• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prudhomme's book

pedro

Since I started visiting a very good Cajun restaurant in Madrid, Gumbo, my interest for this cuisine (and Creole) has sharply increased. For instance, I've been following closely the thread about what defines Cajun cooking.

I'd like to buy a book about it, and certainly Prudhomme's works come to my mind. However, I'd like to know if they're a collection of recipes or some historical/background information is provided.

Thanks guys. I hope one day I'll be able to taste the stuff over there.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Prudhommes' books contain mostly his family's background, and are really interesting. The economics of the depression and of a sharecroppers' life are evident in the stories he shares. I would recommend Louisiana Kitchen, but you need to watch the red pepper he calls for. I can't use that much - I just cut it back be 3/4 to 1/2. The Family Cookbook contains recipes from Paul's brothers and sisters, and even more family history, but is an excellent collection and a great read. (Less red pepper, too :shock: )

Edited by Dana (log)

Stop Family Violence

When going into a region of unknowns....utilize the Junior League cook books for that area. You get EVERYTHING you need to know from those.

suggest..river road 1 and 2, and Pirates' Pantry (from Lake Charles).

Edited by highchef (log)

Since I started visiting a very good Cajun restaurant in Madrid, Gumbo, my interest for this cuisine (and Creole) has sharply increased. For instance, I've been following closely the thread about what defines Cajun cooking.

I'd like to buy a book about it, and certainly Prudhomme's works come to my mind. However, I'd like to know if they're a collection of recipes or some historical/background  information is provided.

Thanks guys. I hope one day I'll be able to taste the stuff over there.

and I hope you vist soon.

Unless I'm mistaken, Chef Paul has done eight books. Most of them probably deserve space on your shelf, but not all of them are about Cajun/Creole. If you want to stick close to that oeuvre, I agree with Dana. You can't do better than Louisiana Kitchen. There's a fair amount of background in the book, though it's mostly distributed among the recipes. For history and tradition, The Prudhomme Family Cookbook is fun. I also agree that you'll probably want to work up to the full dose of cayenne.

Once you've mastered that, I highly recommend Emeril Lagasse's New New Orleans Cooking, to see how broad, inclusive and adaptable these cuisines can be.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.