• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"C" is for cookie

jgarner53

Ah, cookies. I bake them frequently.

My go to sources are my grandmother's recipe box and both of Maida Heatter's cookie books.

I especially love chocolate chip. THey either need to be chewy, or really crisp (like the Cook's Illustrated Thin and Crispy ones). Other favorites are a raisin oatmeal cookie of my great grandmother's recipe where you grind oatmeal, raisins and peanuts together. Another (gasp!) favorite is orange slice cookies. Take those sickening orange slices from the grocery candy aisle and cut them into slices and put them into an oatmeal cookie. Then, there's my great Aunt Laura's recipe for rollout cookies that feature nutmeg. Or, Maida Heatter's Sour Cream Pecan Dreams.

Better go put some butter out to soften. Who needs sleep when one needs cookies?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Are you talking about the ones with rosemary and pinenuts?

Swisskaese: Thanks for noticing my request! Specifically, I’m referring to the Tuscan shortbread cookies – not the butter cookies made from pasta frolla or the Umbrian fruit cake also known as torciglione. Any recipes in your files similar to those torciglioni made by Flambar's Pasticceria in Piemonte? And, yes, a pignoli version would be delightful.

Gratefully,

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

I sent an email to a friend of mine in Italy to see if he can find you a recipe. I will let you know when I hear from him.

Take care,

Michelle

• 1 year later...

My favorite cookie hands down is a homemade chocolate chip cookie. I like crispy edges and a chewy middle, fresh out of the oven. I'm also fond of peanut butter cookies & a jumbo raisin cookie that my mom used to make when I was a kid.

As for commercial cookies, I like Le Petite Ecolier Butter biscuits topped with milk chocolate & the Girl Scout's Samoas.

Last year, I made a variety of Christmas cookies including lemon spritz, chocolate spritz, cherry almond, venetian tri-colors, gingerbread, pecan tassies, rum balls (made from vanilla wafers) & chocolate florentines. It was a lot of work but the cookie trays looked so festive!

Edited by Kris (log)