• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rare lamb vs rare beef

Of course doneness in meats is a subjective matter, and I’m curious to hear from others whether there is indeed a consensus that lamb has a higher minimum temperature for becoming palatable.

I’ve never directly compared say a lamb loin and beef tenderloin cooked to the same “rare” temperatures. Sounds like a delicious experiment that I need to do! If there are differences, they might have to do with the distinctive flavor of lamb--I love it but have not enjoyed my encounters with lamb cooked bleu—or with textural differences due to the relative ages of the animals, the younger lamb having more water and immature collagen (I remember the bleu lamb being wet and slippery and chewy).