• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: little ms foodie - Sauteing in Seattle

Hey Cap't John!!!! Nice to "see you" :laugh: Is Little Miss Foodie's post great or what??? And to keep things in the family calm, please note that she tried a mild blue cheese at my house recently and managed to eat a couple bites!

Just catching up on your blog, hi from another PNW'erner. Your blog is making me grateful that I live in such an area of such bounty, especially fresh seafood and so many local wineries. Sometimes I guess I take it for granted, even though I spent many years in Utah....which is kind of a wasteland except for the great outdoors.

Hope to meet you someday at some of the get-togethers. Btw, anytime you want to arrange an eGullet lunch at Salumi, I'll be there. I only work 3-4 blocks away... :smile:

Just catching up on your blog, hi from another PNW'erner.  Your blog is making me grateful that I live in such an area of such bounty, especially fresh seafood and so many local wineries.  Sometimes I guess I take it for granted, even though I spent many years in Utah....which is kind of a wasteland except for the great outdoors.

Hope to meet you someday at some of the get-togethers.  Btw, anytime you want to arrange an eGullet lunch at Salumi, I'll be there. I only work 3-4 blocks away... :smile:

Thanks Sequim, you know I am appreciating Seattle a bit more this week too!!

The pictures of the seafood made me want to cry. I can't rememer the last time I saw fresh seafood. Even the catfish is usually frozen then thawed and labeled "fresh." And the prices here are higher.

It is pretty bleak, isn't it.

Hy Wendy!

Finally had time to prowl though the whole blog (so far) and am loving it! You're making us Seattleites look good. :biggrin:

But your Uncle John is right: He's in the heart of Mexican food central. John -- have lunch at Taco Mesa for me, will ya?

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Just a word of appreciation. Thanks. terrific pictures of lovely things. :smile: and the whole was Blogdacious.

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I will apologize in advance for my dinner photos from last night. I was too close and most are quite blurry, I had the flash off as to not disturb other diners!

We met our friends in the bar at the restaurant Troiani and had a few happy hour drinks. Rosemary lemon drops for $5! yum!!

gallery_16100_3_1100368268.jpg

We then moved into a nice big booth. They had a Salumi salami plate so we shared that while looking over the menus. It was so good that I almost forgot to snap a photo before we finished it off! haha!

gallery_16100_3_1100368308.jpg

The owner came over and helped us pick out a nice red, a mix of nebbiolo and barbaresco I think he said. It was really nice. Interestingly enough when he opened the 2nd bottle he took it away saying it was corked, brought out another without problem. Very nice to have them be able to smell that right away instead of having us taste it!

gallery_16100_3_1100368338.jpg

Most of the choices came in small or full portion sizes. This was great as it gave us all a chance to try lots of things. Dayne and I shared the paperadelle with wild boar sauce. YUMMMMMMM!!! Noodles made in house! Great texture.

gallery_16100_3_1100368370.jpg

For mains Dayne had the lamb chops with parmesan and mustard crust. Here's where things get fuzzy!!! :blink:

gallery_16100_3_1100368436.jpg

And I had the most awesome filet mignon with white truffle cream sauce! The piece of pancetta was on the side as were two perfectly roasted (in bacon fat) fingerling potatoes

gallery_16100_3_1100368481.jpg

Sides of parmesan mashed potatoes, garlicky green beans and wild mushroom saute were shared by everyone.

gallery_16100_3_1100368522.jpg

We were sooo full and going to a reading so Dayne and I both had espresso

gallery_16100_3_1100368556.jpg

Our friends had some sweets. The zabigone (??) came with a table side display of flaming fruit in calvados

gallery_16100_3_1100368587.jpg

My friend just could not understand why only the food got to be in the pictures! To make him happy.....

gallery_16100_3_1100368610.jpg

After dinner and the reading we went off in search of the birthday girl Della. Her and her boyfriend were having a great dinner at another wonderful Seattle restaurant Lola (newly opened by Tom Douglas). We shared some wine and a desset....chocolate tart with orange marmelade and port ice cream!!! :wub:

gallery_16100_3_1100368640.jpg

They put a candle on it and said it was on the house. Very nice!

I will apologize in advance for my dinner photos from last night. I was too close and most are quite blurry, I had the flash off as to not disturb other diners!

We met our friends in the bar at the restaurant Troiani and had a few happy hour drinks. Rosemary lemon drops for $5! yum!!

gallery_16100_3_1100368268.jpg

We then moved into a nice big booth. They had a Salumi salami plate so we shared that while looking over the menus. It was so good that I almost forgot to snap a photo before we finished it off! haha!

gallery_16100_3_1100368308.jpg

The owner came over and helped us pick out a nice red, a mix of nebbiolo and barbaresco I think he said. It was really nice. Interestingly enough when he opened the 2nd bottle he took it away saying it was corked, brought out another without problem. Very nice to have them be able to smell that right away instead of having us taste it!

gallery_16100_3_1100368338.jpg

Most of the choices came in small or full portion sizes. This was great as it gave us all a chance to try lots of things. Dayne and I shared the paperadelle with wild boar sauce. YUMMMMMMM!!! Noodles made in house! Great texture.

gallery_16100_3_1100368370.jpg

For mains Dayne had the lamb chops with parmesan and mustard crust. Here's where things get fuzzy!!!  :blink:

gallery_16100_3_1100368436.jpg

And I had the most awesome filet mignon with white truffle cream sauce! The piece of pancetta was on the side as were two perfectly roasted (in bacon fat) fingerling potatoes

gallery_16100_3_1100368481.jpg

Sides of parmesan mashed potatoes, garlicky green beans and wild mushroom saute were shared by everyone.

gallery_16100_3_1100368522.jpg

We were sooo full and going to a reading so Dayne and I both had espresso

gallery_16100_3_1100368556.jpg

Our friends had some sweets. The zabigone (??) came with a table side display of flaming fruit in calvados

gallery_16100_3_1100368587.jpg

My friend just could not understand why only the food got to be in the pictures! To make him happy.....

gallery_16100_3_1100368610.jpg

After dinner and the reading we went off in search of the birthday girl Della. Her and her boyfriend were having a great dinner at another wonderful Seattle restaurant Lola (newly opened by Tom Douglas). We shared some wine and a desset....chocolate tart with orange marmelade and port ice cream!!!  :wub:

gallery_16100_3_1100368640.jpg

They put a candle on it and said it was on the house. Very nice!

Lil MS Foodie'

Save some of those good restaurant experiences until Karen & I visit in january. I think I have gained 10 lb just reading about all the great meals you are having. Happy birthday to Della :wub: Anita - Taco Mesa is 2 blks from my office in Costa Mesa. You sound like you have had the experience. ido eat at Wahoo's more often - mahi mahi taco's.

Capt John

:cool:

Hy Wendy!

Finally had time to prowl though the whole blog (so far) and am loving it! You're making us Seattleites look good.  :biggrin:

But your Uncle John is right: He's in the heart of Mexican food central. John -- have lunch at Taco Mesa for me, will ya?

~Anita

Thanks Anita!!

naguere & bleudauvergne- thanks for reading!! I'm glad your enjoying it. Lucy, your blog was the first one I read after joining eG. Your pictures and the way you took us through your days are absolutely my inspiration!!! :smile:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Lil MS Foodie'

Save some of those good restaurant experiences until Karen & I visit in january.  I think I have gained 10 lb just reading about all the great meals you are having.  Happy birthday to Della  :wub:  Anita - Taco Mesa is 2 blks from my office in Costa Mesa.  You sound like you have had the experience.  ido eat at Wahoo's more often - mahi mahi taco's.

Capt John

:cool:

Haha! We have already been listing ideas on where to take you guys! I think we already have it nailed down and you don't visit for another 2 months!! I am an uber-planner :raz:

So every Sat from May until Nov there is a local farmer's market just down the street from our house. Seattle has 5 (?) of these markets in different neighborhoods. We are lucky in that ours is the oldest and largest. We go every Sat unless we are out of town, and plan our meals around what is fresh and in season. This is the 2nd to the last week of the market. It's great to watch the market and it's offerings change thru the season.

gallery_16100_3_1100374278.jpg

We usually treat ourselves to lattes before the market at one of our favorite coffee shops, Perkengruven. Dayne had an egg nog latte and mine was vanilla!

gallery_16100_3_1100374348.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100374375.jpg

Then we are on our way to shop. We take a list, we already planned our menus earlier and made both a market list and a grocery list.

We have our favorite vendors of course, people we buy from all the time. We also watch the prices as from farm to farm it can be much different. Most all the farmers are selling Organic items, they have to be certified and they will have a tag displayed that shows it. There are also seafood vendors, flower vendors, bakery stalls, musicians, etc. It's really a fantastic market!

gallery_16100_3_1100374415.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100374601.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100374666.jpg

Goat cheese!!

gallery_16100_3_1100374709.jpg

Goeduck (we buy his mussels and oysters but he wanted to show the goeduck! :smile: )

gallery_16100_3_1100374806.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100374903.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100375012.jpg

this tuna is the best!! packed in EVOO

gallery_16100_3_1100375048.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100375157.jpg

Our Sat. breakfast....from the struedel lady!!

gallery_16100_3_1100375093.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100375127.jpg

Dayne showing off our struedels

gallery_16100_3_1100375184.jpg

everything we bought from the market this week

gallery_16100_3_1100375243.jpg

You better show some rough neighborhoods and nasty food or Seattle is going to get a sharp population spike lol, Seriously Great week,thank you for sharing with us all:)

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

You better show some rough neighborhoods and nasty food or Seattle is going to get a sharp population spike lol, Seriously Great week,thank you for sharing with us all:)

Dave s

LOL! hmmmmm maybe a trip to the 'other side of the tracks' tonight??? :hmmm:

Ah forget it! I don't know where that is!!

Lunch today

gallery_16100_3_1100383347.jpg

Salad greens (we wash them when we get them home from the market and then store them in ziplocks rolled up in a papertowel), red onion and tuna from the farmers market combined with white beans, capers, red wine vinegar, EVOO, S&P.

A very yummy salad!!

gallery_16100_3_1100383394.jpg

The tuna is packed in really good EVOO so I use it to make the vinaigrette. Served with toasted baguette and some water and raspberry apple juice (also from our market)

gallery_16100_3_1100383421.jpg

gallery_16100_3_1100383457.jpg

Oh wow...what a wonderful, wonderful Farmer's Market! Ok, I'm jealous. We don't have anything like that around here - the produce is almost making me weep. I want to try that Romanesco Broccoli! (And the tuna and bean salad doesn't look too bad either!) Thank you for some wonderful pictures (and inspiring food dreams!).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Your Tuna & Bean salad looks great - And I know how good it is! I will have to try to make it this week.......You are inspiring me to be a little more creative in the kitchen and not just live on Taco's for lunch everyday.

I'm snacking on the last of the comte cheese right now and some bottled water. mmmm...I really love cheese! If I'm hungry and not in the mood for anything a big piece of cheese is always good. I'm also having some of those addicting Spanish almonds that have the yummy salt and oil on them. I have to put a small amount in a little dish or I'll eat the whole container! :shock:

So tonight is dinner out again. I'm taking Della to a restaurant called Lark. It's only been open for a year and is doing really well. Dayne and I have eaten there twice before. The last time was on our anniversary. Lark's chef and owner is Jonathon Sundstrom who use to be at the Earth & Ocean restaurant in the W hotel. He is doing small plates but not like tapas. They are meant to be shared and the menu is divided up- vegtables, meat, seafood, etc. It changes with the seasons so it's always fun to go and see what they are doing.

The restaurant is very small and doesn't accept reservations so we will probably end up waiting for a bit in the little bar. It will be a fun night! No boys, girls only!! :biggrin:

Tomorrow I am cooking ALL day!!!

Wow, they take credit cards at your market. That's very modern. Here in NY they deal only in cash.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hi there, I am trying a new recipe and it's basically a potato foam. The recipe calls for a sheet of gelatin but I can't find it. Can I use an envelope of gelatin and if so how much equals one sheet?

My 1997 Cook's Illustrated May/June says that you can use 3 1/2 sheets gelatin to one package powdered geletin (volume = 1 tbsp of powdered)

i usually just lurk on blogs, but the wealth of food at the farmers market and at pike's place brought me out! (the photos and commentary are wonderful as well!) did i really see chanterelles for $4.95/lb??? that wasn't some other currency, right? with food like that, i'll move to seattle rain and all. thanks for the great blog!!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"