• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-related quirks and neuroses

Mooshmouse

Well, maybe not liver with peanut butter, but if I did, the peanut butter would have to be pleasantly melted over the top of the liver and dripping softly down the sides.  And the liver couldn't be too rare, because red and brown are sort of an icky color combination.  And no jam, no mustard, and heaven forfend, no catsup.  I know, bacon!  A little bacon would be great, but only very crispy smoky bacon, cut into tiny lardons, and only on the diagonal.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Not exactly that you describe, but Liverwurst goes incredibly well with peanut butter, and bacon along with a nice sharp cheddar, a thick slice of onion, and some spicey brown mustard are great on that sandwhich as well.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

My requirement when making sandwiches with deli meat is that mustard has to be spread on both pieces of bread so there's adequate coverage.

Additionally, on the rare occasions I eat waffles, there must be enough syrup so there's some in every square. :wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

...You line up the bread so the slices match...

I am the same way. I am in shock when my husband mismatches the slices. You have to make a sandwich out of consecutive slices, with the bread facing in the same direction as they were in the loaf. Isn't that obvious? :blink:

when i eat mashed potatoes i drown them in gravy and then whip them with my fork so the gravy is homogeonized.  potato-gravy soup, mmm! :biggrin: oh and i don't do it anymore but i used to fill in every single little square on my waffles with maple syrup :raz: my dad loved that as he was waiting for the syrup!

When I was a kid, I went through phases of hating mashed potatoes and hating rice. When I worked my way back to eating them again, it was only if every grain of rice was covered in gravy, and every bit of potato drowned in the stuff. I'm sure I was a pleasure to have at the dinner table. :unsure:

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Yup, syrup in every waffle square is a requirement.

As I get older though, I find that I have more of a tendency to dip foods. Like a plain hot dog, just dipped in mustard at each bite. Grilled cheese dipped in marinara. Cookies and milk.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Whenever I order anything wrapped--wraps, gyros, burritos--I always eat the insides with a fork first and then eat the outside tortilla, pita bread, etc. with my hands. I never just take a bit into the thing, wrap and filling! Just wouldn't be the same. :blink:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Whenever I order anything wrapped--wraps, gyros, burritos--I always eat the insides with a fork first and then eat the outside tortilla, pita bread, etc. with my hands. I never just take a bite into the thing, wrap and filling! Just wouldn't be the same.  :blink:

Yep, that's how ya gotta do it, alright. I also drive waitresses nuts. They can't figure out why I order the "low carb" breakfast and the put jam on my sausages! (I figure ther are fewer carbs in two T. of jelly or jam than in 2 slices of toast and potatoes - sob-) Also, if I'm ordering breakfast out, it's usually about 2 p.m. and my blood sugar has taken a dive! :wacko:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No, no - you *dip* the waffles into the syrup. The syrup *must* be on the side. Your waffles would get mushy otherwise!

And no bloody ketchup on hot dogs. Dog, bun, mustard... that's *it*.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Yup, syrup in every waffle square is a requirement.

As I get older though, I find that I have more of a tendency to dip foods. Like a plain hot dog, just dipped in mustard at each bite. Grilled cheese dipped in marinara. Cookies and milk.

Not only does there have to be syrup in every waffle square, but the butter has to melt before you add the syrup. That way, you get that luscious taste of buttery, syrupy goodness. And, of course, eaten quickly enough so that your waffles don't get soggy.

Absolutely 100% with you on the dipping. I must be regressing, as that's my 3-year-old son's favourite way of eating sliced veggies in dressing, toast in honey, you name it. Nothing like cookies dipped in milk... except when you accidentally hold the cookie in too long and have to fish it out of the bottom of your glass with a spoon. :hmmm:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

hahah yes, i like to scrape off the filling from four or five oreos and eat it separately, then crunch through the cookies with some milk. or separate the cookies, leaving all the cream on one side, and double-stack em. try this with duoble stuf oreos, woah... :blink:

While I have no quirks that I know of, my family and wifes family are a different thing altogether. My brother smells everything before he eats it. This includes raw vegetables, bagels, cereal (which he eats dry with a glass of milk on the side, but never in the cereal itself)..anything at all. When we were kids we had the plates with the sections in them. He still eats as if all his food were still on one of those plates. No two items are allowed to touch each other. This of course is contrasted by my father, who stirs all food on the plate into a conglomerate, proudly stating to anyone who cocks an eye that it is all ending up in the same place anyway. I still have visions of our usual Monday dinner, meatloaf mashed potatoes and mushy peas in a glopping heap on his plate.

My wife only eats ice cream if it has been stirred in the bowl until it becomes soup.

When my SIL stays overnight, I usually make challah french toast the next morning (her favorite) She props one end of the plate up ala Peter Luger style so that the syrup doesn't touch the french toast and then dips each bite into the syrup separately. Should the syrup inadvertently touch the waiting french toast pieces, she gives it to the dog.

Glad I'm normal

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I can't enjoy sauerkraut unless it's been cooked for hours with caraway seeds and chopped garlic.

Mustard goes on the side.

And a dill pickle spear.

Any bowl of Indian curry has to have a blob of lime relish at twelve o'clock, and a blob of chutney at three o'clock.

(I started reading this thread thinking, "I have no food quirks".) :smile:

Edited for gross spelling errors!

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

She props one end of the plate up  ala Peter Luger style so that the syrup doesn't touch the french toast and then dips each bite into the syrup separately. Should the syrup inadvertently touch the waiting french toast pieces, she gives it to the dog.

Has she noticed the dog bumping her elbow when she's eating? :laugh:

We used to bite off all the chocolate surfaces on a 3 Musketeers bar, and then gobble the gooey nougat center which took FOREVER to melt completely. But alas, that was back in the '50's, when they still used real egg yolk in the nougat. The modern version just doesn't cut it and hasn't for years!

Malted milk balls was the same thing. If you did it just right, you could get the chocolate coating off and leave the crunchy malted center intact. But alas, they don't make them like they used to in the '50's anymore either.

Lik-a-Maid packets were always meant to be filled with water, thus dissolving and allowing swallowing the slightly bitter flavored water, before then enjoying the sugary wet dredges!

Government did a study on how to layer a hamburger and that consisted of mustard and onions on the bottom, catsup and pickles on top. As I remember, McDonald's used that method when they were first opening, alas, back in the '50's again. Haven't ate there in years, so don't have a clue how they're doing it these days.

doc

And sitting here eating breakfast . . .

. . . which I hardly ever do, but the waffle/syrup discussion was getting to me so I made french toast out the rest of a boule I baked over the weekend because I don't have a waffle iron . . . mmmmmmm.

I looked at my plate. On my plate are thick chunks of bananas.

I won't eat bananas unless they are still partially green and firm. I'll bake with them, but I can barely gag down a fully ripened banana.

And when I was a kid, I know I drove them all nuts by not eating. What kid turns down cookie bribes just not to eat? :laugh: Then, I would only eat either the white or the yolk of the egg. Kinda like your potato/rice thing, patti, it just switched on me all the time. And only "rabbit food," not all tossed together in a salad. Of course now salalds are one of my favorite things -- as long as you don't toss the croutons in there. :wink:

My son could never decide what condiments he wanted on his sandwiches -- mayo? mustard? Which kind of cheese? So I'd do halfsies for him. And he'd eat it all. Last time I was up there on a visit and making sandwiches for all for lunch -- he looked at me and said "Would you?" So I did. I've now been branded by my lovely DIL as the official reason he still can't decide on the condiments. :laugh: But now he makes his own sandwiches.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Lik-a-Maid packets were always meant to be filled with water, thus dissolving and allowing swallowing the slightly bitter flavored water, before then enjoying the sugary wet dredges!

Doc, while I don't doubt that it's more fun to Lik-a-Maid, I think the product was Lik-em-Aid! :raz:

We used to bite off all the chocolate surfaces on a 3 Musketeers bar, and then gobble the gooey nougat center which took FOREVER to melt completely.  But alas, that was back in the '50's, when they still used real egg yolk in the nougat.  The modern version just doesn't cut it and hasn't for years!

Malted milk balls was the same thing.  If you did it just right, you could get the chocolate coating off and leave the crunchy malted center intact.  But alas, they don't make them like they used to in the '50's anymore either.

Government did a study on how to layer a hamburger and that consisted of mustard and onions on the bottom, catsup and pickles on top.  As I remember, McDonald's used that method when they were first opening, alas, back in the '50's again.  Haven't ate there in years, so don't have a clue how they're doing it these days.

doc

And I buy a box of the malted milk balls in the express hope that I will get at least one chewy one in each batch. Rarely happens, but I love when it does. I've gone as far as to try to recreate them, by removing a bit of chocolate, then letting them sit, hoping they would absorb the moisure in the air. Haven't had satisfactory results though....

And McDonalds basically piles eveything on top of the patty. Unless you have something with more than one cheese slice, then you have a cheese slice between the meat and the bottom bun. The cheese always touches the meat. The top bun is dressed sauces first, then onions, tomato and then lettuce. The top bun is inverted on top of the meat patty, which was already on the bottom half of the bun.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

You waffle people are forgetting one very important thing: each square should be graced with a crumble of bacon, then doused with syrup. ~heavenly~

A sandwich must be sliced diagonally, not cut in half. Totally throws off the proportion of filling to bread.

A pizza must be made with careful precision. Each topping is laid out in careful balance, so that a bite from one side of the pizza would taste the same as a bite from any other part of the pizza. It drives my husband crazy to watch me build a pie.

I hate drinking cold water. When I grab a bottle of water from the fridge, it must sit out until it has reached room temperature. Oddly enough, I don't like bottles of water that are already room temperature. It must be refrigerated, then allowed to warm up. :wacko: Even I don't get that one.

And yes, curlywurlyfi, I always cut my carrots into matchsticks, and am very upset if my husband tries to take the shortcut 'coin' method.