• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Rabbit

wcmckinney

I was at a local watering hole last week with a buddy and we both tried a milk stout out of the Greensboro area called Duck Rabbit. it was rather good and full bodied, and like it says in the title: milky.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this beer, I think it is only available on tap right now?

I liked that it was dark but also had a bright and clean taste to it. Is this something beer experts frown upon, namely a stout should be good and heavy or is it ok for it to taste "light."

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Is this something beer experts frown upon, namely a stout should be good and heavy or is it ok for it to taste "light."

Stouts, particularly modern stouts, don't have to be molasses. Pub stouts like Guinness and Murphy's are often referred to as "session" stouts, because they're not so heavy and therefore you can keep drinking them throughout the night. To some extent, I think that the idea that stouts are heavy (or especially strong) beers is a psychological one, partially from the fact that they're dark and opaque, and partially from the fact that most commerical beers in America are so light and weak.

Is Duck Rabbit (I'm reminded of the Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon Duck Rabbit Duck; I can't remember if it's the one with "Wabbit season... Duck season!" or "Well I say he DOES have to shoot me now... SO SHOOT ME NOW! (blam!) You're DITHPICABLE!") local to Greensboro? I've had imported milk stout (Mackeson's XXX), and made my own, but haven't ever seen any from the local microbreweries and pubs here in the SF Bay area.

"I would kill everyone in this forum for a drop of sweet beer." - Homer Simpson (adapted)

I was at a local watering hole last week with a buddy and we both tried a milk stout out of the Greensboro area called Duck Rabbit.  it was rather good and full bodied, and like it says in the title:  milky. 

I was wondering if anyone else had tried this beer, I think it is only available on tap right now?

I liked that it was dark but also had a bright and clean taste to it.  Is this something beer experts frown upon, namely a stout should be good and heavy or is it ok for it to taste "light."

I know the Duck-Rabbit line very well. It is actually brewed in Farmville, which is right next to Greenville (not Greensboro), NC. They specialize in dark beers and, in addition to the Milk Stout, also brew a Porter (which I think is their best beer), an Amber Ale and a Brown Ale.

Only recently introduced, all of the beers are available in bottles as well as on tap but the distribution is very limited - basically in select markets in North Carolina. Their label has a picture on it which, depending on how you view it, is either a duck or a rabbit.

Technically, milk stout is a sweet stout, with the sweetness derived from the addition of lactose. The concept is to produce a medium to full-bodied creamy consistency that is somewhat akin to a sweetened espresso. Mackeson's is another example of this style. Guiness, by comparison, is a dry stout, which will taste bitter, rather than sweet.

Here is their website:

Duck-Rabbit craft brewery

Thanks for the correction on which town D-R beer comes from...should have sourced my post better I guess. Isn't Durguey's beer also made in Farmville, or used to be made in Farmville? Moreover, isn't Greene county technically a dry county?

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Thanks for the correction on which town D-R beer comes from...should have sourced my post better I guess.  Isn't Durguey's beer also made in Farmville, or used to be made in Farmville?  Moreover, isn't Greene county technically a dry county?

I don't know about Greene County, but I do know that you can't buy Duck-Rabbit at the brewery, which may be due to county regulations.

The brewery is the same, however. They used to brew Dergy's under contract for Williamsville Brewery. Now, they are brewing for themselves. They are one of the bright stars of the NC craft brewing scene and I hope they are successful.