• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

M&D's Cafe - Denver BBQ

So six of us trekked down to the newly refurbished M&D's Cafe to sample the BBQ. I was with three individuals that are official BBQ judges who, in addition to their regular day jobs, have sampled a heck of a lot of BBQ. Most of us had the BBQ combo platter -- an enormous platter of assorted BBQ for $18 -- included were brisket, sliced pork, two huge pork ribs, chicken and a mess of hot links. Also comes with two sides of your choice. One lone dissenter ordered the fried catfish and brisket combo and he turned out to be the big winner. We sampled all three sauces.

The overwhelming consensus is that we were underwhelmed. The winners were the ribs, they had a nice smoky flavor and were huge, the coleslaw -- sweet but not too sweet and crsipy, the coller greens,the medium BBQ sauce, good but not great sauce -- very tomatoey based, almost like liquid smoke and spices were added to a classic italian "gravy." The brisket was dried out and had clearly been pre-sliced and had very little smoke flavor. The prok was more tender, but again pre-sliced and without the requisite smoke flavor. Chicken was fine and I am not a huge hot link fan, so hard to judge.

The big winner was the catfish, which, according to the server we asked on the way out is the second most popular item on the menu (ribs are #1). The catfish was corn meal battered and fried, light and perfectly cooked (no smoke). Perhaps M&D's is more of a southern joint than a BBQ joint . . we are considering a second trip for the Sunday brunch but have way too many other BBQ places to visit before returning for Q.

Anyone else want to weigh in or start a BBQ thread. My compatriots swear by the Hickory House i Parker and Aspen as the best ribs in all of Colorado. We are planning trips to Chapter One and some other places in the near term.

Anyone else want to weigh in or start a BBQ thread.

(Jumping up and down and raising hand) Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me!

This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. My favorites in town are:

1. Brother's BBQ (several metro area locations)- great meats, with good smoke taste, good sauces, wonderful beans. They also have reasonably good French Fries (another of my passions as readers of the ICON Burger thread know) that are tasty dipped in the sauce of your choice. Having fries w/ my Q is something I learned to like in KC. In my experience, places here don't have them on the menu as often. Good ribs here as well.

a close second...

2. KT's Hickr'y Pit (locations in Boulder and Broomfield) - a little less consistent than Brother's and not as good as it was when they were operating out of an old house on the east end of Arapahoe in Boulder, but still darn good. Ribs aren't as good here as Brother's. Pork is the best choice in my opinion. Very friendly people. Don't miss the "June Bowl" which involves meat, sauce, and two sides (cole slaw and beans for me, please) all mixed up in a bowl!

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

KT's Hickr'y Pit (locations in Boulder and Broomfield) - a little less consistent than Brother's and not as good as it was when they were operating out of an old house on the east end of Arapahoe in Boulder

So, did they used to be farther out on Arapahoe? Their place at 75th and Arapahoe always seemed pretty far out there to me.

Or has that location closed? I liked that location better than the Broadway one, so I'd be kinda sad at that news.

Of course, I'm not that big a connoisseur of BBQ. Not that I don't like it, I do, I just usually find any BBQ to be good. I liked Tony Roma's, Bennett's. Heck, I didn't mind the McRib. My favorite is probably Daddy Bruce's in Boulder, though. It must be the sauce...

Edited by TheMatt (log)

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

So, did they used to be farther out on Arapahoe?  Their place at 75th and Arapahoe always seemed pretty far out there to me.

Or has that location closed?  I liked that location better than the Broadway one, so I'd be kinda sad at that news.

If I remember, KT's was in an small old house at 63rd and Arapahoe.

If I remember, KT's was in an small old house at 63rd and Arapahoe.

Hmm...guess I'm too young to remember that. Thanks.

Yep that's correct. It's that house that is now the offices of some moving company I think. The location at 75th and Arapahoe is still open.

Edited by Chezhoff (log)

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

• 3 weeks later...

I went to M&D's once and enjoyed the ribs (hot links weren't as good). Catfish was good, but I am used to my father's fresh-caught, perfectly-filleted specimens and my mom's batter and god-like southern cooking capabilities, so there's really no comparison.

Brother's BBQ is more of a fast food joint with platic utensils. Mr. rlm really likes the chicken sandwich. The ribs were thankfully good without extra sauce, as I didn't really care for their original blend. The Broomfield location is wedged into a weird spot.

Will have to try KT's again. It's been so long since I tried the one in Broomfield I can't really remember much about it.

I've heard the Hickory House in Aspen is great though.

Anyone been to Brickyard BBQ?

Amy, what is Chapter One?

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I'm not Amy but Chapter One is a BBQ place on Quebec where Iiliff turns into Evans. It has gotten mixed reviews from some of my bbq buddies. I like Big Pappas on Evans just west of Monaco in the same center as the Palace oriental rest. He uses hickory in a Southern Pride smoker. Cooks at 215 to 225 degrees for about six hours. Does two kinds of ribs, brisket, pulled pork, hot links, chicken etc. Also has pretty good catfish, several sides, both sweet and reg. iced tea. In fact my wife and I are meeting my foodie friend who turned us on to the place, for lunch on Monday.

colestove

Lehndorff mentions Big Papa's and another 'cue proprietor known as Yazoo BBQ Company in today's Rocky:

New rib joints revel in smokin' hot 'cue

I think Big Papa's will be next for me. I mean, SWEET TEA outside of the south, honest to god?! With the sugar mixed in for you while the tea is hot, rather than just sugar packets placed on the table that won't dissolve in your cold tea?

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I have eaten at Yazoo's a couple of times and it is absolutely worth a visit. Great smoke flavor, I don't think I've had the ribs yet, but the pork was very good.

I'm afraid the whole sweet tea thing doesn't really do it for me--unless it's that mint stuff that they do at morrocan places, I'll take my tea without.

I agree with you Amy about M & D's--I like the place, it was busy last time we were in to pick up an order, and it is a great asset to the neighborhood. But the BBQ was nothing special.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep