• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salted Shrimp Paste...

Gul_Dekar

I was looking for shrimp brain paste a while ago and accidentally bought something else - salted shrimp paste. It's purple in colour and the label says in Chinese "Famous Product of China" :biggrin: . Since I don't want to let it go to waste, I was wondering how does one use it? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thnx!

It is good for......

-stir fried with ton choy (perhaps the most famous dish made with the shrimp paste)

-steamed fatty pork with shrimp paste :biggrin:

-deep fried chicken with some shrimp paste coating. I tried that at a restaurant in Hong Kong, the saltiness of the shrimp paste matched perfectly with the deep fried skin of the chicken.

-stir fried with squid (I don't get this combo, but it is popular)

Like Yuki says, but use it in small quantities - it's pungent. You should first fry it in a little oil in the wok before adding the other ingredients - it brings out the fragrance. Actually, that's a bad way of putting it; it is quite smelly, even without frying it. It changes the fragrance...

it is quite smelly, even without frying it. It changes the fragrance...

That's an understatement! :laugh:

It downright stinks! My non-Chinese hubby likes to eat it, but he says it smells like chicken manure . . . the ammonia smell. He identifies with this odour because his parents used to raise chickens and he had to clean the coops.

When I cook shrimp paste and pork, I always cover the dish with Saran wrap while steaming. The smell doesn't get all throught the house with the steam, but the flavour is there when you eat it.

It is also used as a dipping sauce. I haven't tried that, but it is popular in some restaurants.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It is good for......

-stir fried with ton choy (perhaps the most famous dish made with the shrimp paste)

-steamed fatty pork with shrimp paste :biggrin:

-deep fried chicken with some shrimp paste coating. I tried that at a restaurant in Hong Kong, the saltiness of the shrimp paste matched perfectly with the deep fried skin of the chicken.

-stir fried with squid (I don't get this combo, but it is popular)

Yuki's first dish might just be the most famous & common example.

It's often used with seafood (squid, conch, cuttlefish, scallops, etc.)

I'm used to it as a dipping sauce on the side, but I imagine you could stir fry it in if you're sure everybody will like it.

Either way, don't be liberal with the amount. It is strong, but mighty tasty.

I wouldn't say it stinks though, compared to a few other things I'm used to in Chinese kitchens. Or at least, the smell isn't overpowering. You will only smell it if you're trying to smell it.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It is good for......

I wouldn't say it stinks though, compared to a few other things I'm used to in Chinese kitchens.  Or at least, the smell isn't overpowering.  You will only smell it if you're trying to smell it.

I would never say it stinks...It's those non-converts who say it stinks. :raz::laugh:

However, our bedroom is "opened" to the kitchen. At night, after I have cooked shrimp paste, that's when I'd say "It stinks!" And I don't have to try to smell it. :blink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is a staple in my house, and Dejah is right; it only stinks to non-converts. A Vietnamese friend of mine, who is a chef, refuses to use it in his home because of the smell, but I don't think it is that bad. Certainly not as bad as a durian. I find once it hits the hot pan or food, or is mixed into a marinade (and the jar lid is back on) the "smell" is gone.

One thing I won't do is mix it as is into a bowl of cooked rice to flavour it, which is popular in places like Thailand.

EDIT: If the smell is really too bad, there is a similar Indonesian condiment but I find that it has no flavour and is far too oily.

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

I saw some today at the Asian supermarket that I've been frequently lately, and almost bought a jar. But, b-i-l is semi convert, so..... :hmmm:

there is a similar Indonesian condiment but I find that it has no flavour and is far too oily.

What might that be, please?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Is this stuff the same stuff as Belacan, used in Malaysian food? In which case, sauteed convolous or string beans or okra with shrimp paste and chili (Kangkung Belacan) is a popular preparation.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I saw some today at the Asian supermarket that I've been frequently lately, and almost bought a jar.  But, b-i-l is semi convert, so.....  :hmmm:
there is a similar Indonesian condiment but I find that it has no flavour and is far too oily.

What might that be, please?

OOPS! I meant Philippine, not Indonesian. Anyway, it is just called "Shrimp Paste (normal)" and its ingridients include shrimp, salt, corn oil, vinegar, sugar, onion garlic, and good old sodium benzoate. And yes, that is "onion garlic", not "onion, garlic". The stuff is a bit chunky, brown like blachan, looser consistency than the purple shrimp paste in Chinese cooking, and has has a mild aroma of shrimp and garlic.

-- Jason

In a jar. The brandname, I think, is Zamboanga, which is also the name of a Philippine peninsula. It is processed by the Cathay Pacific Multi-Commodities Corp. I already tried googling "Zamboanga" but nothing was found concerning a brand of shrimp paste.

-- Jason

I had posted a simple recipe of using shrimp paste for steamed pork.

Recipe for steamed pork with shrimp paste

When using shrimp paste as a dipping sauce (e.g. for your ong choy), I recommend that you cook the shrimp paste for this use instead of using it raw. To do that, it's really simple. Scoop 2 tsp of shrimp paste and drop it in a shallow dish or small bowl. Use a pot/pan to heat up 2 tablespoon of oil until it starts fuming. Pour the fuming hot oil on to the shrimp paste. (Be careful of splashes of oil droplets. e.g. Do it in the sink.) This makes it taste better, and more stomach friendly.

Whenever I make Vietnamese curry chicken, I would like to put in 1-2 tsp of shrimp paste along with some lemon grass (finely chopped). This adds taste to the curry.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"