• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top quality Silverware...

adegiulio

Gifted Gourmet's interesting post about the history of flatware got me thinking about my own flatware. One thing I love about top notch restaurants is their beautiful silver. The difference between great silverware and plain old stainless flatware is worth the price when it comes to setting a holiday table. So...

What brands/makers should I be looking at? I like a nice heavy piece...

What stores carry the best selection.

Where can I find great prices? Online resources??

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I assume you mean the heavy real silverware as opposed to silverplate? I use silverplate (if only because it was cost prohibative to buy an entire set of real silver all at once). I got mine at Birks, (which is Canadian I think, but I believe Onida makes a nice silverware set.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yes, real silver. Like you, I can't afford a full set all at once, but I am young and would like to start building a set now. That is one of the reasons why I want a top name and a good shop so I know I will be able to continue adding to my set for years to come...

Thanks for the response! :smile:

Gifted Gourmet's interesting post about the history of flatware got me thinking about my own flatware.

There are many websites which offer all different brands of sterling silver flatware .. and nicer department stores and jewelers do as well.

This is the pattern I got for my wedding:Towle's El Grandee and for many years, I resisted using it except for "good" occasions ... now, in retrospect, everyday is a good occasion ...

Since I have four sets of kosher silverware: dairy, meat, Passover dairy, and Passover meat ... I have a few different patterns ...

Silverware must be heavy for me to feel it is "quality" .. :rolleyes:

Silver Super Store with the prices for all types ... but you have to feel them in your hand to really appreciate what it feels like ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Silverware as opposed to fine stainless or silver plate is incredibly expensive (a full set for 12 can run upwards of $15k), requires much maintenance and is very rarely found in restaurants. Even Restaurant Jean Georges uses silver plate, which still requires a ton of maintenance.

I have a 40% complete set of Tiffany Silver that I have been putting together via flea markets and replacements.com for about 5 years now. It will be a life long task, which is part of the fun for me. Until I complete my set, I am using designer stainless that I bought at Bloomingdales, which is good looking and relatively inexpensive.

Today's good quality stainless is quite exceptional and, if you don't wish to invest in really expensive stuff just yet, this will work just as well .. and it doesn't need to be insured ...

But then you will want to hand down something to your children one day, and that is why sterling silverware is a really nice heirloom gift ...

But then you will want to hand down something to your children one day, and that is why sterling silverware is a really nice heirloom gift ...

Exactly what I am looking to do... :smile:

Exactly what I am looking to do... :smile:

But then there is this caveat: you may love your sterling for years, the pattern, the way you use it, etc .. then your child says, "sorry, I want to choose my own when I get married..." :unsure:

The sterling I have may not be anything my own child wants ... she thinks it is elitist to own this stuff ... :hmmm:

Don't forget the used silver dealers. If you choose a pattern that's still being made, you can get a much better deal. Of course, used patterns which have been discontinued will cost more than getting something new. Anyone dealing in antiques, consignment shops, etc., usually carry sterling silver (most of them won't take silverplate). Try googling Beverly Bremer Silver in Atlanta. Then there is the Silver Queen and Replacements, Inc. They have pretty good prices on new pieces, but not the discontinued patterns or pieces.

I have my mother's silver from when I had to clean out her house a couple of years ago and sell everything we didn't want. I couldn't bring myself to sell the only set of sterling silver in the family, so I am using it now and will give to one of my mother's grandchildren when they get older. The pattern is from a defunct maker and isn't one I would have chosen, but let me tell ya, nobody turns his nose up at eating with silver, used or not. :wink: (Except for the ignorati--and they never get invited to my place :biggrin: )

This may seem weird, but...

If you are looking for a good set of sterling silver flatware and don't mind getting it used, you might want to check pawnshops.

The pawnshop we buy used DVD's from has a beautiful set of Wallace Grand Baroque (see an example here), I think it's a place setting for 12, for $1,200. They have it stored in tarnish-resistant cloth in a display case and even though I usually don't go for ornate patterns like that, it is just gorgeous. They have the original purchase receipts, etc. so it is the real thing.

I have been trying for years to convince DH that we NEED that set, but so far to no avail. On the other hand, I am probably inheriting a set of sterling that belongs to my grandmother, so I probably don't NEED the Wallace set like I think I do.

ETA - I was wrong on the price - DH said the last time he was in there the set is at $1,200.

Edited by designchick88 (log)

Gifted Gourmet's interesting post about the history of flatware got me thinking about my own flatware. One thing I love about top notch restaurants is their beautiful silver. The difference between great silverware and plain old stainless flatware is worth the price when it comes to setting a holiday table. So...

You really have to ask yourself some questions. Do you want flatware with a nice heft (which can be stainless) - or silver (plated or otherwise)? It isn't easy to find heft in either stainless or silver - but it's possible with both.

And do you want something traditional - or contemporary? And how much do you want to spend for a service for 12 (which is what you want)?

By the way - I'm a big believer in spending the most dollars on things you'll use every day. Who wants an expensive set of silver you only take out once a year (only to find it covered with tarnish)? I also have 4 sets of flatware (I like to buy housewares :smile: ). Three are stainless - and they weren't cheap - and one is silver plated (and the silver plated now costs about $330/place setting - it was less when I bought it).

IOW - I'd throw away the crummy everyday stuff - and buy yourself a decent set you'll enjoy every day. Probably stainless. Robyn

You really have to ask yourself some questions.  Do you want flatware with a nice heft (which can be stainless) - or silver (plated or otherwise)?  It isn't easy to find heft in either stainless or silver - but it's possible with both.

I want silver. I want something to give to my children. I want something to give to myself. A Chevy and a BMW will both get you where you want to go, but the BMW will do it with more style.

And do you want something traditional - or contemporary?  And how much do you want to spend for a service for 12 (which is what you want)?

I would like something traditional. I am interested in a set for 16, but putting a price on a total set is tough since there are so many other pieces not included in a "basic" 5 piece setting. For a complete set I can see us spending over 10k to get what we want. We don't have to buy it all at once and they last forever (I just have to be careful who I invite for dinner.. :rolleyes: )

By the way - I'm a big believer in spending the most dollars on things you'll use every day.

I don't agree with that 100%. Sure, it doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on something that will be used once a year, but that doesn't mean we can't reserve "the best" for special occasions. If you wore that special cashmere sweater everyday, or ate caviar daily for breakfast, it wouldn't be as wonderful when you did indulge.

Who wants an expensive set of silver you only take out once a year (only to find it covered with tarnish)? 

We entertain a lot :wink: . But otherwise I do see your point. I'm not a big fan of people who never use their special "stuff" because an event isn't "special" enough. That doesn't mean it should be used everyday, of course.

Any specific recommendations out there?

Yes, get designchick88 to buy that Wallace Grand Braroque set for $1,200 and send it to you. That's a steal.

FYI, I was at an antique fair some years ago and one of the vendors had quite a bit of silverware for sale. He told me that his mother had "Repousse" and he would swear that the old stuff was heavier than the new.

The best stainless steel flatware is rather expensive; silverplate tarnishes worse than sterling and is harder to clean. Sterling will stay clean if properly stored. Stainless will not increase in value, ever; sterling will.

An idea that may be lost by now: It was always prefectly proper to serve mismatched silver at the fanciest dinners. The idea was that you were so well born that you inherited silver from more than one source! That's for the snobs who are reading this.

One issue at a time. You won't be doing your children any favors by buying common silver. When my mother-in-law died - her 50 year old silver was worth less than a stainless set I bought about 25 years ago. Because common lower end silver is - well - common - and high end stainless retro designer flatware from the 60's and 70's isn't. No one was interested in my MIL's silver except one of her grandchildren who basically can't afford anything. To see what happens to the prices of used flatware - you can browse through Ebay. A lot of resale value depends on style/manufacturer - not whether the flatware is silver or stainless.

If you want to give something important to your children - save your dollars - and give them a great education.

You are a different matter. If you want to treat yourself - fine. Just keep in mind that there's stainless that's more expensive than cheap silver. To me - the most important thing is the look you want to achieve on your table. And the mileage there is variable. If you're talking about $500+ for a place setting (16 settings for more than $10,000) - take a look at Christofle. Robyn

I have my mother's sterling and an aunt's plus assorted pieces from my MIL. Depending on what's going on in my life, I use them often or seldom.

Right now my son and his family are living with me and we don't use them except for special family dinners (so I don't have to keep checking the garbage disposal). I can't tell you how many of my restaurant supply stainless teaspoons have been sacrificed to the grinder god. I especially like the one that bends to the side like a drunk trying to keep it's balance. I keep it in the sugar bowl as a hopeful reminder to save the few that are left from like fate. :blink:

But I will bring my aunt's silver out again for everyday dinner when I'm alone. I like the way it feels in the hand.

One of the things I like about old silver, crystal, dishes, etc. is that they remind me of the people who've left it behind and I know they will go to my grandchildren in the future.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

If you want to give something important to your children - save your dollars - and give them a great education.

Can't I do both?

I love eGullet. One can always find answers to questions by polling its members. Sometimes though, members use eG as a soundboard for their own opinions and values. While I appreciate the time everyone took in their responses, I'm not too crazy about "advice" I need to wade through to. I've gone through the arguments in my head as to the benefits and costs of silver vs. stainless. I want silver. I don't want a lecture on how to spend my money; i.e. children's education or silver. I can make that decision myself.

Thanks again for your time...

But then there is this caveat: you may love your sterling for years, the pattern, the way you use it, etc .. then your child says, "sorry, I want to choose my own when I get married..." :unsure:

When we chose our sterling pattern we actually picked Francis I since that's what Blovie's parents have. His rationale being we'll inherit their set. :rolleyes: We're slowly building up our silver service. My aunt gave us all the serving pieces when we married, and now that we've completed our china service, my parents give us another silver setting on our anniversary.

It is true that antique silver weighs more than new silver. If you compare the weights the old and new editions of Francis I it's very obvious.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Unfortunately, most of the silverware (including many of the major manufacturers mentioned here, especially the American ones) that is sold these days is pretty small and lightweight, especially when you place them next to a full size dinner plate. Many of these manufacturers will make the exact same patterns in a larger size (I think they call them European sizes? I'm not sure about that) so you can get a pattern you like with a nice heft to it. However, when you're price shopping around, make sure that the price you are being quoted is for the bigger patterns.

If you can afford it, I would recommend Christofle. This stuff if very hefty, and comes in Christofle silver (which is technically silverplate, but is so heavily plated that it has more silver per piece by weight than sterling silver pieces from other manufacturers) or sterling silver. It feels absolutely luxurious in your hand. A place like Bloomingdale's will have both "regular" manufacturers of silver and Christofle so you can feel and see the difference for yourself.

As for where to buy, try www.michaelcfina.com. I haven't specifically shopped for silver there, but they had better prices on our china. I think www.ross-simons.com also sells at a discount, though I don't have personal experience with them. Also, once you pick out your pattern, just do a google search on the manufacturer and name. There are a lot of online stores out there selling at a discount. Whether or not you want to buy from them is up to you.

Also, look at www.jomashop.com. For example, they have the Christofle Marly pattern (sterling) that retails at $650 for a 5-pc place setting for $400, or the 110 pc service for 12 that retails at $12,000 for $7,200. They guarantee that their products are 100% Genuine Christofle silver; however they are not an authorized dealer (I don't think authorized dealers are allowed to sell at that discount). The risk is up to you. Actually, I've even seen signs at Costco that say they are not an authorized dealer (for a high end watch, I think), but they guarantee the authenticity of their products, and I trust that Costco is a reputable seller. Actually, now that I think about it, I saw a sterling silver set (service for 8 or 12 in one of those storage chests) of Towle Old Master (?) at my local Costco for a good price. (It might not have been Towle Old Master, but at the least it was a well-known brand that sells in that price range in a similar pattern. I just remember that they were selling a pattern that was on our short list of patterns, and that pattern name jumps out at me. However, ultimately we decided to hold out for the Christofle because of the gorgeous feel.)

I haven't weighed in on this because I don't have any manufacturer's recommendations, or sources. I do have one practical suggestion, though: if you're into haunting estate sales and auctions, you may be able to land a wonderful old set, with its evidently superior workmanship, at a bargain price. That's how I got the silver service that I'll use until (and if) I inherit my parents' set...and even then, I may keep the stuff I have now. It takes patience, though, and may not be your thing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Unfortunately, most of the silverware (including many of the major manufacturers mentioned here, especially the American ones) that is sold these days is pretty small and lightweight, especially when you place them next to a full size dinner plate.  Many of these manufacturers will make the exact same patterns in a larger size (I think they call them European sizes?  I'm not sure about that) so you can get a pattern you like with a nice heft to it.

A quick look at my silver reveals the larger size is called "place" as in Place Fork.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm putting in another vote for Christofle. My MIL has an absolutely beautiful set which has a nice heft and clean lines. It polishes up easily also. I got my great-grandmothers and so have no purchase information for you but Christofle and Puifourcat are my two favorites.

Use your silver and enjoy it! Nothing keeps it more beautiful than regular use.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

If one is considering buying sterling flatware in the price and quality range of Christofle, you might also check out the silver of Buccellati of Italy ... this is one of the most elegant sets of silver available.

"Buccellati is a family enterprise with traditions rooted in the 18th century. Today Buccellati is recognized as one of the world's foremost silversmiths. The Buccellati flatware collection of 14 patterns represents the beauty and excellence of fine craftsmanship. Timeless and elegant, the designs span many centuries from the classic to the contemporary, giving the collection versatility suited for today's eclectic lifestyles."
Buccellati silver

If I were going to choose another pattern other than my present Towle silver, this is a very real and desirable option ... :wink: I love the look of the Torchon pattern by Buccellati :wub:

I am the keeper of what little silver is in our family...for some reason it is mainly spoons. I love just to take it out and polish it from time to time and think about the family members I have never met that passed them on. So I think it is a great gift to pass on through the generations. I have looked from time to time for silver of my own but the money is spent on other things for the time being. One maker that is fairly well respected and collected is Georg Jensen. They have a smalle but nice variety of patterns in Silver and some very nice Stainless, as well.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali