• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sprouts

ravum

I absolutely love Sprouts.They are convenient to have around,cook in a jiffy and can be tossed into just about anything.

My favourites are:Moong,Matki(Thats what it's called in Marathi,anyone know its aliases?),Garbanzos ,White peas and methi.

Top uses are:

Lightly steamed,turned into a chaat

Steamed to make a sundal

Cooked as an usal

Cooked as a Dal

Ground and made into a dosa

With rice as a pulao

Ground and steamed into dhoklas or idlis

A wonderful methi sprout pickle from Usha Prabhakrans pickle book.

Which beans do you sprout and what do you make with them?

Hmmm... sundal and usal - what are they?

Sundal is a south indian bean salad.Usal is a maharashtrian cooked dish made with sprouted beans.I can post recipes if you are interested.

Milagai,I would love the recipe for the methi sprout chutney.

methi sprout / tamarind chutney

(this was originally printed in the Hindu supplement

mag few years ago)

300g - fenugreek sprouts (obtained from 100g seeds)

1 tsp - mustard seeds: for seasoning

150g - cleaned tamarind (size of a medium orange), obtain thick extract using water

3 tsp - jaggery, grated

5 tbsp - chilli powder

1/4 tsp - asafoetida, roast in oil and powder

7 tbsp - salt

150ml - oil (1 cup approx.) gingelly or sunflower.

To sprout fenugreek:

Soak the fenugreek seeds in sufficient water overnight. Drain away the water the next day and tie the soaked seeds in a clean cloth. Hang the bundle in a warm place for a day or two, keeping it moist. Ensure that the sprouts are medium in size. Longer sprouting tends to make the pickle bitter. Stir-fry the fenugreek sprouts over low heat for exactly two minutes and set it aside. Longer frying makes the sprouts bitter.

In the same pan heat some more oil, add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Stir in the tamarind extract, jaggery, salt and bring it to a boil. Allow it to thicken over a high flame. Lower the heat, stir in the chilli, turmeric, asafoetida powders, the remaining oil and continue cooking for about 45 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Add the fried sprouts and cook for 15 more minutes or until the mixture becomes jam-like and the oil separates.

The chutney is ready for use. It lasts about six months, refrigerated.

This is the same recipe from Usha Prabhakrans book called fenugreek sprout pickle,which I make.

It's  a wonderful book and anyone who likes pickles/chutneys will definitely enjoy it.

Ravum:

Where did you buy this booK? I searched Amazon, South Asia Books and Vedams Books. None of them have it.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

Ravum:

Where did you buy this booK? I searched Amazon, South Asia Books and Vedams Books. None of them have it.

A bit of googling reveals this:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo0004/00040200.htm

And

http://sify.com/shopping/book_detail.php?prodid=114873&cid=2

Edited by bong (log)