• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Screwtops

Rosie x

Which corkscrew to use won't be a problem if they start using more screwtops.  What do you think? Would you prefer screwtops?

Also, we always keep a corkscrew in our winebag in case the waiter doesn't get to our table soon enough to open our bottle of wine.

-----

Rosie

eGullet.com Community Coordinator, New Jersey

By wine bag,  do you mean when you bring your own bottle to a restaurant?  I assume so, as I've never seen a waiter bring a wine and leave on the table with the cork in it.  In NYC, it's very rare that one has the chance to bring one's own wine.  

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yes I realized Rosie is from the Garden State and that NYC is one of the least condusive places to BYOB. I was not aware of how common it is in NJ.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Quote: from Preet Baba on 6:10 pm on Aug. 5, 2001

Bux, Rosie is in New Jersey where BYO restaurants are the norm. Rosie, why is that? Does it have something to do with the difficulty of getting a liquor license?

Many restaurants (I would estimate 75 %) are BYO because of archaic liquor laws and a liquor license is about 跌,000. Add the cost of insurance to that and BYO looks very good to a restaurateur. I must add that some of the BYO's in NJ have higher menu/food prices than those with a liquor license.But generally if you go to a BYO your total cost will be less that a full bar restaurant. We like it because we can bring a ฮ bottle of wine that would run ๠-๪ in a restaurant. I have been told that in Napa Valley some people BYO and pay the corkage fee. In NJ it is ILLEGAL to charge a corkage fee in a BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Indeed, on the rare occasion that I reverse-commute in order to engage in New Jersey fine dining, I do it primarily on account of the BYO situation. I know serveral very serious wine collectors who do this as well.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)