• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nectar Has Closed

EllenH

An "anonymous" post on chowhound says nectar is closing. Is this for real?

Say it ain't so!

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

I really wish this news hadn't broken so quickly.

I just spoke with Jarad Slipp and confirmed that Nectar's final service was last Saturday Night.

Please remember that this Hole-In-The-Wall Dungeon-Of-A-Space in a Third-Rate Hotel meant nothing per se: the only thing that made Nectar great was its people: Jamison Blankenship, Jarad Slipp and the rest of the staff.

With respect,

Rocks.

I hate to be a drama queen (and perhaps it's just PMS), but this annoucement just made me cry. All the way from Madison.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Given this sad news, I'm really thrilled that Sara and I chose to have our final meal in DC at Nectar before moving to Wisconsin. Best of luck to Jamie and Jarad as they move onto new ventures.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Didn't see that one coming....I am very sorry because my one meal there was a stellar experience. Look forward to the next project of Jarad & Co.

[NeckedHer? I hardly know her....]

Resident Twizzlebum

I'm sorry for anyone who didn't have the opportunity to experience Nectar, and of course, for my friends at Nectar, who put their souls into what they do and made that place glow.

I have so many memories of great meals and drunken happiness behind those walls, celebrating with friends. What a terrible surprise. :sad:

Very sad news, as I was looking forward to going there for my anniversary which was last month. Due to an upcoming move, we've put off the celebrations for a bit, which hopefully will give us time to hear about a next venture? (As they say, you snooze, you lose.) :sad:

one of my best meals ever was at Nectar. Alex' squash soup made me feel like crying in delight; now I'll have to cry in sadness until they open somewhere new . :sad:

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

I guess the next logical question is: "what is their next project going to look like?" (if one they have in mind).

Here's hoping! That said, Nectar's not comming off of The List until there is something to replace it with!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

"Let's not unman each other--part at once; All farewells should be sudden, when forever, Else they make an eternity of moments, And clog the last sad sands of life with tears." - Byron

R.I.P. Nectar. Its on.

“Let us candidly admit that there are shameful blemishes on the American past, of which the worst by far is rum. Nevertheless, we have improved man's lot and enriched his civilization with rye, bourbon and the Martini cocktail. In all history has any other nation done so much?”

Bernard De Voto (1897-1955) American writer and critic.

"Let's not unman each other--part at once; All farewells should be sudden, when forever, Else they make an eternity of moments, And clog the last sad sands of life with tears." - Byron

R.I.P. Nectar. Its on.

es ist tatsächlich an

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

see that avatar to the left? that's how i feel and look now.

i feel as though i've been slapped in the face.

there is a little man in me who will always be eating cheese in not quite the same way from now on; until...

and where oh where will we procure a hunk of stinking bishop now?

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

We drank my last bottle of Amano tonight in tribute.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the wine courses and the cheese and the sweetbreads and the wierd-ass creme brulee in the strangest oasis of beauty that foggy bottom offered.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone has my sympathy.

And my envy. Most of the time, when restaurants close in my community, NO ONE grieves. The next chain just takes over the building.