• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coq au vin in NYC

jgould

best I ever had was at Artisanal a couple or few years ago. initially it was "on the menu", then only a "plat du jour" sunday dinner, then

disappeared! was a combination of both dark & white meat, i.e., i believe a breast and a leg in an amazing, very rich, very reduced, red wine sauce. since then, i have had coq au vin everywhere it is on the menu; but, never matching Artisanal.

mission: where is either the best or something that rivals Artisanal's rendition. btw, was never crazy about any of t. brennan's 3, now 2, restaurants; but this dish made me forget the prices and the service.

Realizing it sounds a little crazy, Ducasse does, I think in three courses, a coq au vin. It's actually a Delouvrier specialty. Haven't had it myself, have heard about it from some who've eaten it and seen pics in Delouvrier's book. Sounds like something not to be missed. You have to order it a couple of days in advance.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Realizing it sounds a little crazy, Ducasse does, I think in three courses, a coq au vin.  It's actually a Delouvrier specialty.  Haven't had it myself, have heard about it from some who've eaten it and seen pics in Delouvrier's book.  Sounds like something not to be missed.  You have to order it a couple of days in advance.

thanks Ned, but i think of coq au vin as more of a classique bistrot dish. ducasse/delouvrier's rendition not in this category, but appreciate the thought.

Realizing it sounds a little crazy, Ducasse does, I think in three courses, a coq au vin.  It's actually a Delouvrier specialty.  Haven't had it myself, have heard about it from some who've eaten it and seen pics in Delouvrier's book.  Sounds like something not to be missed.  You have to order it a couple of days in advance.

thanks Ned, but i think of coq au vin as more of a classique bistrot dish. ducasse/delouvrier's rendition not in this category, but appreciate the thought.

Actually Delouvrier's recipe is pretty classic. The only rason it wouldn't be a bistro dish is because ADNY is not a bistro :wink:

A few of us will be trying out this very same recipe this coming weekend with roosters as it is supposed to be. We will report back.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

IIRC, Artisanal's coq is cooked conventionally, then packed sous vide for reheating in a pot of boling water at service. That way the sauce is always of a consistent consistency. :wink:

What about Les Halles? It might be interesting for those who have made the recipe in the book to try the "real" thing, and do a compare-and-contrast report.

And then there are the old -- and I do mean OLD -- places like Le Veau d'Or or La Petite Auberge, and newer ones like Le Zinc (:wub: although I found the sauce a bit over-reduced) and Les Routiers.

And then there are the old -- and I do mean OLD -- places like Le Veau d'Or or La Petite Auberge....

We eat at La Petite Auberge with some regularity, and coq au vin is not on the regular menu. They do offer "le poulet du chef" (chicken of the day), but the last few times we were there, it was not coq au vin.

"We eat at La Petite Auberge with some regularity, and coq au vin is not on the regular menu. They do offer "le poulet du chef" (chicken of the day), but the last few times we were there, it was not coq au vin."

have not been to la petite auberge in years, seemed way too bright, average age appeared to be quite old, & i don't remember the food being that memorable; however, it does seem to receive very favorable reviews - what am i missing??

Edited by jgould (log)

I have a soft spot for La Petite Auberge because I used to eat there with my parents -- both long gone. Probably my first taste of Lobster a l'amoricaine, and oh! the dessert souffles. I was sure I'd had coq au vin there, but I guess not in a long time. :sad:

It took a week to make the coq au vin with a lot of work. it also (no surprise) turned out to be a fairly expensive dish following Delouvrier's recipe. It was, however, delicious and even better today as leftovers. The legs, thighs and wings of the roosters were particularly outstanding. The breasts were still on the dry side.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It took a week to make the coq au vin with a lot of work. it also (no surprise) turned out to be a fairly expensive dish following Delouvrier's recipe. It was, however, delicious and even better today as leftovers. The legs, thighs and wings of the roosters were particularly outstanding. The breasts were still on the dry side.

terrific report & thanks. how did your "au vin" sauce turn out?

Edited by jgould (log)

I have a soft spot for La Petite Auberge because I used to eat there with my parents -- both long gone. Probably my first taste of Lobster a l'amoricaine, and oh! the dessert souffles. I was sure I'd had coq au vin there, but I guess not in a long time. :sad:

i understand completely. unfortunately, i can't revisit 2 places my parents took me to on visits to nyc: danny's hideaway & chandler's - both long gone, but not forgotten.

terrific report & thanks. how did your "au vin" sauce turn out?

Thanks. Since a number of us are eGulleteers we are talking about the possibility of doing a more detailed report on the production including photos.

The sauce was spectacular on Saturday night and even better last night. It is very rich and complex.

Twitter - @docsconz