• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sodium levels in salted cooking water

Back again, Mr McGee, with a basic concern.

Sodium levels can be a valid concern for some people, as it is for myself, beyond the obvious consideration of taste. When cooking potatoes and pasta for instance, in salted cooking water to be drained, is there a formula for determining the absorption of salt in food?

As in X amount of salt added to X amount of water with X weight of food?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I don’t think there’s any way to generalize about salt uptake into foods—it depends a lot on the food, exposure time, and other factors. Potatoes will absorb relatively little salt, and mainly at the surface, because it’s already mostly water; pasta will take up more because it’ll nearly double its weight with absorbed water that penetrates all the way to the center.