• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-related quirks and neuroses

Mooshmouse

I officially succumbed to all the waffle talk and made them this morning for myself, my son and my Mom. All prepped just so. :rolleyes:

A pizza must be made with careful precision.  Each topping is laid out in careful balance, so that a bite from one side of the pizza would taste the same as a bite from any other part of the pizza.  It drives my husband crazy to watch me build a pie.

I hate drinking cold water.  When I grab a bottle of water from the fridge, it must sit out until it has reached room temperature.  Oddly enough, I don't like bottles of water that are already room temperature.  It must be refrigerated, then allowed to warm up.  :wacko:  Even I don't get that one.

It's horrible to bite into a piece of pizza and get nothing but a gap in the topping. People, please. Build 'em good like s'kat does!

And I'm the absolute opposite of you when it comes to water. It has to be as cold as cold can be before I drink it. If a pitcher of water has just been put in the fridge and isn't quite cold enough yet, then I'll drop a couple of ice cubes in it. I even put ice cubes in my water bottle so I don't get a slug of lukewarm water when I'm in the middle of a workout.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Now ya got me wondering if it was a Freudian slip or just 'cause it was 45 years ago!  :)

doc

Both Lik-a-Maid and Lik-em-Aid get hits on Google, but further investigation shows that I'm not right, either. It's Lik-m-Aid!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Now ya got me wondering if it was a Freudian slip or just 'cause it was 45 years ago!  :)

doc

Both Lik-a-Maid and Lik-em-Aid get hits on Google, but further investigation shows that I'm not right, either. It's Lik-m-Aid!

So, if you remember Lik-m-aid too, then it must be those pesky 45 years playing tricks with our memory. But then again notice....the corrected spelling spells out "maid"!! In any event, they was good too wasn't they! :)

doc

The only way to eat Lik-m-Aid (or as I knew it, Fun Dip) was to eat as much of each individual flavor as you could get on the sugar baton, then carefully peel apart the dividers and stir the remainders together. And if you were really good, you could get all of the powder with one of the sticks, make your tongue bleed in the process, and still have another sugar stick leftover.

Pancakes and waffles don't get syrup, only butter. French toast, on the other hand, gets both.

When I was in about third grade, and taking ice skating lessons (ahh, what Dorothy Hamill did for skating rinks!), we'd get Abba Zabba bars out of the vending machine and take them into the bathroom to warm them up under the air-blowing hand dryers.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

[quote=deltadoc,Nov 10 2004, 06:56

Government did a study on how to layer a hamburger and that consisted of mustard and onions on the bottom, catsup and pickles on top. As I remember, McDonald's used that method when they were first opening, alas, back in the '50's again. Haven't ate there in years, so don't have a clue how they're doing it these days.

doc

When I was in high school (early 60's) I worked at McDonald's #2 and the order was meat, grilled onions, pickles, mustard and catsup. For a cheeseburger, insert cheese between meat and onions.

From Dixon, Wyoming

I won't eat bananas unless they are still partially green and firm. I'll bake with them, but I can barely gag down a fully ripened banana.

It makes me feel so good to know that I'm not alone in this. :smile:

I hate ripe, mushy bananas (although they're good in cakes :hmmm: ).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I was really wracking my mind to try to come up with what I have in this category, because I know I hace a few. The only one really popping up right now is one I haven't indulged in a long time (mainly because I haven't eaten pasta in that time) but here it goes:

I will not eat spaghetti that is served on the table with sauce. The noodles have to be in one bowl, and the sauce in another, and I must be able to combine them in proper proportions on my plate, sauce on top of spaghetti, then mix it all together. If it arrives all mixed up in one bowl it is a no go.

At restaurants where the sauce arrives on top of the pasta that is fine, as long as it is not already swirled together.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 years later...
I won't eat bananas unless they are still partially green and firm. I'll bake with them, but I can barely gag down a fully ripened banana.

Me three. I like bananas when they've just lost their green. Anything much more than that and I'll wait until they're ripened, then toss them into the freezer for smoothies or baking.

Apples too. If I take a bite into an apple and find it the least bit mealy, then that'll be my last bite. They've gotta be crisp or I'll forego them completely.

Got any (recent) idiosyncracies to add?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Me three. I like bananas when they've just lost their green. Anything much more than that and I'll wait until they're ripened, then toss them into the freezer for smoothies or baking.

Apples too. If I take a bite into an apple and find it the least bit mealy, then that'll be my last bite. They've gotta be crisp or I'll forego them completely.

Got any (recent) idiosyncracies to add?

We have the perfect situation at our house, banana-wise.

GF likes bananas just barey ripened, I prefer them fully ripe, and if any of the bunch ever happen to have escaped consumption past that stage, we both like banana bread!

SB :wink:

Edited by srhcb (log)

favorite sunday breakfast

softboiled egg

1 piece of toast, buttered

a couple of slices of Gouda

1 glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

The egg must be boiled to perfection, ofcourse, and must be warm, not lukewarm or hot, but warm. The toast must be hot so the butter melts instantly when I spread it. Then thin slices of cheese go on half of the piece of toast. Alternating spoonfuls of egg (sprinkled with fleur the sel) with bites of plain toast and toast with cheese.

Whenever I have bread with anything, soup for example, it doesn't come into play until the very end. I don't dip the bread into the fresh soup.

I always put the bread aside, eath the soup until the last bits, then use the bread to get the last bits and eat the rest of it by itself, with coffee or tea.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Well...isn't the correct answer to this question "It doesn't taste as good unless..."

Isn't the correct answer....unless....

"Mom makes it"?

Now my mother was a terrible cook...but I still think this is the correct answer to this question.  :wink:

I agree....Moms do something to foods, I can cook exactly the same recipe and it NEVER tastes like Moms...Could never understand it :wacko:

I couldn't really think of anything really quirky other than my food must be piping hot, I can't stand it when my food is warm or just hot...especially soup!

Also when I eat I have to get a piece of everything on my fork ie meat. potato veggie

whereas my girlfriend eats her least favourite food first and saves the best for last and never combines! :biggrin:

Two quirks:

First, the breakfast one. In a bowl: one layer of sliced bananas, a few spoonfuls of yogurt, one layer of thawed berries, one sprinkling of granola. No other order of layers will do. :rolleyes:

And I'll only eat yogurt with a certain kind of spoon. (In my defense, it's an extremely well-designed spoon which makes all other spoons I've encountered seem pathetic.) (I'm sure this is also considered an insanity defense...) :biggrin:

At least I know I'm in good company! :raz:

And I'll only eat yogurt with a certain kind of spoon. (In my defense, it's an extremely well-designed spoon which makes all other spoons I've encountered seem pathetic.) (I'm sure this is also considered an insanity defense...)  :biggrin:

Any more info, photos, etc. on this spoon? If it's such a great device we all must have one.

Well...isn't the correct answer to this question "It doesn't taste as good unless..."

Isn't the correct answer....unless....

"Mom makes it"?

Now my mother was a terrible cook...but I still think this is the correct answer to this question.  :wink:

I agree....Moms do something to foods, I can cook exactly the same recipe and it NEVER tastes like Moms...Could never understand it :wacko:

It's the love.

Even when I miss, my son behaves as if it is the best thing he has ever put in his mouth.

I must make the tuna sandwich myself. Hellman's or Best Foods only. Nothing else. Must be eaten with potato chips. No chips, no tuna sandwich.

This is only the beginning...and I do not consider myself a fussy eater.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

Rehovot - Cutlery is a very personal thing.

I have a little fork that brought with me to University from home. It's just a regular, small fork but damn it all, it's my fork! :biggrin:

I also insist on eating most desserts with a teaspoon. I say it makes them last longer but that not true, I could just take smaller bits with a regular spoon but wheres the fun in that?

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Rehovot - Cutlery is a very personal thing.

I have a little fork that brought with me to University from home. It's just a regular, small fork but damn it all, it's my fork! :biggrin:

I also insist on eating most desserts with a teaspoon. I say it makes them last longer but that not true, I could just take smaller bits with a regular spoon but wheres the fun in that?

hehe, I do the same thing with soup! I don't care for soup spoons at all.

Me too! Woe betide the housemate who moves my porridge spoon from home

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I'm on the special-spoon bandwagon. I can enjoy grapefruit to its fullest only with my devoted spoon, one of the few pieces of silverware I have.

It's not a true grapefruit-spoon, which I think must have a serrated edge, but it's narrow and most importantly, it's DEEP, which allows you to capture more juice in each bite. Perfect!

Great poem sig, Lexy.

I am particular in the order of building things. A burger, for instance, can only be built in the following order:

meat>cheese>condiments(ketchup, little mustard, sometimes sour cream)> veggies

(all in between the bun)

If it is in any other order, I will deconstruct it, and reassemble it properly, thank you. Some places are good though, and build it EXACTLY opposite, so I just flip it over and eat it upside-down. I guess I also eat tacos this way (well, build them that way. I don't flip them upside down.)

For deli sandwiches, the cheese goes on the bottom. everything else is the same. Don't know why.

Ohhh, and waffles must have butter in every little hole, but then should be topped with powdered sugar.

I am also a food sniffer. Usually because it smells good!

How do you serve gumbo at your house? Do you put the gumbo in your bowl first then add the rice, as all feeling hearts and civilized people certainly do, or do you put your rice first and then pour gumbo over it, like those uncouth in-laws do it? It doesn't much affect the taste, but this has been the subject of disagreement between my nieces and their husbands.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.