• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian rum line up

Ed Hamilton

After only a cople of days in Toronto and a couple of days in Halifax, here's my prejudiced view. Of course I can't be objective.

One of the first things I noticed was the labels. Many don't seem to be the same as I see in other markets, especially the Caribbean. This began to make sense after I discovered that there are significant advantages for distillers to have their products bottled in Canada, many blended with Canadian rum.

Captain Morgan, for example, is distilled and bottled in Nova Scotia. And unlike the Captain Morgan sold in the US and other markets, in Canada you can buy Captain Morgan white, dark and black, three varieties of the pirate no available south of the border.

The good news is that everyone I talked to at the Liquor Control Boards, in both Nova Scotia and Ontario, was very interested in offering Canadians more choices of rum and are actively pursuing new brands.

Soon, Cruzan products will be available, bottled in Florida at the parent companies own operation where Cruzan products are bottled for the US market.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Good news, if they are trying to improve the selection. I was rather dismayed, after moving to Richmond, BC (next to Vancouver) that the selection of rums does not seem that much better compared to that in Finland. I hope they've time to improve the situation before next August, when I'll be relocating back to Finland...

• 4 weeks later...

Rum is still the forgotten spirit here in the Great White North but at least we have access to Cuban.

One of the first things I noticed was the labels

Labels are different the world over and Canadian bilingual laws make it even stranger.

The British Columbia market actually offers some nice choices but the prices are "monopoly" high: Cruzan 12 year old Single Barrel $49.95 (roughly $37 US), Barbancourt 15 year old $59.95 ( $51 US) and Matusalem 15 year old Grand Reserva $39.99 ( $34 US).

Personally I stick to Havana Club 7 year old $28 ( $23.8 US).

Ontario also carries Stroh 54 - a personal favourite at Christmas - but I'm not sure of the pricing.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I don't know what they say about Stroh in your country, but it is not Rum.

Stroh Original comes from the Austrian "Sebastiaan Stroh" from Klagenfurt. They are famous for their aroma, that has been kept a secret all there years. They use an unknown basic spirit (but not a Rum) and add a sugarcane spirit and the aroma. Therefor it is not a Rum. In the old days the name Rum was written on it. Now this is forbidden (in Europe).

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

I don't know what they say about Stroh in your country, but it is not Rum.

Stroh Original comes from the Austrian "Sebastiaan Stroh" from Klagenfurt. They are famous for their aroma, that has been kept a secret all there years. They use an unknown basic spirit (but not a Rum) and add a sugarcane spirit and the aroma. Therefor it is not a Rum. In the old days the name Rum was written on it. Now this is forbidden (in Europe).

You may wish to take this up with Stroh

or their holding company Eckes Stock International both of whom clearly identify the brand as Rum.

Perhaps you can launch an EEC tribunal "the ministry of beverage triviality" to expose this shameful marketing of a product "as something it is not".

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it's a duck.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

After unsuccessfully trying to contact the Stroh distiller, I've been unable to confirm that their spirits are made from sugar beets or sugar cane. Rum, sold in the US, can only be made from sugar cane juice, syrup, or molasses and distilled to less than 96% alcohol by volume.

I seriously doubt, since Stroh or it's holding company don't identify the raw ingredients, except fruit, used to make their spirits, that it is made from molasses. Austria is a long way from the Caribbean and the logistics of transporting and storing a liquid that becomes even more viscous at temperatures below 20 degrees make me doubtful that Stroh's Rum is actually made from molasses.

The research continues.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

After unsuccessfully trying to contact the Stroh distiller, I've been unable to confirm that their spirits are made from sugar beets or sugar cane.  Rum, sold in the US, can only be made from sugar cane juice, syrup, or molasses and distilled to less than 96% alcohol by volume.

I seriously doubt, since Stroh or it's holding company don't identify the raw ingredients, except fruit, used to make their spirits, that it is made from molasses. Austria is a long way from the Caribbean and the logistics of transporting and storing a liquid that becomes even more viscous at temperatures below 20 degrees make me doubtful that Stroh's Rum is actually made from molasses.

The research continues.

Perhaps I overstepped myself when I said sugar beet "molasses". I'm not sure about that part. I do, however, distinctly remember reading that it was made from sugar beets (probably somewhere in the LCBO literature).

edit: typo

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

In Finland Stroh is on the shelf labelled as something like "Rum-Spirit", which is different from regular "Rum". I've also heard that it is made of sugar beet, just like some Swedish brand that I will never accept as rum.

I think it is about time that the rum industry laid down some shared rules on what can be called rum and what cannot...

The British Columbia market actually offers some nice choices but the prices are "monopoly" high: Cruzan 12 year old Single Barrel $49.95 (roughly $37 US), Barbancourt 15 year old $59.95 ( $51 US) and Matusalem 15 year old Grand Reserva $39.99 ( $34 US).

Please tell me where I can find those rums in Vancouver area, preferably Richmond. I've been only able to find Barbancourt 8 and Appleton rums thus far...

Knowing that something better is available makes this hard to bear...

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it's a duck.

I wish my life was that simple.

Anyway, the European law is simple. If it aint a product from sugarcane (molasse, vesou of what other name you want to give it) it aint a Rum. The name Rum has been on the label for years. If it is a Rum, why did they take the name away in Europe? The American law might be different.

To many people this is indeed triviality, but to serious people in the business, this is an important difference. Why should they work with an expensive Rum when they can get away with a cheaper alcohol?

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

Please tell me where I can find those rums in Vancouver area, preferably Richmond. I've been only able to find Barbancourt 8 and Appleton rums thus far...

Knowing that something better is available makes this hard to bear...

The BCLDB "Mother" store at 39th and Cambie, also try asking the manager at your local store to bring it in - it might not work but if enough people ask the smaller stores will stock premium products.

The BCLDB "Mother" store at 39th and Cambie, also try asking the manager at your local store to bring it in - it might not work but if enough people ask the smaller stores will stock premium products.

Thank you so much! The 39th and Cambie are within easy to reach from Richmond, so I'll make sure to drive there before Christmas to see what they've got. Thanks for the tip! :smile:

Well, I visited the store today (just got back). I managed to get my hands on the last bottle of Barbancourt 15yr on the shelf, so I'm pretty happy!

Also, I must say that this was the friendliest liquor store that I've been to: the clerk with whom I spoke told me that they had had a small office party yesterday night and that they still had some Flor de Cana 12yr left in the back room and asked if I'd like to have a taste of that as well. Well, of course I did!

Still, I ended up buying the Barbancourt, although it was pricier (60 CAD vs. 40 CAD), since it was the last bottle... and it is Christmas, afterall!

• 4 weeks later...

Ed, I did what you suggested and I have to say that I find the 5 star Barbancourt to be a bit more palatable than its older brother. I must say that I was expecting the 12yr to have more or less the same characteristics as the 5 star rum, but finer. As it is, the 12yr rum has little resemblance to the 8yr old.

I have 2 bottles of the Reserve Speciale (5 stars) that are bottled in the 1930's.

This year I am going to open 1 of them, together with a 5 star that is bottled recently. I think that it is going to be an interesting event. Anybody who is interested in tasting is welcome.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

Good news, if they are trying to improve the selection. I was rather dismayed, after moving to Richmond, BC (next to Vancouver) that the selection of rums does not seem that much better compared to that in Finland. I hope they've time to improve the situation before next August, when I'll be relocating back to Finland...

Try the WaaZuBee Cafe on Commercial Drive. They have a rum list with about 14 rums including some 10 and 15 year old Dominicans.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've never heard of WaazuBee Cafe before. Judging from what I read about it on dinehere.ca , it sounds like the food and ambience has been on the decline for the past few years, but if it does have a 10+ list of rums, I'm there!