• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for North Carolina Barbecue

VictorFiorillo

There's plenty of good eating down there. My favorite bbq is Allen and Son in Chapel Hill. Murray's in Raleigh is good too.

For down home style cooking, you'll do well at Mama Dip in Chapel Hill or Big Eds in the City Market in downtown Raleigh.

My site has some info on all these places - either on the Southern section of the Carolina BBQ section.

Also see the thread on Katie Purvis's barbecue quest.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Victor, I live in Raleigh, and there's lots of good choices in the region. Tell us a bit more regarding what you're looking for. Cheap eats or high end? As far as barbecue is concerned, Raleigh isn't the best spot for it. However, Allen & Son just north of Chapel Hill is a top-notch example of NC barbecue, so it's worth the 25 minute drive. We'll take care of you, just help out a bit!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Victor, I live in Raleigh, and there's lots of good choices in the region.  Tell us a bit more regarding what you're looking for.  Cheap eats or high end?  As far as barbecue is concerned, Raleigh isn't the best spot for it.  However, Allen & Son just north of Chapel Hill is a top-notch example of NC barbecue, so it's worth the 25 minute drive.  We'll take care of you, just help out a bit!

Allen & Son sounds like a good bet. I don't think I've ever had Carolina style barbecue, so I'd like to find the place that offers the best example, whether high or low end. But something tells me that the place serving the $100 pulled pork sandwich ain't as good as the little trailer to the side of the road with the big sign that reads "PORK HERE!"

Other than that, my only goal is to pick up some boiled nuts for my wife.

thanks for the advice

]Victor, I live in Raleigh, and there's lots of Other than that, my only goal is to pick up some boiled nuts for my wife.

You may have trouble with that, Victor. North Carolina isn't really in the boiled-peanut belt. You'll have to get closer to South Carolina for that.

Generally (and all food regions are always general), the boiled peanut zone is Alabama, North Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. North Carolina is where you're more likely to find what we call "parched" peanuts, which are more like roasted peanuts.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I'll be down in Durham this coming weekend. We've got places to eat planned for everything but Sunday. Is there any BBQ places open on Sun? Seems like everything is closed! :sad: Failing that, any other Sunday-open fairly cheap eats (Magnolia Grill and Enoteca Vin are sapping our budget the other days)?

Chris Sadler

I'll be down in Durham this coming weekend.  We've got places to eat planned for everything but Sunday.  Is there any BBQ places open on Sun?  Seems like everything is closed!  :sad:  Failing that, any other Sunday-open fairly cheap eats (Magnolia Grill and Enoteca Vin are sapping our budget the other days)?

I'd give the Q Shack a try. I haven't been since they have opened additional locations and I have read some complaints that the place is no longer as good as it was. Still, it is open on Sunday from noon - 8 PM at the original location on University Drive.

Check out the website for more information on this atypical place which serves several kinds of BBQ.

The Q Shack

I'll be down in Durham this coming weekend.  We've got places to eat planned for everything but Sunday.  Is there any BBQ places open on Sun?  Seems like everything is closed!  :sad:  Failing that, any other Sunday-open fairly cheap eats (Magnolia Grill and Enoteca Vin are sapping our budget the other days)?

Since you said you were going to be in Durham on Sunday, another idea is the Sunday brunch at the new cafe at Gugelhupf. I have been to the bakery several times and, while I haven't tried the cafe yet, I have a hunch it will be extraordinary.

Wait wait wait! I had boiled peanuts at the flea market at the fairgrounds right before the fair. They tasted wonderful. This vendor was outside, past where the pets used to be--sort of the area between the hardcore vendors and the more garage sale folks..if that helps.

]Victor, I live in Raleigh, and there's lots of Other than that, my only goal is to pick up some boiled nuts for my wife.

You may have trouble with that, Victor. North Carolina isn't really in the boiled-peanut belt. You'll have to get closer to South Carolina for that.

Generally (and all food regions are always general), the boiled peanut zone is Alabama, North Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. North Carolina is where you're more likely to find what we call "parched" peanuts, which are more like roasted peanuts.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I'll be down in Durham this coming weekend.   We've got places to eat planned for everything but Sunday.   Is there any BBQ places open on Sun?  Seems like everything is closed!  :sad:  Failing that, any other Sunday-open fairly cheap eats (Magnolia Grill and Enoteca Vin are sapping our budget the other days)?

Since you said you were going to be in Durham on Sunday, another idea is the Sunday brunch at the new cafe at Gugelhupf. I have been to the bakery several times and, while I haven't tried the cafe yet, I have a hunch it will be extraordinary.

Strong call, Brent. Gugelhupf is an incredible bakery -- it's even worth a trip from Raleigh, it's so good.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites