• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: little ms foodie - Sauteing in Seattle

Oh how funny! I just met you last night and here you are blogging. Sure enjoyed chatting at the Bourdain dinner and am really looking forward to reading this blog. Nice pictures of Salumi. Got to go get some tomorrow :raz:

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Porchetta sandwich for me and a glass of wine

gallery_16100_3_1100034069.jpg

Cotecchino sandwich for Dayne

gallery_16100_3_1100034091.jpg

I remember hearing about this place! Is that porchetta sandwich as good as it looks?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I sadly missed the Bourdain dinner due to being fart too broke but got my book signed yesterday. I only just made it to Salumi for the first time last week. Holy moly is Armo's stuff good. the fennel and pepper salami is just phenomenal. I only wish his hours were a bit more reasonable for those of us who have day jobs and such.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Just letting you know that I've decided it's time. I'm toasting your anniversary and your blog tonight. The bottle shall be drained :biggrin:

Your blog is lovely stuff! Keep it coming!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I may have missed Soba's teaser in the previous foodblog, and wondered who might be next. Very excited that it's you! Such a vibrant beginning, looking forward to your week in food, LMF. Espresso with a cube of sugar and boiled eggs & salt for breakfast one of these mornings? :raz:

Happy anniversary and have fun blogging.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Very late getting home tonight as we needed to stop at Crate and Barrel for some new kitchen gadgets. They will be used later this week. Blogging is a great excuse for shopping I've found! :biggrin:

Regarding Salumi, let me just say that it is GREAT!! Anyone who visits Seattle need only to mention that they'd like to go to Salumi and the local chapter will all volunteer to take you. Armandino even smiled when I told him it was for eGullet and said "those people like to have a good time!" :wink:

lmf - i'm so glad to see you blogging! if you can (and don't mind) i'd love to hear a little bit about how you became interested in food and cooking - and please post a picture of where you make the magic happen.

Here is the very sad kitchen

gallery_16100_3_1100057227.jpg

It's big but it is old!!! and the space is totally wasted. The counters are too low for appliances and they are only on one wall.

There is room for my bistro table though

gallery_16100_3_1100057253.jpg

We don't eat dinner here but we sometimes have lunch here. It's also where one of us or guests will hang out while we are cooking.

And here is the stove that is certainly on it's last legs

gallery_16100_3_1100057280.jpg

We love the house and would spend time remodeling but the neighborhood isn't good for us so we will move next year. We will rent the house to college students which is why we aren't renovating the kitchen.

Time for cocktails and appetizers while we make dinner!

Just letting you know that I've decided it's time.  I'm toasting your anniversary and your blog tonight.  The bottle shall be drained :biggrin:

Your blog is lovely stuff!  Keep it coming!

Now THAT makes me proud to blog!!! Cheers back at ya! :biggrin:

Wendy

I haven't been a member of egullet for very long but I can say that I am enjoying your blog thus far!!! Your excitement and love of food/wine/cooking definately shines through. I am looking forward to your week of blogging.

I haven't been a member of egullet for very long but I can say that I am enjoying your blog thus far!!! Your excitement and love of food/wine/cooking definately shines through. I am looking forward to your week of blogging.

:wub::wub:

ahhh, thanks babe!! you are sweet!!!

(full disclosure, this is my best friend in the world. we have known each other since 5th grade!)

So tonight like usual Dayne and I came home from work together and got into the kitchen. We sit down usually on Fridays or Saturdays and plan a menu for the week. Dayne normally cooks 2 meals and I cook the rest. As I mentioned before we usually go out at least once.

The big thing with me is I like to use as many local products as I can. We have a farmers market just 3 blocks from us on Saturdays during the growing season. Dayne and I shop there each week. This isn't Pike Place Market but it is the neighborhood version of that. Stayed tuned and see it on Sat!

Tonight Dayne made us his awesome ginger-inis!

gallery_16100_3_1100057387.jpg

We got this from one of our favorite bars- Sambar. Justin, our favorite bartender gave Dayne the lowdown!

Dayne macerates fresh ginger in gin. He makes a ginger/simple syrup by boiling 1/4 c. sliced fresh ginger (skin on) with cup 1/2 of sugar and 1 c. water. as soon as it boils he takes it off the heat and lets it steep for 10 -15mins. Strain and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Per cocktail: muddle 2 slices of macerated ginger with 1 ounce of ginger syrup, 1 ounce lime juice and ice- add 2 ounces gin, strain into martini glasses.

I put together some Caars cracked pepper crackers with locally smoked wild salmon and creme fraiche.

gallery_16100_3_1100057621.jpg

As you can see we had company for appetizers. I think our cat was more interested in the drinks than the salmon! Good cat!! :laugh:

if you can (and don't mind) i'd love to hear a little bit about how you became interested in food and cooking -

thanks!

So back to your question (note to self: man it takes some time to upload photos!!)

I remember playing around in the kitchen when young and thinking it was fun but really my mom was a 1970's cream of mushroom soup girl and my dad liked us to have the same thing for dinner each day of the week (speghetti sunday, pork chop monday, meatloaf tues, you get the picture) so it really didn't bloom, so to speak.

When I moved in college and lived with people I always thought it fun to cook from recipes. But when I lived with my first boyfriend I found that I loved to cook and of course get the kudos that came with a meal. At this time cooking was using jarred sauces and bad cheese though. He didn't know the difference :wacko:

Boyfriends came and went, my cooking got a bit better but I was still staying with recipes and shopping cheaply.

For a while I didn't cook at all because I started living alone, had a kitchen the size of an airplane restroom and was making good money. Out I went! Seattle has great restaurants and great chefs. My mom would eat out with me often, we tried as many new restaurants as we could.

In the meantime my best friend started working at a catering company and started talking about food all the time. Really good food. And she made stuff!! And not from recipes. Call it healthy competition but man I wanted to cook like her :smile:

I find cooking for others nuturing, I like it when people know they will get a good meal and you have put thought and effort into it. And it is made with love and caring!

As I mentioned earlier when Dayne and I first got married I was lucky enough to take a year off....and watch the food network....and go to Switzerland and France. I wanted to take care of the guy who was taking care of me! And I found a lot of comfort in cooking, chopping, tasting, seasoning...and then I found eGullet. It's addicting!!!

So this is the long version and I hope I haven't bored you all but it's what it's all about for me. Friends, family, around a table, in a kitchen, good smells, good eats, full tummies!

Speaking of, I'm full and tired and am going to go snuggle with my honey on the couch, finish our bottle of wine and then go to bed. :wub:

I'll post the rest of dinner in the morning!

I find cooking for others nuturing, I like it when people know they will get a good meal and you have put thought and effort into it. And it is made with love and caring!

So this is the long version and I hope I haven't bored you all but it's what it's all about for me. Friends, family, around a table, in a kitchen, good smells, good eats, full tummies!

i think that's about it in a nutshell, lmf :biggrin: ...this is the first foodblog i've followed since i joined (what, a couple weeks ago? seems like ages;) ) and already i am entranced by your effervescent style and obvious love of food and cooking. :smile: much happiness to you both and i eagerly anticipate the coming week!

--mike

Off to a great start, lmf! Now I wish I could get up to Seattle to try Salumi!

You mentioned going to France and Switzerland in the same breath as expanding/learning more about food. Did you just eat really great food there and learn by absorption? :wink: Or did you attend classes of some of kind?

Looking forward to this week in your blog. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I am enjoying this so! What fun, to get a glimpse into the life of another couple who loves food and drink and cooking together. It's fun to read the foodblogs of people whose lives are different from ours, and it's fun when following someone's whose lifestyle and food tastes are similar. In this case, it's the latter!

I'm happy for the two of you, and I love it that you took the opportunity you had to be unemployed during your first year of marriage. Sounds like bliss to be. I always wanted to be a stay-at-home married woman, more than I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom after kids came along!

We have heard so much about Salumi, and now we have seen it... such a cool way to start your blog.

And I like the looks of your kitchen! It looks warm and inviting, and I would love to take a seat at your bistro table and watch you cook. :smile:

I may have missed Soba's teaser in the previous foodblog, and wondered who might be next. Very excited that it's you!
For those who don't know the process of who blogs when... Sometimes bloggers are scheduled in advance, and sometimes the current blogger picks the next from a list that Soba provides. We feel proud to have passed this baton to Wendy!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Good morning everyone! I have a bit of catching up to do and a very busy day at work! I'll do what I can but I promise to be fully up to date by tonight!

Last night we tried a new soup recipe. I am trying out some new dishes for an upcoming dinner party we are having. I love having people over for dinner! Normally it's just one couple at a time as we have such a small amount of counter space that it is hard to find room for plates, platters, etc.

This upcoming dinner party is for 8 and I'm doing a 7 course tasting menu. The soup we tried out last night has won it's way onto the menu! Garlic Soup from a little no name French cookbook I have.

Mis en place for Garlic Soup

gallery_16100_3_1100063675.jpg

Chicken broth (store bought as we are out of our homemade that we did following the eG class :angry: ), 2 heads of garlic smashed and peeled, 3 egg yolks, bouqet garni, 1 potato diced and 4 slices of bacon diced, EVOO, S&P

Main ingrediants in the pot to soften

gallery_16100_3_1100063716.jpg

After the stock and bouquet garni go in it simmered for 30 mins.

then egg yolk whisked with EVOO acts as a thickener!

gallery_16100_3_1100063828.jpg

After mixing into the soup the whole thing it gets strained, I didn't temper the egg mixture at first until I saw it hit the hot soup! That will get done before the dinner party!!!

gallery_16100_3_1100063917.jpg

Seasoning and tasting. Dayne bought me a special tasting spoon when we were in San Fran celebrating our anniversary. It is cool! Made of olive tree wood which I love and the perfect size for little sips!

gallery_16100_3_1100063956.jpg

We made some little cheese toasts with Gruyere and placed them in the bottom of the bowl.

gallery_16100_3_1100064042.jpg

ladled the soup over and viola!

gallery_16100_3_1100064077.jpg

Dayne made a great salad. Locally grown lettuces, arugula and carrots all purchased last week at our farmers market and lime mustard that I brought back from Paris.

gallery_16100_3_1100063881.jpg

Our wine for the night from our cellar (I use that term very loosly btw!)

gallery_16100_3_1100063753.jpg

Dinner!!!

gallery_16100_3_1100064141.jpg

My. tongue. is. hanging. out. :wub:

You've barely started the week, and it's going like gangbusters! This is wonderful!

What was that soup called? It's gorgeous!

I agree with Snowangel; the memories and good food and love that come out of a kitchen are far more important than its looks. You may not like the way it's laid out, but you certainly seem to make the most of it. Great decorations, by the way. Besides, your dining room makes up for the kitchen!

Nancy

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wow!

Beautiful soup and great blog, lmf! Thanks a bunch for bringing us with... I have been vaguely considering a trip up to Seattle just to visit Salumi, your pictures and descriptions have moved that idea firmly into the definite planning stage.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Squeat

PS Is that a waiter playing the violin on your EVOO?

Garlic Soup from a little no name French cookbook I have.

C'mon, don't be shy... what's the name?

:smile:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

i think that's about it in a nutshell, lmf :biggrin: ...this is the first foodblog i've followed since i joined (what, a couple weeks ago?  seems like ages;) ) and already i am entranced by your effervescent style and obvious love of food and cooking.    :smile: much happiness to you both and i eagerly anticipate the coming week!

--mike

Mike that is such a nice comment, thank you!!!

You mentioned going to France and Switzerland in the same breath as expanding/learning more about food. Did you just eat really great food there and learn by absorption?  Or did you attend classes of some of kind?

Well I am very lucky to have a friend who was living in Geneva, now lives in Paris, who puts me up (and up with me!) for free and encourages me to come over often. I also am very lucky to have airline miles :wink: and a very nice husband who knows that I love travel and I LOVE France :wub: . So last Oct. I went to spent a bit of time in Geneva, Zurich, Annecy and Paris.

I really love French and French influenced foods. I'm a big fan of butter and sauces! haha! By hanging out with "locals" and eating at friends and in neighborhood bistros it just raised my level of awareness of the freshness of ingrediants and purchasing from as many local suppliers as possible. That is why I'm trying to do that at my home. I also bring back lots of different products to play with at home.

I haven't had the chance to take any classes but anytime I travel I try to incorporate those foods and tastes that I really loved into my cooking at home.

PS Is that a waiter playing the violin on your EVOO?

Yep, a little Guy Buffett print on my oil bottles. And my trivet. I think they are funny!

Garlic Soup from a little no name French cookbook I have.
C'mon, don't be shy... what's the name?

I think the name is "A Taste of France" it's a little softcover book that one of my girlfriends gave me last year and I have been working my way through it because everything comes out great!