• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nectar Has Closed

EllenH

Based on the tone and content of the first question in Tom Sietsema's chat this morning, as well as the "anonymous" early leaking of the Nectar story (and trust me, the story broke several hours before it should have), I smell a rat.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what might the "rat" be up to? Is this just piling on and score settling? I don't understand what might be gained by leaking the news other than not allowing the owners to control the release themselves? Same with the post in the chat, which seemed not only nastily gratuitous, but almost laughably planted by someone with a serious ax to grind.

Tony

Based on the tone and content of the first question in Tom Sietsema's chat this morning, as well as the "anonymous" early leaking of the Nectar story (and trust me, the story broke several hours before it should have), I smell a rat.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity, what might the "rat" be up to? Is this just piling on and score settling? I don't understand what might be gained by leaking the news other than not allowing the owners to control the release themselves? Same with the post in the chat, which seemed not only nastily gratuitous, but almost laughably planted by someone with a serious ax to grind.

I wonder who the landlord is. The landlord would be the prime candidate for "rat" here. After all, the landlord now has to go find a new restaurant to go in, the hotel has no room service for now, there probably will be remodeling costs, no rent while it's vacant. As deep throat so famouslly observed: Follow the money.

I wonder who the landlord is.  The landlord would be the prime candidate for "rat" here.  After all, the landlord now has to go find a new restaurant to go in, the hotel has no room service for now, there probably will be remodeling costs, no rent while it's vacant.  As deep throat so famouslly observed:  Follow the money.

The George Washington University. They were my prime suspects, too.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

There was far too much leading insight to that first post. Though there's no confidentiality agreement I don't feel that saying ugly things about ugly people is in anyone's intrests.

The official reason why Nectar closed from the horse's mouth is this: GW, who owns the hotel wanted to scale back or reconcept the restaurant. Something Jamison and I were not willing to do. Instead of coming to the table people on both sides jockeyed for postion, and as things came to a head it was a race to see who could shoot first. The name is ours, you may see it again, you may see something completely new, or you may see me become mister-mom and sit in front of this damn computer screen with my bourbon and bon bons.

Thanks to all for your kind words.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

I wonder who the landlord is. The landlord would be the prime candidate for "rat" here. After all, the landlord now has to go find a new restaurant to go in, the hotel has no room service for now, there probably will be remodeling costs, no rent while it's vacant. As deep throat so famouslly observed: Follow the money.

The Hotel is called the George Washington Inn. Not for the guy on the dollar...but for the lord of the land...

What a mean-spirited post that was.

There was far too much leading insight to that first post. Though there's no confidentiality agreement I don't feel that saying ugly things about ugly people is in anyone's intrests.

The official reason why Nectar closed from the horse's mouth is this: GW, who owns the hotel wanted to scale back or reconcept the restaurant. Something Jamison and I were not willing to do. Instead of coming to the table people on both sides jockeyed for postion, and as things came to a head it was a race to see who could shoot first. The name is ours, you may see it again, you may see something completely new, or you may see me become mister-mom and sit in front of this damn computer screen with my bourbon and bon bons.

Thanks to all for your kind words.

You keep us posted as to where you pop up once more. We very much enjoyed our one and only meal there. We were planning on returning (soon!), too.

How many of you had the opportunity to try Jarad's Creme Brulee? Of the ones that did, how many of you came close to guessing the "secret" ingredient?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

As for me, Moira and I are off to New York for the next year or so. If my stage goes well I'll be working at Bouley by January.

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES

As for me, Moira and I are off to New York for the next year or so. If my stage goes well I'll be working at Bouley by January.

Best of luck Jamison. Perhaps we can organize a group to head up to NYC for dinner!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Great signature. Good luck, Jamie. I'll miss the bandana and all the rest.

This is what it took to get you to post? :blink:

With your departure following Michael Hartzer's, Washington has lost two of its brightest culinary talents in 2004, hopefully only temporarily.

I'd wish you luck except it isn't necessary. I'm certain that a stint at Bouley will broaden and deepen your already considerable talents, and that in a year or two, you'll be ready to pounce on your own terms.

I'm also certain that we'll be popping corks in the very near future. Be afraid.

D

Jarad and Jamison,

I'm sorry to hear that your run at the GWI has come to an end. Nectar was a stunning example of what a relenless dedication to innovation, intellegence, and creativity can make of even the dankest of basements. Washington DC was lucky to have Nectar for the time it did, and I count myself lucky to have lived there to experience it.

I wish you both all the best and am all but certain you will achieve it.

Best of luck,

Darren

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

We'll always have coffee and butter covered Voss bottle licking from trash cans right? Jamie and Moira have officially left the building, talked to him last night while he was on his way out the door. Best of luck my dear friends, I will see you in the city soon.

Peace

Is it just me....or do you hate it when people say....is it just me?

We'll always have coffee and butter covered Voss bottle licking from trash cans right?  Jamie and Moira have officially left the building, talked to him last night while he was on his way out the door.  Best of luck my dear friends, I will see you in the city soon.

Peace

and butter-covered squash.. um.... "handling". you don't know it sebastian, but i am about to leak your pix.. heheheheh

edit: can't spell

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Jamison,

I figure that I will use my first post to let you know that I will miss your wonderful restaurant. Thoughts of your crab salad still brings a smile to my wife’s face, and your seared foie gras has set the standard for all others I have eaten, and few have come close. You preparation of rhubarb finally convinced me to give it a try after years of dodging my relatives attempts to just take a taste, I am now a fan, but I doubt I will find many that will match your roasted rhubarb and strawberry. After countless times enjoying your food, I took my parents in October, and when we walked out of the restaurant they wanted to know when we can go back. :sad: Good luck with whatever you do.

• 3 months later...

The Final Chapter :angry: :

TRADING SPACES: Eight months after taking over the kitchen at Aria Trattoria (1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW; 202-312-1250) downtown, chef Anthony Chittum is saying ciao to that Italian retreat and heading to Foggy Bottom -- and two 50-seat restaurants, both run by the Potomac Restaurant Group.

One is the American-themed Dish (924 25th St. NW; 202-338-8707); the other is the yet-to-open Notti Bianchi -- that's "white nights" in Italian -- which replaces Nectar at 824 New Hampshire Ave. NW.

Aren't two restaurants a lot more work than one? "Luckily, they're half a block from each other," says Chittum, who in his capacity as executive chef will watch over both businesses. He's also putting his current sous-chef at Aria, Miles Vaden, in that same position at Dish, where the menu of comfort foods will be tweaked to include goat cheese ravioli, venison with corn bread and country-fried steak based on Chittum's grandmother's recipe.

A second-in-command has yet to be hired (Attention, sous-chefs!) for Notti Bianchi, but its owner, George Washington University, hopes to have it open by late April or early May -- just in time for college graduation, natch.

Apart from taking issue with the notion that Notti Bianchi will "replace" Nectar, I'm wondering how this comports with the supposed reason GWU closed Nectar in the first place, in order to provide a less upscale restaurant in its less than upscale hotel.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Ah, finire in merde!

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES