• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
scott123

Bacon Reloaded

i'm willing to wager that bacon bits would go well on Kimchi

Yes. Wonderfully. In fact a hamurger with kimchi and bacon is gorgeous.

But I think I know what Eunny means about the year-old kimchi.

New, bubbly, lightly tangy kimchi - sure. It's like a pickle, only tastier. And that hamburger does sound good (deviant that I am, I'd put a fried egg on it, too).

Fierce, long-buried sour stuff that's nothing but dark muddy undertones - great on rice, not so good on the breakfast table next to a plate of bacon. You hear me, Mom?

i revise my former opinion...i will attempt a bacon-chocolate cake sometime in the near future; furthermore, i believe a bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich could quite possibly be the key to peace among men... :smile:

How about a grilled bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich?

Sounds messy. What about deep frying it instead? After all, Elvis' favorite sandwich was a deep-fried banana and peanut butter sandwich...I bet he just never thought of putting bacon into it too... :laugh:

Elvis' favorite sandwich was a grilled PB&B.

Which, according to the Presley Family Cookbook, he grilled in bacon fat. So he wasn't that far off.

I'm sure you're right, but my first thought went to a bacon chicken teriyaki.

Why not just bacon teriyaki. Forget the chicken.

Sure. Samgyeopsal (Korean bacon) is often done on a tabletop grill as one would kalbi or bulgogi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

how about a grilled bacon, lobster, peanut butter, and cheese sandwich? :smile: I'd bite...

Nah, the cheese would overwhelm the delicate nuances of the peanut butter :raz: .

How about homemade bead and butter pickles instead? :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

how about a grilled bacon, lobster, peanut butter, and cheese sandwich? :smile: I'd bite...

Hmmmm... could you be more specific as to which kind of cheese?

The lobster and peanut butter is a tough call. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe it works on a Pad Thai kind of level. Veering in that direction, something sour might help to balance things like a lime/tamarind chutney.

Bacon, lobster, peanut butter and lime/tamarind chutney on rice bread - grilled?

The lobster and peanut butter is a tough call. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe it works on a Pad Thai kind of level. Veering in that direction, something sour might help to balance things like a lime/tamarind chutney.

Bacon, lobster, peanut butter and lime/tamarind chutney on rice bread - grilled?

i thought about that actually because when i ate at trio one of the dishes was lobster with peanut butter, bread and iced tea poured over the whole shebang...there were a couple other things going on, but i canna remember them...it was REALLY GOOD though...

i love that scene from the simpsons where honer makes bart wrap the bacon around his stick of butter before eating it...or was it sausage... :biggrin: yum!

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Grishna
      Coppa is a classic italian delicacy of matured cured meat. Not as widely known as prosciutto and, in my opinion, not  justifiably. The curing time takes weeks, as it should
      for a well matured and multilayered flavour. Good things come to those who wait, but while you do, why not treat yourself to a quick fix  of cooked coppa? Here is what I do:
      Salt the meat in 2% dry rub (nitrate salt and regular salt 50/50) in a vacuum bag for 5 days; Rub dry herbs and spices (whatever comes to mind). The meat will be sticky, so it's easy; Cook on rack above a tray in the oven on fan setting at 80 celcius to internal temperature 67 celsius.  This will take a couple of hours. When internal temperature reaches 60 -ish I add some boiling water in the tray to speed up the heat delivery; Cool in the fridge overnight; Enjoy. This is a seriously moreish ham.

• By devinp
      I just finished curing my first lomo, and all looks/smells/tastes great except a couple sections inside the lomo that could be black mold?  I kept the exterior clean from mold (I had mostly white and some green pop up during curing, but wiped with vinegar to keep clean).  This picture shows one of those spots closer to the edge in the fat, but there was a second near the middle of the loin that I cutout already.  Unless I find more substantial sections, I think I'm good just cutting away those parts, but would love second opinions..  Thanks.

• By CarsonWyler
      I'm looking for guanciale, preferably in the Sonoma County area but am willing to travel a bit or order online if necessary. Any ideas?
    • By Glen
      Looking to learn and ask questions about home curing meats.  I have an 11 lb batch of genoa salami going and it is my first batch.  Worried about the PH level not dropping as needed.  Need some advice.   I followed the Marianski recipe exactly.  I have a pH meter and the starting point was 6.15pH which I thought was unusually high.  2.5 months in, I am about 73% of starting weight yet my pH is only 5.88pH.  My curing chamber is consistently at 57deg. F. /80% humidity.  My pH tester seems calibrated properly using the calibration solutions.  I am using the meat probe adapter and just sticking it in the salami until the tip is submerged etc...Thanks in advance for any suggestions or reassurances. 

Glen

• By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide -knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.