be an oddball, but...

When things get cold here in WV, I tend to go more for wine and bourbon. Not that I don't do rum, it's just that when it's 30 degrees out, drinking a mojito or some Barbancourt 8 seems a little weird ;)

Bruce

I thought it would be interesting to see how much rum the members here are downing every week on average.

I’ll go ahead and estimate around 16 ounces per week for myself.

I only drink 1 shot (of any alcohol) a week. This means about 35 cc. I don't know how much ounces that is. Sometimes I drink several glasses of wine.

I am what I call a "taster". I try to enjoy the taste. I do not drink Rum because I am thirsty. Sometimes I have 3 shots in 1 evening (at a party mostly). I have reached my tax than. For several weeks I don't drink at all than. I can live without alcohol for months (for ever if I need to) but sometimes the atmosphere increases when people have had a drink (or 2).

I always say: drink with moderation and with friends. But when I drink, it's only quality. Not the cheap shit, but the aged stuff. In the end it costs me as much as the people who drink more of the cheap stuff.

For me it's quality that counts.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I will have a glass (1.5 - 2 oz) of the premium stuff just about every day after work either watching the sunset from my balcony or just relaxing and reading. On weekend parties with my friends the rum is consumed in cocktails, mostly mojitos and mai-tai's.

about 10 years ago when I was working retail in a bottle shop and used to finish at about 11pm (but start late) I used to get through about 3 bottles of Mount Gay a week.

Now I am a lot more settled I usually get through about a bottle a month but of far better quality.

I think I drink about one drink per week, generally. I may miss a week here and there and make it up by sipping two drinks on a single weekend (Friday and saturday night) as I relax watching TV with my wife.

Rum is very much the only alcoholic drink that I drink, except for a one or two glasses of wine now and then (about every other month, I think).

During the summer the quantity of rum I absorb may increase, if I have a chance to spend a week or two at our summer place. Then I often sip rum while reading a book as the night darkens outside...

Edited by Kristian (log)

In the interest of research, I enjoy a ti punch almost every day, but no more than two. Then after dinner, some nights I'll enjoy some of my collection of aged rums. A couple of times a week, I sip some rums, as part of the continuing research, during the day, usually in the afternoon. And when I'm in Chicago, I participate in organized tastings about once a month.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I am not much of a rum drinker. Well, I enjoy rum sometimes, but then I will go through a spell where I don't want it at all, then I will want it in large quantities again. In the meantime I busy myself with other liquor, usually Bourbon.

I am a disaster in a well-stocked liquor store (such as Elkton, MD's State-Line Liquors, coolest US liquor store I have ever been inside of, awesome beer and good wine selections as well). If I am buying a high-end bottle of something, high-end bottles of several other things come along as well, and then a couple bottles of main-line stuff so that I don't waste the good stuff after the first couple drinks when I Won't be able to tell the difference anymore.

Unfortunately the liquor stash is running a bit low now (evident by the fact that I was reduced to drinking Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey last weekend). I will have to invest some cash into returning the bar to its former glory.

Then again, I am trying to lose weight, so I can't drink every night anyway. Apparently drinking at eating at the same time is horrible for weight-loss, so I hold off for weekends and make sure I eat light around the time when I will be drinking.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 4 weeks later...

Summertime - 10 - 12 oz a week, usually Havana Club 7 year old with soda and lime.

Winter - very inconsistent, I will go weeks without rum but probably average 2 oz a week, usually a snifter of something old and rare (much like myself) by the fire in the evening.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 2 months later...

I enjoy a good rhum as much as a good Cognac. My eyes were first opened 20 years ago when I worked at the Crown Center Wine Center (owned by Hallmark Cards in Kansas City). Donald Hall, owner of Hallmark cards, used to order the rare Barbancourt 5 star from Haiti, for his own consumption it was not for sale to the public, only for him.

20437.jpg

... I once got a bottle by accident....and from then on I was a rhum fan. I managed to find some 3 star in Miami once but never 5 star...Currently, I live in Switzerland...I can find some very interesting rhums here and in Germany... but unfortunately, now I have to pay full price them...bummer!

My consumption is about 10 to 14 ounces a week. I drink my rhum straight like a Cognac in a snifter. Never ever, ever mixed!

Some 25 years ago, I visited Barbados and I'm a Mount Gay guy ever since. I'm buying the stuff for a decent price in Italy. I'm at 5 ounces a week max, but sometimes, I kill a 15 weeks credit in one evening. These are the days when I can't stand rationalilty.

Edit: Oops? Ounces, metrics? I think I miscalculated a bit.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

• 6 years later...

I've been a big rum fan for several years but since starting a serious collection this summer, I've probably been drinking too much! I'd probably guess anywhere from 8-20 oz per week

I don't really drink any rum a week, partially because I am still enamored with Whisky cocktails, but mostly because we do not get much good rum in Vancouver, and if we do it'll be at pricate liquor stores which are prohibitively expensive. Also its winter now so drinking rum drinks just seems out of place. I will most likely venture into rum cocktail mixing next summer when I stock up on better quality ingredients from Astor Spirits and the season is right. And when the time comes I will most certainly find a slew of recipes here I am sure.

Depending on the stress level at the bakery, between 10 and 30 oz of nice, black, aged domestic rum a week. This is mostly consumed as grog, rum slings, and Inka Libres (think Cuba Libre substituting Inka Kola for the Coke). Around Christmas, this increases dramatically because of the parties.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Depending on the stress level at the bakery, between 10 and 30 oz of nice, black, aged domestic rum a week. This is mostly consumed as grog, rum slings, and Inka Libres (think Cuba Libre substituting Inka Kola for the Coke). Around Christmas, this increases dramatically because of the parties.

Inka Cola is the bright yellow soda right? I was in Peru and Ecuador (not really Ecuador proper, just a day in Guayaquil and then to the Galapagos) this past May and saw that drink often! Especially on the plane flights. Tried it a couple times but not really my cup of tea.

Maybe a nice dark rum would help it for me. Couldn't hurt!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2