• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: little ms foodie - Sauteing in Seattle

As LMF's best friend I will have to jump in here and say that she has shown me quite a bit about wine. We were "roomies" for a while from 1995 - 1997 ish o0r so....? maybe 1998 and she used to take me to many wine tastings here in Seattle and we would go and buy different wines and try them. She has been interested in wine and determined to learn about it for many years. She has great knowledge and it is a great time to try new and different wines with her.

Is she totally making me look good or what??? :biggrin: Yeah, yeah Della your $5 is in the mail! How was the rest of that Syrah from lunch yesterday? :raz:

It's true though that we had a wine rack when we were 24ish(???) the racking system at that time was also alphabetical (I'm a bit of a control freak!

:wacko: ) and then the expensive bottles on the bottom. Those were the bottles my friends would hide from me to freak me out!

One of the local wineries even had a case punch card that Della and I tried to fill!!! Espresso card, wine card, hey this is Seattle...it's all good!! :biggrin:

Come to think of it, I remember our wine rack was in the dining room, in the SUN! :shock: Better than my apartment before where I kept them on top of the kitchen cupboards....... :angry:

Your photos looks so fabulous that I just asked Blovie if he had any need to go back to Seattle for meetings (we were there in Oct '01). :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hi Pan! Hey my brother in law lives in the E village. Have you eaten at a restaurant called First?

No, I've never been there. I'm pretty sure it closed a few months ago. But there are so many bars and restaurants in this neighborhood that even if I went to a different one every day (and I don't), I wouldn't hit them all. It sure beats the Upper West Side, where I used to live, although I think the UWS has been gradually improving as a restaurant neighborhood for several years.

It would be nice for your brother-in-law to join eGullet and post about more of his favorites on the New York Forum. Is he another foodie?

Michael aka "Pan"

Hey! How were those bubbles??? Now you know when I'm in Paris and my friends and I drink champagne it is tres chic to eat Pringles with your sparkling. I'm not kidding!!!  :laugh:

The bubbles were great, but completely trumped by your normal meals. But, I can totally see Pringles with champagne. Especially a big yeasty beasty... the salt and slight heartiness of them is kind of like (yeah, someone will flame me for this) caviar, only less over the top with either.

The next time I'm in Paris, I'll have to try the Pringles thing... or maybe when I'm reading eG in front my my PC.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Hi Pan! Hey my brother in law lives in the E village. Have you eaten at a restaurant called First?

No, I've never been there. I'm pretty sure it closed a few months ago. But there are so many bars and restaurants in this neighborhood that even if I went to a different one every day (and I don't), I wouldn't hit them all. It sure beats the Upper West Side, where I used to live, although I think the UWS has been gradually improving as a restaurant neighborhood for several years.

It would be nice for your brother-in-law to join eGullet and post about more of his favorites on the New York Forum. Is he another foodie?

Not really, he is more of an eMusicLover!! :biggrin: He actually works as a writer about pop culture, music, etc.

Too bad about First. Next time we are in the Village I will certainly inquire of you for some new and happening places!

The bubbles were great, but completely trumped by your normal meals.  But, I can totally see Pringles with champagne.  Especially a big yeasty beasty... the salt and slight heartiness of them is kind of like (yeah, someone will flame me for this) caviar, only less over the top with either.

Champagne trumped??? NEVER! Glad it was good! salty crispy and chilled bubbles.... now thats a meal!! :biggrin:

Your photos looks so fabulous that I just asked Blovie if he had any need to go back to Seattle for meetings (we were there in Oct '01). :laugh:

Well if you come out in March it will be the 25 for $25 again!!!

I appreciate your comments Bloviatrix!!

I guess I haven't come clean and confessed my love for dessert wines yet hu? :hmmm:

gallery_16100_3_1100238723.jpg

Tonight I had a nice Sauternes that I picked up at the wine shop last night. It was really good!! A bit like apricots. I haven't had this one before, if anyone else has I'd be interested to know more about it.

Goodnight!

Wendy

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Still following your blog and loving it, and so glad it's full of photos... I haven't taken the time to comment a lot, but I'm here and enjoying it.

You have great shopping places!

Several things are jumping out at me, too numerous to mention. I so agree with you about wild salmon, and wish we had the availability more often. And... Pringles and Champagne, yes! I love buttery salty popcorn with Champagne so I'll be trying that.

Another reason your blog is so much fun is that you have several eGulls from the PNW contributing... awesome!

Keep up the good work.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Good morning!!

Breakfast today was espresso and items we picked up at le Panier in the market yesterday. Pain au chocolate for Dayne and a croissant for me.

gallery_16100_3_1100276881.jpg

I love good croissants! The kind that are crispy crunchy on the outside and make a big mess when you eat them. Plain is good, jam on them is also good! The ones that Costco makes are so fluffy it's a little irritating :angry: but I will buy those sometimes and keep them in the freezer.

Off to make tea so I can read emails, posts, etc.

Susan, I'm glad you are enjoying this! Thank you.

I just found some tasting notes on the web from my Sauternes last night:

CHATEAU DE COSSE, Sauternes

This vintage is characterized by a weak overall yield, whose quality diminished for later harvests. Indeed, the fine early harvest, with developed botrytis on ripe grapes, was unfortunately followed by rain. The selection was made essentially from the early sorts. This vintage is lively on the palate, and its juice will only be fully appreciated after some time.

website

seems it's a second wine from the CHÂTEAU RIEUSSEC and a member of the Domaines Baron de Rothschild Group. Well I wonder if they consider 2 years 'some time'? It tasted very "lively" to me!

So while I was cooking last night I thought of a few things we do and wondered how many others do them too. One is we have started composting. We have a little bucket under the sink and put our veggie stuffs in that and then we have a compost bin behind our house.

gallery_16100_3_1100231001.jpg

I'm not a big gardener but we have started doing this to cut down on the amount of garbage we have to have picked up each week. It seems to be working out well.

Another thing I do, mainly to save room in my fridge and because I like the way they look is to keep my fresh herbs as a bouquet in the kitchen window.

gallery_16100_3_1100231645.jpg

I was watching a show one time and they were talking about what you bring the hostess of a dinner and someone said they bring a bouquet of herbs. I thought that was really cute! Anyway, mine sit in the window, I change the water everyday or so and I just take out what I need.

I do the same thing with herbs. They really last a lot longer that way.

And are you a Tabasco fan or a chilehead in general?

I keep a bottle of the new Tabasco Chipotle Sauce :wub: in a drawer at work.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I do the same thing with herbs.  They really last a lot longer that way.

And are you a Tabasco fan or a chilehead in general? 

I keep a bottle of the new Tabasco Chipotle Sauce  :wub:  in a drawer at work.

Not a huge fan of the spicy stuff but these are so cute, they came with room service in Las Vegas one time and I thought they were fun so I took them!! Now that doesn't mean I have a problem taking things!!! It was just that once! :hmmm:

:laugh:

The pictures of the seafood made me want to cry. I can't rememer the last time I saw fresh seafood. Even the catfish is usually frozen then thawed and labeled "fresh." And the prices here are higher.

I didn't see your post until this afternoon, but I was laying in bed last night wishing for a fresh, whole dungeness crab that's all for me. My parents and I used to go to Ambleside Park in West Vancouver, set out a couple of traps, catch a couple of crabs, and go home immediately to cook and eat them. I like mine with a vinegar, garlic and hot sauce dipping sauce or plain. Yum!

...and wondered how many others do them too.

No, not into composting, at least yet. I've heard it attracts unwanted critters in these parts. :unsure:

Yes, on the bouquets of herbs, only we use them as centerpieces on our dining room and porch tables. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This is all so great. Little Ms Foodie, if I didn't already live here your blog would make me want to move to Seattle. After seeing your crab pictures I now MUST run up to the Market during lunch (I work near Pioneer Square, too) to pick up a couple crabs for dinner.

This is all so great. Little Ms Foodie, if I didn't already live here your blog would make me want to move to Seattle. After seeing your crab pictures I now MUST run up to the Market during lunch (I work near Pioneer Square, too) to pick up a couple crabs for dinner.

They are a pretty good price right now! Just tell them to stick them on some ice for you. We told them we needed 2 cocktails worth of ice! :laugh:

I have no idea what lunch today will be. My boss wants to go grab something with me in about an hour, I told him to pick. It will most likely be a sandwich, pizza or the like. He doesn't know about the blog!! I'm sure he will think I'm a total wacko when I snap some pictures! haha! :rolleyes:

No, not into composting, at least yet. I've heard it attracts unwanted critters in these parts.

hmmm, I wonder why it's not the same here? Of course there is no animal products in our compost, just veggie and coffee grinds. I will be on the watch! I can't stand critters!! :angry:

hmmm, I wonder why it's not the same here? Of course there is no animal products in our compost, just veggie and coffee grinds. I will be on the watch! I can't stand critters!! :angry:

Having lived in both florida, and seattle, I think that one's level of intimacy with wildlife is far greater in Florida than the Pacific NW. Interaction with urban wildlife critters in Seattle is the exception, I've found. In Florida, it can be a daily occurence.

Compost here, properly done, should not attract much attention from the critters. If we had composted in Miami, there would have been a creature carnival in our backyard on a nightly basis. Actually, there already was.

By the way, the blog is great. I am thoroughly enjoying seeing how another Seattlite cooks and lives.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Thanks for that info crouching tiger, makes sense.

Lunch today, picked by my boss.....

gallery_16100_3_1100295773.jpg

Taco Del Mar :blink:

He had the taco salad, I had the enchilada's. Not the worst thing I ever ate, not the best. I've eaten at Taco del Mar a total of 3 times in my life now. First time I had one of the burritos. They are just much to big for me! Last time I had the taco salad...yuk!! The enchilada was fine, I had one chicken and one pork. The pork was very dry :angry:

IMO you can put sourcream on many things and they will taste ok! :smile:

I had an ice tea with my lunch as my meal came with a small drink. This was the first time I have seen unsweetened ice tea on a menu. I hate those flavored and sweet teas (my apologies to the south!).

Wendy

Thanks for that info crouching tiger, makes sense.

Lunch today, picked by my boss.....

gallery_16100_3_1100295773.jpg

Taco Del Mar  :blink:

He had the taco salad, I had the enchilada's. Not the worst thing I ever ate, not the best. I've eaten at Taco del Mar a total of 3 times in my life now. First time I had one of the burritos. They are just much to big for me! Last time I had the taco salad...yuk!! The enchilada was fine, I had one chicken and one pork. The pork was very dry  :angry:

IMO you can put sourcream on many things and they will taste ok! :smile:

Wendy

You need to come south for the real stuff little miss foodie, or at least be here when I'm catching yellowfin tuna and dorado.

You need to come south for the real stuff little miss foodie, or at least be here when I'm catching yellowfin tuna and dorado.

WELCOME to eG Capt. John!!! :biggrin:

(ok, more full disclosure....I'm pretty sure this is my uncle!! :wub: )

WELCOME to eG Capt. John!!! :biggrin:

(ok, more full disclosure....I'm pretty sure this is my uncle!! :wub: )

Guilty - I am Wendy's uncle - although i'm not to sure after hearing about the blue cheese aversion. :cool:

Dinner tonight will be at a restaurant called Troiani. It's been open for about a year and a half and is owned by the same group that owns El Gaucho and Waterfront for those who are familar.

We have been there for happy hour a few times as the food is great and they have specials until 6pm, $4 plates of seared ahi, grilled prawns, etc. And $5 drinks! We haven't had dinner there yet because just like El Gaucho, Troiani doesn't have the cheapest prices in town. :sad:

But tonight we are going out with friends (who will soon find out their food will be photographed! :unsure: ) to dinner and to see a humorist/show. The show is just 2 blocks away so it's a good excuse to try the restaurant. Plus Troiani has free valet parking which is great in downtown Seattle.

We'll be meeting eG'er Della after the show for drinks to toast her birthday. I hope you are all understanding that there will be much liquor involved tonight and dinner pictures won't be posted until the morning!!! :laugh:

Tomorrow is Saturday and Dayne and I will be going to the local farmers market and will of course take lots of pictures of the foods and produce to share here.

Wendy

Oh and I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to 2 of my PNW members Della and Laurel!

Have a great day ladies!!!  :biggrin:

Thanks girl! Laurel and I have exchanged happy wishes already :biggrin: and I know you are going to tell everyone that I am 26!!!! Keep in mind I am not very much older than you........... :wub: