• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foams, etc...

On the heels of John Whiting's question regarding the next best thing, I'm curious about your opinions of the "cutting edge" aspects of food service. With restaurants like Bulli and Alinea attempting to process food into something beyond what the senses expect (or possibly desire), what do you think of this avant garde form of food preparation?

I find this experimental and inventive approach stimulating: whether I like a dish or hate it, it gets me to thinking about food in fresh ways. I’m not sure that many of the inventions are going to last very long, and I wouldn’t want to eat them every night, but that’s fine. They expand the experience of eating, and I like that.