• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

convenient eats

torakris

Wow! I rarely return things but I would definitely complained to the store about that one. Or even better, send my husband to complain-- we get get really good service after he complains. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...
BTW Im sorry I have yet to deliver on those promised pics of the inside of an American 7-11 and a Wawa. I'll make sure to do that this week...

Okay I took the pics of a Wawa (which I am told is the closest to a Japanese Combini that we have)

Im going out later to take pics of a 7-11...

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x273/GlorifiedRice/

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

BTW Im sorry I have yet to deliver on those promised pics of the inside of an American 7-11 and a Wawa. I'll make sure to do that this week...

Okay I took the pics of a Wawa (which I am told is the closest to a Japanese Combini that we have)

Im going out later to take pics of a 7-11...

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x273/GlorifiedRice/

Thanks, GlorifiedRice. I must say I am amazed at the scale of the shop. It's as big as a supermarket here in Japan, and it's more like a drug store in the Unites States than a conbini in Japan, isn't it?

Hiroyuki? See all that fruit and veg and salads?

(not shown was the Tomatoes, Bananas and Lemons)

NONE of that can ever be found in any US 7-11!

Wawa is a diamond in the US Conbini market.

Not even the range of lowfat dairy items are found

in most US Conbinis.

Wawa USED to be a Farm Stand Mkt, thats why its healthier.

Im off to 7-11 soon. Ive chosen the NICEST one.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 3 months later...

For lunch a couple days ago I picked a "soup spaghetti", I have had these quite a few times and enjoy them. At one restaurant close to by house this is all they serve. This falls in between a sauced pasta and an actual soup and I am not sure if this is a Japanese creation or they actually serve this in other parts of the world. below is the convenience store version.

Japanese flavor soup spaghetti with umeboshi (pickled plum), chicken, mizuna and wakame seaweed. The soup was a strong garlic flavored chicken broth.

gallery_6134_4148_623091.jpg

After heating it in the microwave

gallery_6134_4148_33729.jpg

It is hard to see the soup but there is about 1/2 cup in there.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

ps_ I stopped at Wawa for lunch

I miss Wawa and the deli stuff they have. &-11 is too limmited in what the offer except for microwave snacks.

The 7-11s in my area have started carrying stuff like saki ika and pocky. Mind you, I'm in California, in an area that has a small, but noticeable population of nikkei and shin issei.

Cheryl

• 6 months later...

Today, the last day of the Golden Week, my children and I went to OKKY, the largest pumped-storage hydroelectric power station in Japan, which is located in Yuzawa town, about 40 to 50-minute ride from my house. We've been to this place more than ten times so far. I posted photos here.

We dropped by Orange Heart, a local conbini chain whose stores can be found in Niigata and other few prefectures. I like this conbini chain because they sell home-made bento, onigiri, and bread.

gallery_16375_5796_39610.jpg

gallery_16375_5796_118423.jpg

As you can see, the rice in the bento and the onigiri are Koshihikari rice produced in the Shiozawa area, Japan's very best rice, and the most expensive.

• 5 months later...