• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Make my Weekend Special!

davidbdesilva

OK so we are FINALLY going to get away for the weekend without the kids, the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving. I need your help to make it a great weekend. We will be staying at the Radisson-Warwick at 17th & Locust. I have a bunch of questions, some of them not necessarily food related so excuse my indulgence, but I know I can trust you all :biggrin: So here goes (they don't have to be within walking distance of the hotel):

* Saturday morning/afternoon I was thinking of a stop at a place that serves great coffee and pastries, is there a place where this can be done simultaneously? What about places likes Torreo and Meil?

* Saturday or Sunday I wanted to take my wife for a massage/treatment at a nice spa, any recommendations?

* Sunday I wanted to do a brunch, was thinking of the Four Seasons, Zanzibar Blue (with music of course), Founders, etc. I have heard great things about the Four Seasons brunch, is it that good?

* Saturday night I was thinking of a nice dinner at a moderate place, has anyone been to Le Jardin in the Arts Alliance Bldg yet? What about other places like Melograno, Pif, Pumpkin, etc.? (Sunday night is a late dinner at Django).

* Any good spots to hear live jazz (Chris' on Sansom, Ortlieb's, etc?)

Thank you and thank you for helping out with any suggestions you might have. Being away from the kids doesn't happen very often so I want to make our 2 days as special as I can. Then again, we could just stay in our room the whole time :wink:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Sounds like a much needed respite and a great time to be in Center City sans kids.

Saturday Morning Coffee: La Colombe - The coffee is theirs. The croissants come from the Rittenhouse Hotel - the almond croissant is highly recommended. Or you could hit Miel, just about next door to the Warwick, and BYO to LaColombe.

The Four Seasons brunch is still spectacular. I prefer to go there for Sunday breakfast and watch the legion of cooks set up the buffet line, but that's just me. Then again, Little Pete's is right across from the Warwick, and everyone should really experience at least once their eggs benedict with mayonnaise in leiu of Hollandaise sauce. It's as good a cure as any for a Sunday AM hangover. :smile:

I don't know from Spas, but I think there are a couple of fancy ones on 17th, just south of the Warwick.

Of the Saturday Dinner spots you mentioned, I'd favor Melograno, but haven't been to Pumpkin.

Enjoy

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

DavidDavidDavid!

You go! Spoil that lovely wife of yours! Sounds like a great weekend.

I love going to Miel just because their pastries go beyond the usual croissants, coffee cake and scones. Not that those aren't awesome, but you could have lots of different things with your coffee that wouldn't be available elsewhere.

Melograno is a lovely place for dinner, but the no reservation policy can make for an excruciating wait. Unless of course you have Carman's Truck to Party in while you're waiting. :biggrin: However, Matyson is only a short walk away on 19th Street and does take reservations. No experience yet with Pumpkin, but I've heard good things.

As for the spa, I'd highly recommend booking a massage with Michael Adler at Adolf Biecker Spa at the Rittenhouse Hotel. Michael is an amazing masseuse, with the most magical hands ever. The fact that he is visually impaired (he is blind) seems to have heightened his tactile abilities to a level I've never experienced before. He's the best masseuse around, but he books up pretty far in advance as a result, so I'd look into it ASAP.

Have a lovely weekend and don't hesitate to PM if I can help. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

DavidDavidDavid!

You go!  Spoil that lovely wife of yours!  Sounds like a great weekend.

I love going to Miel just because their pastries go beyond the usual croissants, coffee cake and scones.

not according to the customer in dibruno's 18th street last week who was yelling at the top of his lungs to whoever was waiting on him YANN BETTER NOT CLOSE I HEAR THEY AREN'T DOING SO WELL AND EVERYONE GOES ON ABOUT MIEL BUT THEIR PASTRY SUCKS IT'S OVERLY SUGARY AND NOT GOOD AND REALLY I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BIG DEAL I MEAN IT'S OK AND ALL BUT EVERYONE GOES ON AND REALLY IT'S OVERLY SUGARED ANYWAY EVERYTHING AT YANN IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD NOT LIKE MIEL EVERYONE SHOULD BUY EVERYTHING AT YANN for like five minutes as 20 other people tried to order and kept wincing and pausing because it was so hard to talk with someone yelling nonstop like that.

anyway, yeah, miel, or yann if they're open sundays. another option that might be interesting is to get one of those sugar waffles from bonte, which is just up the street at 17th & sansom. man they're good. pretty good coffee too.

OK so we are FINALLY going to get away for the weekend without the kids, the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving. I need your help to make it a great weekend. We will be staying at the Radisson-Warwick at 17th & Locust. I have a bunch of questions, some of them not necessarily food related so excuse my indulgence, but I know I can trust you all  :biggrin: So here goes (they don't have to be within walking distance of the hotel):

* Saturday morning/afternoon I was thinking of a stop at a place that serves great coffee and pastries, is there a place where this can be done simultaneously? What about places likes Torreo and Meil?

* Saturday or Sunday I wanted to take my wife for a massage/treatment at a nice spa, any recommendations?

* Sunday I wanted to do a brunch, was thinking of the Four Seasons, Zanzibar Blue (with music of course), Founders, etc. I have heard great things about the Four Seasons brunch, is it that good?

* Saturday night I was thinking of a nice dinner at a moderate place, has anyone been to Le Jardin in the Arts Alliance Bldg yet? What about other places like Melograno, Pif, Pumpkin, etc.? (Sunday night is a late dinner at Django).

* Any good spots to hear live jazz (Chris' on Sansom, Ortlieb's, etc?)

Thank you and thank you for helping out with any suggestions you might have. Being away from the kids doesn't happen very often so I want to make our 2 days as special as I can. Then again, we could just stay in our room the whole time  :wink:

David, Judy is one lucky woman.

Steps away from your hotel are two great coffee pastry places, Miel, of course, and, just above Walnut, as James mentions, Bonte, with Belgian waffles from heaven and La Colombe coffee.

I'd second the Adolf Biecker recommendation from Katie, although the masseuses at Pierre & Carlo downstairs at The Bellevue are also quite exceptional talents.

If you take her to Biecker, then make Sunday brunch ressies at Lacroix, for an extraordinary brunch.

Robert Capella is the new chef at the new Le Jardin, and he is an incredible talent. Get there before he gets his annual case of wanderlust. And grab a sexy cocktail at the bar at Barclay Prime next door, a drippingly romantic bar.

Jazz at Chris' on Sansom is the real deal, and not overpriced the way Zanzibar sometimes is.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Hi, David! Sounds like you and the Mrs. are going to have a luxurious weekend in Philly.

I notice that most of the places recommended so far are near your hotel, which makes sense, but if I may add one a little further away if you want to take a stroll, the Mean Bean Cafe (1112 Locust) also serves La Colombe coffee, has decent pastry (though not their own, and hence not as good as the places already mentioned) and a semi-outdoor seating area (covered with an awning and enclosed in inclement weather) next to a cute community garden.

Toppers Spa is also near your hotel, on 19th between Chestnut and Sansom. They have good affordable spa packages--unfortunately, I can't report on the quality of the experience, because my partner never used the gift certificate I bought him last Christmas.

The Sunday Brunch at the Four Seasons really is that good. You will be pampered like you've never been before, with super-attentive service and a fabulous spread--three different buffet stations with just about everything imaginable (beef Wellington, sushi, crab legs, asparagus salad, carved turkey...and of course, eggs, bacon, sausage and quiche), with live music (classics and jazz standards). I have a congenital aversion to spending lots of money on things (I usually think that past a certain point, you're just paying for the name), but this brunch was worth every penny of the $125 (including drinks and tip) the two of us spent. Since this is a special weekend, by all means, go for it!

Zanzibar Blue is a bit pricey, but the big-name acts usually play there when they're in Philly. The weekend you're in town, guitarist Joyce Cooling will be performing (you will have just missed Maynard Ferguson). Chris' Jazz Cafe has more local and regional talent, as does Ortlieb's Jazz Haus, a classic dive in Northern Liberties. Another local dive--a real dive--that has good jam sessions (and a legendary drag show during the week) is Bob and Barbara's Lounge at 1509 South Street. You'd probably have to check Philadelphia Weekly or the CityPaper to see what's on there. However: If you wanted to dine while listening, this establishment does not serve food.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

DavidDavidDavid!

I love going to Miel just because their pastries go beyond the usual croissants, coffee cake and scones.

not according to the customer in dibruno's 18th street last week who was yelling at the top of his lungs to whoever was waiting on him YANN BETTER NOT CLOSE I HEAR THEY AREN'T DOING SO WELL AND EVERYONE GOES ON ABOUT MIEL BUT THEIR PASTRY SUCKS IT'S OVERLY SUGARY AND NOT GOOD AND REALLY I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BIG DEAL I MEAN IT'S OK AND ALL BUT EVERYONE GOES ON AND REALLY IT'S OVERLY SUGARED ANYWAY EVERYTHING AT YANN IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD NOT LIKE MIEL EVERYONE SHOULD BUY EVERYTHING AT YANN for like five minutes as 20 other people tried to order and kept wincing and pausing because it was so hard to talk with someone yelling nonstop like that.

anyway, yeah, miel, or yann if they're open sundays. another option that might be interesting is to get one of those sugar waffles from bonte, which is just up the street at 17th & sansom. man they're good. pretty good coffee too.

:hmmm: A Yann shill, perhaps?? How bizarre...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You all are being so extremely helpful, I really appreciate it! :biggrin: I'm starting to get things in place: after two recommendations here and being called one of the best deals in town on citysearch, I have decided to go with the Adolf Biecker spa at the Rittenhouse hotel for a late afternoon massage on Sunday after letting brunch digest a while. That brings me to another question about Brunch though, I'm hearing Four Seasons and LaCroix, the fantastic description in the last post told me a lot of brunch at the 4 Seasons, what is it like at LaCroix? I'm imagining somewhat smaller and more intimate? (though the jazz at the 4 Seasons is a nice addition). And, what does brunch run at both places? Is there a price fixe or is it determined by what you get? I do want to splurge and pamper my wife, but $125 for brunch may be a bit much.

Thanks for the coffee and pastry recs, I think that Bonte and Miel will be definites. I'm also thinking that Chris' will fill the bill for some honest and home-grown jazz. Thanks Rich for the Barclay Prime rec, sounds like a great place for a romantic nightcap. You guys (and gals) are awesome! :wub:

DavidDavidDavid!

not according to the customer in dibruno's <snip> 20 other people tried to order and kept wincing and pausing because it was so hard to talk with someone yelling nonstop like that.

:hmmm: A Yann shill, perhaps?? How bizarre...

no, i don't think so. i think it was just someone who couldn't really control the tone or volume of his voice. like will ferrell in that one snl... here: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00qupdate.phtml

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who gave suggestions, we had an awesome weekend! The Raddison-Warwick is a lovely hotel and walking distance to so much, and such a beautiful area. Rittenhouse Square looks magical with all the globe lights in the trees, it made for very romantic strolls.

Saturday night we had an incredible meal at Le Jardin. Robert Capella is incredible and we got to chat with him as he worked the floor. Lobster salad with white asparagus and sauteed skate wing with lemon and walnuts for apps, slow roasted duck breast with a foie gras filled apple and lamb bolognese with paper thin tagliatelle for entrees. Desserts were very good tarte tatin and an absolutely huge cheese plate of cow, sheep and goat cheeses. An awesome Marsannay (forget the vineyard Katie) accompanied this all. Quite an evening. I would highly recommend this very romantic restaurant.

Being too full the next day, we unfortunately had to cancel brunch at The Fountain :sad: but will experience this someday. Sunday afternoon the wife had a lovely surprise massage (thanks Katie) at Adolf Biecker spa at the Rittenhouse Hotel (while I had eggs benedict at the Black Sheep pub and watched the Iggles). Sunday night was a lovely late dinner at Django. Beef cheeks over fresh pasta for app, grouper with mussels in a bouillibaisse (sp?) sauce and pork loin with pork ragu over polenta for entrees. Madeline cakes for dessert were very nice. What can one say that already hasn't been said about Django? I'll leave it at that. Bonte for Belguim sugar waffles and La Colombe was fantastic as were the pastries at Miel! Cigars and scotch while listening to Sinatra at the bar in the Prime Rib at the Raddison was an added delight. All in all a very relaxing and fattening weekend. Thanks again!

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)