• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"C" is for cookie

jgarner53

We are starting (officially) cookies tonight in school.

What are some of your favorites? Do you like your chocolate chip chewy or crispy? What sells best? Obviously, biscotti and chocolate chip have different purposes (or not) and possibly different markets, but they're both still considered "cookies."

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Hmm....this is a fun topic.

I like my chocolate chip cookies crispy on the edges, but chewy in the middle.

In general, I like crispy cookies, chewy cookies, and cookies with a sandy/melting texture (does that mean I like all cookies? :wub: ).

My favorite cookies are oatmeal raisin cookies, cookies with cinnamon, chocolate chip cookies, cookies with mint, cookies with peanuts or almonds, cookies with caramel.

My favorite commercial cookies are Girl Scout Samoas, Lu Le Bastogne (these are seriously the best cookies!), and Nutter Butters.

Biscotti and madeleines are a waste of calories to me. I think I like cookies with a stronger flavor, or at least cookies with an interesting texture. Snickerdoodles are fun to look at, but I don't like the way they taste because of the extraordinary amount of acid.

yummm....

I generally prefer soft and chewy cookies, my favorites being:

*oatmeal raisin

(my recipe similar to the Quaker Oats box; I like to sub chopped dates for the raisins)

*ginger/molasses cookies

I don't make choc. chip often, but when I do I use an old recipe that calls for grinding oats in a blender and includes grated chocolate and chocolate chunks. Sometimes I'll make peanut butter cookies also.

For Christmas decorating I use the Joy's rich roll sugar cookies.

Other cookies I love are Lebkuchen (soft, spicy, good) and ghoraiybeh (melting arab cookies).

Edited by M. Lucia (log)

ive got three favorites....sadly that i cant have again until my fiance and i get them sugar free as we are both diabetic....

hes a wonderufl cook..wonderful baker and he makes these chocolate chip cookies as well as the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies that i just love..mrs fields move over cuz the competiotion is coming....lol

the other one i like are oatmeal cookies..with or without the raisins

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Do you mean in general or what cookies do we like to bake?

Walkers shortbreads are my favorite. I'd do anything to know their recipe!

Thomas Haas' chocolate sparkle cookies are to die for when their fresh out of the oven.

My experience selling cookies is that people still buy what their most familar with. I'd guess chocolate chip cookies are the no. 1 seller at bakeries and cookie walks.....I think I recently read oreos are the no.1 selling cookie in the US (like by a huge margin too).

I have to add that I'm starting to get excited about making x-mas cookies.......I can't wait!

I can't believe we're already starting to make Christmas cookies. The banquet team just made a few hundred for a group here last week. Trees, gingerbread men, etc. all decorated with colored royal icing. Cute stuff, but who orders Christmas cookies (and other holiday themed desserts) at the begining of November?

Cowboy Cookies (see the Cotton Country Collection-Jr League of Monroe, LA-1972)

Oatmeal, flour, butter, pecans, chocolate chips.

What's not to like. :laugh:

Kinda chewy, kinda crunchy. I might make some today. Thanks for the reminder!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

9 out of 10 times I'll reach for the chocolate chip cookie, but that must be because I'm a notorious chocoholic. The ideal cookie is crispy on the outside and chewy inside. And don't be cheap with the chocolate! :raz:

Lately I've been into black and white cookies. My last fave (treats that I go out of my way to buy) was a white chocolate macademia cherry cookie.

As far as home-made or bakery cookies my favorites are either molasses or peanut butter. Good but less favored are chocolate chip or oatmeal (not a fan of raisins).

One thing I have noticed, however, is an alarming increase in sweetness levels of bakery cookies. I like them to have a nice balance of butter (and/or peanut butter) and sugar. Many cookies, even from otherwise reputable bakeries, seem so sweet they hurt my teeth.

I'm sure I am falling in the minority and the masses of people who buy the cookies want the super-sweetness so the bakers who want the masses to buy the cookies goose the sweetness. So, I'll have to revolt and make them at home more often.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

"A few days ago I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or a stroke. The doctor listed ways of coping with stress: Exercise. Diet. Yoga. Take a walk. I yelled, 'Bake cookies!'" [Maida Heatter's Cookies - p. xi]

During the first week at cooking school, I had “loan” of a very large apartment (owned by an affluent friend of an aunt of mine). Each day when I returned from class, I was greeted by the wonderfully fragrant aroma of freshly baked shortbread. Whence did this aroma emanate? From the kitchen of the shortbread shop – yes, those cookies are the only product they sold, and in such stunning variety – located directly beneath the flat! The redolence filled every room and was nearly sufficient to launch me into a hedonistic reverie. To this day, it seems nearly impossible to imagine any culinary bouquet more sensually comforting, more headily indulgent. Such an incomparable olfactory experience was expressed elegantly by Helen Keller, who wrote that “smell is a potent wizard that transports us across thousands of miles and all the years we have lived…[some] odors, instantaneous and fleeting, cause my heart to dilate joyously or contract with remembered grief. Even as I think of smells, my nose is full of scents that start awake sweet memories of summers gone and ripening fields far away.” I recall having read a National Geographic article many years ago, in which the author began by reminiscing about how the smell of leather reminded him of his grandfather who would take him college football games in Michigan. One inhalation of that scent and the author's memory floodgates burst awash with imagery.

Each day the bakery’s lady-proprietor gave me free samples. Never had to pay a penny, after introducing myself as being an upstairs guest of Mrs. Bird. Before leaving for accommodations nearer the school, I received another gift – her recipe for hazelnut shortbread. Double Yum!! (It may be necessary to fasten me into a straightjacket for restraint from eating too many of them with butterscoth-ripple ice cream!) I baked a batch several years later (in November, 1991) for the first dessert banquet I created unassisted (22 distinct items). Another of my choice flavors for shortbread is candied ginger – it adds a special touch and is an ingredient often used in premium marmalades and other Scottish baked goods.

Some neurobiologists suspect that endorphins and other chemicals control our hunger for certain kinds of foods – for example, according to this course of thinking, when we eat sweets we essentially flood our bodies with endorphins and feel tranquil. When people are under stress, and their need for endorphins peaks, they may crave a tray of cookies. Biochemist Judith Wurtman published highly controversial findings about how food can affect our moods. She concluded that there are “carbohydrate cravers,” who in reality are trying to raise their level of serotonin.

Genuine Scottish shortbread is a preeminent celebration of top-grade butter – which, besides unsurpassed flavor, serves to wet the flour gluten just enough so that the shortbread will hold together and not crumble apart. This is a critical component. I believe shortbread is made in its most authentically basic form using only cold unsalted butter, unbleached flour, and sugar (preferably crystalline fructose; but if using confectioners’ sugar remember that it has half the sweetening index of granualted sugar and yields a more tender & buttery product; superfine granulated sugar contributes to a sweeter finish and tends to add an enhanced “caramelized” flavor as a bonus). And monitor the oven temperature accurately! Moreover, be kind to your shortbread: Never bake it above 275°F.

In her country home, my younger sister bakes lovely shortbread – delicate, not browned, lovely texture. As for "Walker's of Scotland Shortbread," she & her husband agree with me: you may as well eat the box, because it tastes like cardboard! Even "Nabisco Lorna Doone" has a finer texture. In the late 1970s, I could buy "McVities Royal Scots" (are they still made?). They were rich & buttery with a distinctive flavor. Some people are partial to those Danish shortbreads, given worldwide in decorative tins during end-of-the-year Holidays. If you can obtain "Ashbourne Clotted Cream" shortbread from Devon, then your purchase is quite enviable. Now that's a premium commercial biscuit!

Ladyyoung98 mentioned her affection for chocolate-macadamia cookies; I, too, rate these as one of my favorites – my method uses dark, milk, and white chocolate pieces. Beccaboo indicated a partiality for “spicy cookies: Lebkuchen, [Aachener] Printen, Pfeffernusse. You have cultured taste! And surely we must likewise include Speculaas. Every December, I turn out a batch of chocolate lebkuchen; and, as a delectable fringe benefit in this post, I offer my recipe for the third cookie in that trinity, Peppernuts:

1/3 cup light molasses; 5½ oz. butter; 1 beaten egg; 2 cups flour; 1/3 cup granulated sugar; ½ tsp baking soda; 1 tsp each ground cinnamon & ginger; ¼ tsp each allspice & nutmeg; 1/8-1/4 tsp black pepper; pinch salt.

Heat molasses w/ butter, stirring until butter melts; allow to cool. Stir in beaten egg. Thoroughly mix together the dry ingredients; add gradually, using your hands to blend thoroughly. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. Roll in fruit sugar while still warm.

Are my readers familiar with a plain sugar cookie called Berlinerkranser? Fundamental ingredients: sugar, butter, flour, eggs, and vanilla. It’s a very suitable candidate for a cookie press. The Germans also bake very light sugar cookies known as Zuckerplätzchen. Their shortbread repertoire includes Vanillekipferl, often shaped as crescents.

The BBC Radio 4 programme, Questions, Questions devised a definitive biscuit alphabet:

Arrowroot Biscuit

Bourbon

Custard Cream

Dixie Crackers

Excursion

Filbert Biscuits

Ginger Nuts

Hobnob

Iced Gem

Jammy Dodger

Kent Creams

Lincoln Creams

Macaroons

Nice

Opera Wafers

Petticoat Tails

Queen Drops

Rataffia

Savoy

Traveller

Union Biscuits

Victorias

Waverley Shortbread

eXcursion Biscuit

Yarrow Biscuits

Zella Wafers

Meanwhile, I must find a recipe for Torciglioni (Tuscan Shortbread). Anyone have a coherent recipe to share?

Yours, as a faithful cookie muncher;

Lawrence

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Are you talking about the ones with rosemary and pinenuts?

Swisskaese: Thanks for noticing my request! Specifically, I’m referring to the Tuscan shortbread cookies – not the butter cookies made from pasta frolla or the Umbrian fruit cake also known as torciglione. Any recipes in your files similar to those torciglioni made by Flambar's Pasticceria in Piemonte? And, yes, a pignoli version would be delightful.

Gratefully,

Lawrence

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

My favorite bakery-type cookies are my homemade black & whites. They have just the right balance of sweetness.

My husband's favorite cookies are Mallomars. I've attempted to make something similar at home using nightscotsman's marshmallow recipe. I cut small circles of marshmallow, place them on a Nilla wafer and top the whole thing with tempered chocolate. I have to admit that they are really close to the real thing.

Other cookies we enjoy are classic chocolate chip, but I like to make them really oversized with chunks of chocolate. This way I can say that I've only had one!

My other favorite is the Fantastic Fudgewich from Nancy Baggett's All American Cookie Book. I also make her Iced Cranberry-White Chocolate Drop Cookies. They are perhaps the easiest cookies I've ever made and are perfect for Thanksgiving.

There are probably a zillion other cookies that I love, but can't think of them right now. There is almost nothing better than a home baked cookie!

I too am going to use nightscotsman's marshmallow recipe this year! Nightscotsman: influencing cookie bakers across the country.

I'm going to do pumpkin marshmallows, sandwiched between two thin crispy rum-ginger cookies, and dipped in dark chocolate. The other variation will be cranberry-orange marshmallows, sandwiched between two thin hazelnut crisps, again dipped in dark chocolate.

A favorite from previous years is a white chocolate cookie with a peppermint ganache, dipped in white chocolate. Can you tell I like sandwich cookies?

I've recently purchase Maida Haetter's Great Book of Cookies, and RLB's Christmas Cookies, so I need to peruse them for more inspiration.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Personally, I like peanut butter and our new baker (a true gift from God) makes these lemon almond biscotti that should come with a complimentary cigarette they're so good. I'm around our stuff so much that most of it usually doesn't sound good, but I couldn't keep away from those. I've never been much of a biscotti guy -- too often they're baked so long they're more like croutons -- but his are the absolute best. Just the right crispness. You don't even need coffee to dunk them in.

Sales-wise, chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar and linzer are our best sellers. In that order.

Edited by FlourPower (log)

I love all cookies, but only homemade. I have tried all sorts of mass produced "gourmet" cookies and I just can't stand them, especially shortbread. I don't bake cookies very often (time constraints) but when the SO asks for them the standards are: chocolate chip, oatmeal with nuts, raisans or chocolate, ginger, peanut butter, sugar etc. Whatever we're in the mood for. I prefer them crispy rather than chewy, but hey, whoever says no to a homemade cookie?? :hmmm:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

My all-time favourites would be the classic chocolate ship (slightly crisp on the edges, soft in the middle), and chocolate crinkles. The two cookies can take me instantly back to the carefree days of my childhood, and both get made in quantity during the holiday season.

Two newer favourites are a crystallised ginger cookie, and a cranberry-lemon iced drop.

Are there really any terrible cookies out there?

Yes there are! A badly-made cookie. Like one that's too dry or dense. Case in point: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies from one of Emeril's cookbooks. Might as well be a hockey puck.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My favorites,,,hmmm,,,

Those no bake chocolate drop ones made with oats - instant gratification :biggrin:

Those ahh little lacey oat ones sandwiched with semi-sweet chocolate.

The cut-out sugar cookie recipe that is made with buttermilk & they spread but who cares because they are so dang good.

Molasses crinkles (without the spices) from the old red & white Betty Crocker cookbook. Crispy outside almost liquid inside - you gotta be kidding-good!

Ummm, lemon bars.

Ummm, I think my all time favorite cookie is the one we always called apricot kolachys - where the dough is mostly cream cheese, flour & butter and roll it out & cut squares & fill with apricot preserves and fold two corners together - course I've made 'em in a crescent shape too - sprinkle with 10x sugar - oh my total gosh. Love those!!!

If you make rice krispie treats with butter and melt not boil the marshmallows add a squirt of vanilla - jack up the ratio of marshmallow to rice krispie a bit too - to die for! And they are a blast to model with too.

Peanut butter peanut butter peanut butter

Oh yah, last but not least chocolate pin wheels - refrigerator cookies y'know?!!

:smile:

PS. Cookie dough - any & all of it!! :laugh:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Molasses crinkles (without the spices) from the old red & white Betty Crocker cookbook

I have my grandmother's 1950 edition of this cookbook, and I love these cookies, as well as the molasses oatmeal ones (but without the raisins).

I will play now, as when I typed in this thread post, I was in a hurry and had to get to class (to bake florentines, tuiles, and macaroons, which I'd always thought were just coconut, but have sinced learned are not). Not a big fan of the French macaroon either -- too sweet -- which is my complaint about meringue-based desserts in general.

I love a great homemade cookie and rarely, if ever, buy a commercial or even a bakery cookie. Chocolate chip has to be chewy (warm is even better!) with no nuts. Oatmeal can sometimes get away with raisins, but must also be chewy, not crisp. Brownies, ditto - chewy.

I am, on general principal, opposed to the puffy or cakey cookie. Crispy has its place in sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies, and I like shortbread that has a bit of a snap to it before your teeth sink into the buttery heaven.

When I was growing up, one of my favorite cookie treats were VandeKamp's bakery's seasonal sugar cookies (pumpkins at Halloween, hearts for Valentine's). They were more expensive than our usual diet of Flaky Flix, Circus Animals, and Gingersnaps (the animal-shaped kind that when you pressed between your palms, and made a wish, and if it broke into exactly three pieces, your wish would come true) and so a real treat. They were buttery and crisp, with colored sugar sparkling on top.

I don't know if rugelach count in the cookie category, but they're a more recent favorite of mine. One of my classmates complimented me last night that mine were the best she'd ever had. :blush:

I have chocolate chip dough in the fridge, right now, chilling. My recipe (courtesy of Alton Brown's chocolate chip cookie show) uses melted butter, so it must sit before being scooped and baked. I've been thinking about them all afternoon. :wub:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries