• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: little ms foodie - Sauteing in Seattle

Good morning!! So I'm pretty nervous to be blogging this week, it seems others have an effortless way of writing and I'm just not so sure that is the case with me. But I'm excited so I hope you enjoy!!

I've just been on eGullet since March and am learning so much around the forums. The foodblogs have been so interesting to read that I hope there is something others will learn from mine.

My husband and I live in Seattle, WA and we love to cook. We especially like to try to cook with what is locally available and in season. Obviously it's a bit more of a challlenge this time of year but we are still plugging along. :wink:

We are still considered newly weds. Just celebrated our 1st year anniversary. I was lucky in that the first year of our marriage I didn't have to work. I had a whole year to really work on my cooking. I loved starting dinner at 2pm and cooking multiple couses for dinner. So 1950's maybe but such a great feeling to have your love come home and be so excited for dinner!

So now we both are working full time and the all day cooking is reserved for weekends. We still have great dinners every night we are at home though.

This week will be a mix of me cooking at home, menu planning, shopping our local markets and a bit of dining out!

Wendy

Mornings at our house are pretty consistant during the week. We are lucky that we both work in the same area of town and have the same schedule so we carpool in. We always have espresso and a bite of breakfast standing up in our kitchen in the morning.

gallery_16100_3_1100017775.jpg

My husband makes the espressos. We have been trying different types of coffees and grinds. Right now we are using Cafe Vita coffee which is a Seattle local roaster. We bought it from the espresso shop we go to on the weekends. It's called Perkengruven :raz:

Dayne (the husband :wub: ) has been grinding the beans himself lately and it's been tasting great!

This morning we were running a bit late thanks to a very fun eGullet event last night (details later) so we had our espresso with a bowl of Kellogg's Red Berries Special K.

gallery_16100_3_1100017813.jpg

We LOVE this cereal!! MMMmmmmm.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Patti!

Little Ms. Foodie, I know that Seattle has some delicious restaurants. Do you two eat out from time to time?

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks guys!

I know that Seattle has some delicious restaurants. Do you two eat out from time to time?

We actually eat out on average once a week. This week there is quite a bit going on so it will be a total of 3 times out.

Seattle does have such a variety of great restaurants. We have a hard time between going to our favorites and trying the new one's that constinatly crop up.

That coffee looks very nice and the cups and saucers are simply beautiful. Any story behind those?

The cups were a present from my husband when we were still dating. He knows how much I love espresso so when I still lived alone in an apartment he bought me a moka and these handpainted cups and saucers from my favorite espresso shop which also carries the ceramics. They are from Deruta in Italy and I love them!!!

Really looking forward to this one lmf! Especially where you guys are eating out these days. We're only 3 hours drive away, and with the Canuck Buck gaining value a trip to Seattle seems on the horizon. 60 cents on the dollar was a bit much.

Happy blogging!

A.

Good morning!! So I'm pretty nervous to be blogging this week, it seems others have an effortless way of writing and I'm just not so sure that is the case with me. But I'm excited so I hope you enjoy!!...

Wendy

Happy blogging, little ms foodie! We're all looking forward to getting a glimpse of your eating life :smile:.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Oh Wendy this will be fun! Can't wait to hear about your eating adventures especially since I live just north of Seattle! :biggrin:

My husband and I used to eat out every week too when we lived in town, both us were working, and before mortgage payments and our wonderful children :wub: ! With young children our cooking has changed a bit too. So I shall live vicariously through your blog! :laugh:

Once I get to my office in the morning I drink tea. Usually Twinings Earl Grey with milk.

gallery_16100_3_1100021453.jpg

I get teased at work for having a dirty mug all the time. I say it just keeps people from using my cup, and it adds protein I'm sure! :laugh:

So I mentioned that we had a really fun outing last night. As many of you know Anthony Bourdain is on his book tour and a group of us from the PNW/SEA chapter went to the dinner. To say it was fun would be a total understatement!!

It was held at a restaurant called Brasa. Chef Tamara Murphy, who is well known in Seattle, owns it and was in the kitchen cooking dishes out of the Les Halles Cookbook.

There were 20 of us at the table. It was such a fun party! I would have taken the camera had I known I would be blogging but I only found out yesterday!

gallery_16100_3_1100017938.jpg

The dinner started off with glasses of sparkling wine when we arrived. Then plates of pate de campagne arrived with two mustards, cornichons, onions and greens. After that came escargot and then moules et frites. All fantastic! Served with a WA chardonnay.

Frisse salad with lardon and a nice little quail egg on top! Susan I thought of you and Russ!! :smile:

Main was pheasant stuffed with something I haven't had a chance to look up yet. Served with gorgeous mashed potatoes and baby sauted carrots. Cotes du Rhone.

Tarte tatin served with a nice dessert wine thats name is escaping me. If someone from PNW reads this maybe you can add it.

Then came the signing of the books!

gallery_16100_3_1100017976.jpg

Really, really, really fun!!!

This is part of the Cooks and Books events held in Seattle. It is a great program!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Wendy, please post a picture of the OTHER menu that he signed for you. :raz::raz:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Wendy, please post a picture of the OTHER menu that he signed for you. :raz:  :raz:

MsRamsey!!! SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! :blush:

Ohhhhh, now we're all curious! Other menu?? :unsure:

Looking forward to the blog, Wendy. Never been to Seattle so I am looking forward to you showing us around.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Wendy, please post a picture of the OTHER menu that he signed for you. :raz:  :raz:

MsRamsey!!! SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!! :blush:

dang, i KNEW i should have gone.

lmf - i'm so glad to see you blogging! if you can (and don't mind) i'd love to hear a little bit about how you became interested in food and cooking - and please post a picture of where you make the magic happen.

thanks!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

For those of you who know and love Mario Batali (as I do!), meet his father's deli Salumi!!

gallery_16100_3_1100033967.jpg

We love Salumi!! It is only open Tues- Fri from 11 till 3pm. Salumi is located in an area called Pioneer Square, lucky for me I work in the same area. Today was gnocci Tuesday! Their aunt makes the gnocci in the front window of the shop!

gallery_16100_3_1100033988.jpg

Inside is very small and skinny. You line up (many times the line is out the door) and wait to give your order.

gallery_16100_3_1100034027.jpg

Salumi cures all their own meats. You can sign up to take a class in making prociutto too. I think at least one of the PNW eGullet members is doing this.

gallery_16100_3_1100034048.jpg

There is a communal table for sitting and 2 smaller bistro tables, that's it. Many people take theirs to go but I like to wait it out for a seat!

Porchetta sandwich for me and a glass of wine

gallery_16100_3_1100034069.jpg

Cotecchino sandwich for Dayne

gallery_16100_3_1100034091.jpg

the order counter, cashier and line as viewed from the communal table.

gallery_16100_3_1100034115.jpg

The man himself! Armandino Batali (in red) posing for the eGullet site. He is quite a character!

gallery_16100_3_1100034156.jpg

Today they had us sit and eat while they finished our order (I had some salami sliced so I could take it home and enjoy it throughout the week), then settle up as I was leaving. Very honor system. I love Salumi and I know that Seattle has a very fond place in their heart for the Batali's! :wub:

Wendy,

You've kicked off your week with such vitality! Must have been the expresso.

I don't think your first comment " it seems others have an effortless way of writing and I'm just not so sure that is the case with me" holds true once you hit those keys! :biggrin:

I've wondered about the cornflakes with strawberries. They look pretty good. Think I may buy a box now that we can't go strawberry picking.

Looking forward to a delicious tour of Seattle!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wendy,

I've  wondered about the cornflakes with strawberries. They look pretty good. Think I may buy a box now that we can't go strawberry picking.

Looking forward to a delicious tour of Seattle!

Thanks Dejah for the kind words!

Now please be aware that these are SPECIAL K and RED BERRIES. I can't be responsible for any other Kelloggs products, this is the one we eat! :biggrin:

:smile:

I wish we could make the smilies great big, because that is what's on my face in anticipation of your food blog. You know I'm looking forward to this. :wink: It's already delightful.

Have fun!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

reesek, I'll take some photos tonight of our old and dreary kitchen. Really it is an eyesore in the worst way!!

Susan and Russ... THANK YOU! It is obviously very hard to be following your fantastic blog! You guys are really an asset to this site.

Wendy

Dave & Wendy's celebrity blog! What a start.

I am starving. I knew I should not have read this until after dinner. Wow, what fun! I can't wait to see what is next.

Always amazing. Always fun. Thanks for blogging.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Thanks for the mini-photo essay on Salumi. Both your sandwiches look incredible! Do you know what all was on the Cotecchino sandwich? raddichio? and ... Looking forward to the rest of your blog!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the mini-photo essay on Salumi.  Both your sandwiches look incredible!  Do you know what all was on the Cotecchino sandwich?  raddichio? and ...  Looking forward to the rest of your blog!

I should have mentioned a bit more about the sandwiches. Salumi makes them with a swipe of garlic , then radiccio and onions on Dayne's. The cotecchino had the most amazing sutle flavors of vanilla! They say this is a traditional product of Emilia Romagna in Northern Italy. It's only on their menu from Nov until March.

The porchetta also had the garlic swipe. then onions and peppars. It is such a huge and messy sandwich that I end up eating most of it with a fork. And really Dayne had half as it is so big!

I normally get the lamb proscuitto but they were out :sad:

This will be an interesting blog. The photos are great. Keep them coming!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz