• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1975 Bordeaux . . .

DCatty

My wife and I are beginner wine-lovers (taking classes, reading books, learning and drinking as much as we can). At a silent auction a few weeks ago, we came across a collection of 3 or 4 bottles of 1975 Bordeaux. There were three first growths (Latour, Lafite, and Mouton) and one second growth. Anyway, we bid and lost. But I was excited because (1) I was born in 1975, and thought this would be a perfect way to celebrate; and (2) we have not had much luck with bordeaux yet, mostly because we typically can't afford stuff with any real age on it.

So, for my upcoming 30th birthday, I am thinking about splurging for a 30 year old bottle of bordeaux. So my questions: What would you buy if you were me? My reading tells me it was a quite good (if not great) vintage. Any one bottle in particular I should look for? And importantly, how do I find my bottle? What are the best websites? What should I expect to pay? Thanks a lot, and I will make sure to let you all know how it turns out!

Edited by DCatty (log)
Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

A good place to start would be a vintage chart like this one. You could then use Wine Searcher to see who is selling what. You also may want to consider purchasing a membership, or getting a free trial membership, at Robert Parker Online to find out more about specific producers.

Buying older wines can be a bit tricky - we've been pretty fortunate with Marin Wine Cellar, and have had some luck with Premier Cru. It's far more important to find a bottle that has been stored well than one that is a good deal.

allison

Sage advice from Ms. Melkor. With older wines, provenance is everything, and a reputable retailer might present a better risk profile than auction buying, especially if you're looking at a single bottle. I've lived outside the US for a long time, so my knowledge is dated, but I've had good luck with Premier Cru (No. Cal), K&L (No. Cal), 20/20 (So. Cal - REALLY expensive), Woodland Hills (So. Cal), and Berry Bros. (UK) in the past. Zachy's in Scarsdale has a good reputation; in the DC area, I've heard good things about Calvert & Woodley.

In terms of specific wines:

Lafite: 6 bottles purchased on release, at its best, very fine, but a lot of variability from bottle to bottle.

Petrus: 2 auction bottles, very deep, weighty and sweet, but a bit one-dimensional (all power, no finesse).

Trotanoy: 4 bottles purchased at retail in the 80's, really lovely, but I wonder if it has held up (my last bottle consumed in 1998).

Leoville Barton: 12 bottles purchased on release, classic claret, structure likely to outlast the fruit.

La Mission and Latour Haut Brion: 6 bottle each purchased on release, wow. I have a strong bias toward older Graves; your mileage may vary. Some of the La Missions do show a bit of volatile acidity creeping in. The Latour HB's aren't mature yet but are still delicious.

Best of luck with your search.

Looked in the cellar and thought of a couple more:

Pichon Lalande: probably seen its best days, but if well kept, still lovely

Palmer: had not opened one in years, still pretty nice, but the acidity is a little high

Excellent topic :smile:

I turn 30 about a month after you and would love to get a bottle or two as a gift. There are a few people who won't get the hints I plan to drop unless I give them specific information.

Let me know where you end up buying it in DC. I may have to join you in your purchases.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have had good results with Calvert Woodley (mentioned above) and with MacArthur Beverages both in the DC area. Another great source for good provenance wines is John Hart Fine Wines in Chicago. They have a comprehensive website with inventory & prices.

Excellent topic :smile:

I turn 30 about a month after you and would love to get a bottle or two as a gift.  There are a few people who won't get the hints I plan to drop unless I give them specific information.

Let me know where you end up buying it in DC.  I may have to join you in your purchases.

I will, and thanks to everyone for the great advice! Keep it coming! I will let you all know how it goes....

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!