• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Reloaded

scott123

After tasting peanut butter bacon cookies at the last eGullet NJ picnic, it has finally dawned on me that there is nothing on this planet that doesn't go well with bacon.

Am I stating the obvious here? Am I missing something?

Bacon reminds me of lecithin. Do you know the way that lecithin has a water loving head and fat loving tail?. Bacon has those same hermaphroditic qualities, except it's savory head and a sweet tail.

Come up with a food where bacon would be completely out of place.

I dare you :)

Though I dearly love bacon it would overpower most delicate Japanese dishes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mmm Bacon

it does go well with almost everything

Lemmie think...it might almost go with Sashimi.

Strangely I think it would clash with mutton curry.

neither would it go well with breakfast cereal

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Bacon and chocolate. No go. Nope. Absolutely Not. Sorry, thanks for playing. *buzzer*

Of course, I'm not Ukrainian. Another thread mentions the new chocolate covered pork fat skewers available there. (I know, pork fat does not necessarily equal bacon, but let's think ahead to "the next big thing.") :laugh::laugh:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

Something tells me that bacon and most desserts probably wouldn't sit very well. Bacon and cherry pie? Bacon lemon charlotte? Bacon bavarian? OK, that might be OK.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Bacon does NOT go with strong, year-old kimchi.

Please don't ask me how I know.

i'm willing to wager that bacon bits would go well on Kimchi

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

neither would it go well with breakfast cereal

Yet many have exactly this combination daily every morning ... :hmmm:

ewwwww! are you serious?!!

Bacon does NOT go with strong, year-old kimchi.

Please don't ask me how I know.

i'm willing to wager that bacon bits would go well on Kimchi

Yes. Wonderfully. In fact a hamurger with kimchi and bacon is gorgeous.

But I think I know what Eunny means about the year-old kimchi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

this thread reminds me of that simpsons episode where homer's driving down the street and a fudge truck and bacon truck overturn and smash into each other, landing the results in his hand :laugh:

bacon fat in chocolate cake? what about bacon and mont ice cream? :blink: don't know about that...

Though I dearly love bacon it would overpower most delicate Japanese dishes.

Such as?

I'm sure you're right, but my first thought went to a bacon chicken teriyaki.

And then it went to cucumber avocado bacon roll. Mmmmmmm...

Now bacon green tea ice cream... *squinting, pursing my lips* ...

*Long deep breath*

If it was offered me, I think I'd try it!

Anyone with a bacon haiku?

i revise my former opinion...i will attempt a bacon-chocolate cake sometime in the near future; furthermore, i believe a bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich could quite possibly be the key to peace among men... :smile:

i revise my former opinion...i will attempt a bacon-chocolate cake sometime in the near future; furthermore, i believe a bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich could quite possibly be the key to peace among men... :smile:

How about a grilled bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich?

How about a grilled bacon, lobster and warm peanut butter sandwich?

Sounds messy. What about deep frying it instead? After all, Elvis' favorite sandwich was a deep-fried banana and peanut butter sandwich...I bet he just never thought of putting bacon into it too... :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

There used to be a local cajun joint that had a sandwhich called the 'peacemaker' it was an oyster and bacon po-boy with some spicey sauce on it, quite good now that I remember it...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide